fishtales and Jurassic park

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ian Pretorius
    Participant
      @shaderbytes

Hey all

This is not visual pinball but i do us vpinmame. There does not seem to be any other appropriate category to choose from.

Anyway :

ss1
      ss1-1

i did do all custom models for all and also did some mods that are seen around the web ( especially Jurassic park ). I did use the texture of the playfield found on this site from the VPX version. otherwise there are no gameplay modifications and it all runs according to the rom.

I did a major reworking of many parts of the code so it is very up to date , published with Unity 2017.3 which uses the latest build using the latest physx. The tables are heavy to run do dont expect them to work on older rigs.

Fishtales:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pKGOkN85Zj9Jd8pjDWegAAC2ccp8Bbea

Jurassic Park :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sC9u5-CVlZu7-kDuBj54ZdxY_EO5-zPB

Cheers

Attachments:
      xenonph
      Participant
        @xenonph
        MemberContributor

They look great!!

One question, Are these similiar to that F1 table that was made a long time ago? Where you don’t have to install a pinball program or anything?

Also looks like you need DirectX 11 installed. I unzipped your EXE file with 7zip to see what was inside.

Is this a Unity 3D Pinball table?

Very interesting!!!

Ian Pretorius
        Participant
          @shaderbytes

hey Xenonph

I dont know about the F1 table made long ago, I didnt make it, I have only made 4 tables , elvis , tommy, jurassic park and fishtales. As mentioned these tables are cutting edge and the latter two do not support dx9 even. Dx9 is ancient in computer gaming/ shading years, i think the next version of Unity will dump dx9 support entirely as well.

Everything is bundled in the  installer for the game to work with no external dependencies. The installer will install the latest vpinmame and register the dll and set the paths in the registry etc. It will prompt you to choose a directory for this to be installed , i normally use the same one i made for the game.

Sadly this does mess up the paths for those who already have vpinmame installed and set up prior to this. The problem is that if you use visual pinball after installing my game and it loads the other vpm, the paths will be wrong in vpm. They all share paths sadly this is not local to the object and all versions of vpm will look to the same place in the registry for the paths. it is a catch 22 for me, because i just want my game to run without asking the user to tinker with anything.  Many dont even know what visual pinball or vpinmame even is. I manage to achieve this by setting the paths in the installer.

perhaps down the line if somebody could tell me where to look in the registry for if vpm is installed and what version and also what directory , i could test for this and then skip this step

I use Unity engine but this is not related to unit3d or any other sim, it is my own. There is sadly a bug in Unity for using dual shift and ctrl keys so currently it only works as expected with a game pad. I have reported the issue to unity and the QA team did test and have confirmed the issue, how long we will have to wait for a fix now i dont know. At first it was the shift keys , so i had to move my flipper code to the control keys. Now it is that as well so im stuck. they do fire, just not at the same time ;(

these two tables are based on the first two tables but i did a major over haul of many components. The menu system uses sqlite now so all values are in a database stored locally per game.

Anyway thanks for the kind words, i dont own a cabinet (real or virtual ) ,im not aware of any cabinet tweaks that could/should be added. I just play on a desktop.

xenonph
          Participant
            @xenonph
            MemberContributor

Cool!!

Thanks for the info!!

Fishtales is one of my favorite tables!!

So that F1 table made a long time ago was simiar to this as you didn’t need to have Visual Pinball installed or PinMAME. All you did was click the exe and the table started, without installing anything.

I am also a Desktop table user only. (Although I plan to make cabinet soon!!)

I have always thought that having tables in this type of format would make it so much easier for new people to play these tables without having to figure out how to install everything.(Also love the idea of not having to install anything, before playing table.)

(They have made it easier for beginners to get tables running with an All-In-One installer that installs everything you need to run these tables, except the tables, backglasses, and roms.), But this type of format would really make it alot easier for the beginners!!

Both tables really look great!! But its the not having to install VP that makes it stand out to me!!

Great job!!

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

You did the Tommy table? I recall that in unity and still have it in my cab today and sadly yes I need to mess with paths in vpu mame after but Tommy sure looks good! Have not had any time to mess with pinball last few weeks but will sure give these a look when I get time. Thanks for sharing the unity builds :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

I love these. So many VPX graphic limitations just vaporized. Would be great to see something like this developed further. I know there was an attempt a few years ago.

What is the knowledge base needed to build these?

Ian Pretorius
                Participant
                  @shaderbytes

Thanks Guys, I bit the bullet and worked on the installer all day now so that it will detect if you have vpinmame already installed and skip installing those files ( except the rom which I will add to the existing vpinmame roms directory) if it doesnt exist. I have not applied this to the current uploaded installers just yet, there is one more issue i would like to have some light shed upon and that is the version of the current vpimame should one already be installed. as of now i cant see this stored in the registry anywhere. Anyway im glad i at least did all the hard work mostly today , from this no more messing up the paths ;)

i will keep you guy posted as to when the installer have been updated to use this better logic. Man i despise working in NSIS code ( the installer software) .. it’s like a mixed bag of assembly , phython ,php etc.. im so grateful to work with higher level languages coming from this each time ;)

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  markrock76
                  Participant
                    @markrock76

Thank you for these tables they are a lot of fun.  But from installing them I messed up my vpinmame installation for visual pinball.  The paths were changed.  So I changed the defaults back to the old location but I can no longer run color dmds and sam tables.  It can not locate dmddevice.  What do I do to fix these issues?  What do I change to get everything to look back at the previous location?  Rerun the installer and point to the old location?  Will it remove my old settings and stored dmd locations?

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

You should be pretty safe with running the installer an pointing to same location yes. If you want color you still have to get pinmame from VPU. Don’t know why dmddevice isn’t working for you though. Is it located in \visual pinball\pinmame folder ? That’s where I suggest it should be.

Ian Pretorius
                      Participant
                        @shaderbytes

the installer has the entire vpinmame directory and files in it, the default one that gets installed when you install visual pinball , i have updated the  vpinmame dll to version 3 i think. Anyway if you do even install into the same directory it will only overwrite any files if it is itself newer anyways.

The new installer will currently even skip this step if it finds vpinmame already exists( not published yet ) still in development..

Sorry for your problems , im not doing anything except dumping the vpinmame folder where ever you point it. The dll is registered though so you will need to run the setup.exe inside the original folder of vpinmame again. Also dont only change the paths , click install as well so it re registers your local version of vpinmame. Hope that helps :)

EDIT: also while you have the setup running also check the “default” settings ,I know i hide the vpinmame dmd ii my games, so perhaps this is also a cause of your issues and can be check as well.

markrock76
                        Participant
                          @markrock76

I reran the installer and pointed to my usual vpinmame location and all is good now.  Thanks for the tips!

DJRobX
                            @djrobx
                            MemberModerator

perhaps down the line if somebody could tell me where to look in the registry for if vpm is installed and what version and also what directory , i could test for this and then skip this step

Just give the user the option to skip VPM setup if HKCU\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame exists.

Ian Pretorius
                            Participant
                              @shaderbytes

yeah im doing this now but it is a bit more complicated , i actually look for the existence of the roms folder, if it exists i do skip but i also install the rom into that directory if it is found :)  i will consider a checkbox , currently it is all automated so no need to even prompt a user. it is not uploaded still on my machine, the uploaded installers still dont have this yet.

Ian Pretorius
                              Participant
                                @shaderbytes

i updated the fist post with a gameplay video now ;)

I also rebuilt and published all 4 my games using the newest version of Unity and i changed the installer to sniff for if you have vpinmame already installed and will not overwrite any of its contents if it find it ,will only dump rom in the roms folder. I also added a menu option to push the backboard to a second display if you have one. I improved the nudge and also added an menu option to invert the ball direction on nudge should you want to use that.

pinball fishtales
                                https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fUFF4hTIBqbYJkHdCY9SDpOi8QMtcN-z

pinball jurassicpark
                                https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lQviDbw-Ef-uKNTdnlaTTYztSY_pG94z

tommy pinball
                                https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LX16kgzZOi8T0KjxVlI-CTX5k277WF3J

pinball elvis
                                https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ouzV2sqQPBtACVLWjdZjcvBlhyuGZyn_

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                vogliadicane
                                Participant
                                  @vogliadicane

the graphics are simply amazing!

WallClock
                                  Participant
                                    @wall

Thanks for tables !! Is there a procedure to get these full screen for cabinet users ?  Thanks again!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?