Flipper lag 4k at 60hz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnnyb613
    Participant
      @johnnyb613

I originally set up my VPX environment on my arcade cabinet which has a 21″ CRT monitor.  Everything was fine. I am in the process of building a dedicated table and bought a 4k TV, (LG – 43″ Class – LED – 6 Series 4K- 2160p – Smart – 4K UHD TV with HDR) and it is laggy.  I found another thread and the solution was to get a better HDMI cable and bump it up to 60hz.  I am already running at 60hz (at least that is what I have it set to, I don’t know how to tell if it really is) and it is still laggy.  I selected game mode on the TV, and that made a noticeable improvement, but it still isn’t right.  If I change the settings to 1920 x 1080 at 120 hz it is perfect… As far as game play goes… but not nearly as clear.  Any ideas of what to try next? I would hate to think I need to punt and go out and buy another 43″ TV…

Badazzwi
      Participant
        @badazzwi

More info is needed for being able to provide better advice.

What graphics card are you using? What are your vp settings? Do you notice lag on all tables?

Running at 4k can definitely cause performance issues. You may need to change some things. Pressing f11 during a game will give you your framerates and flipper response time.

Monitors typically have less lag time than TVs but with the right hardware and settings you should be able to run smooth. I use a lg tv at 4k running smooth.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

The Loafer
        Participant
          @theloafer

Different TV’s have different lag, so it’s hard to nail down specifically your issue.  I would say first off, post a pic of your VP preferences so we can at least sort out if you have anything weird set in there. For example, some people forget once they connect to a 4K TV to take off FXAA and other anti-aliasing settings (at 4K none are needed IMHO and if you are using it, well it’s the equivalent of running on an 8K or 16K TV so of course it would lag).

Some TV’s also support “PC mode” where if you label one of your HDMI port as PC, it will provide proper justscan support (as well as other advantages).  Sometimes there’s only ONE port that will support this. Your instruction manual is your friend here, as this is usually identified in the manual (or google is your friend, just type in your TV make and model number and “connecting to a PC” should bring you the info you need)

For the better quality HDMI cable, that has to do with I think the 2.0 standard. HDMI 1.4 standard allowed 4K at 30hz so you need a 2.0 standard at 4K @ 60hz.  You can tell if you are connected at 60hz by right clicking on the desktop and choosing “display settings” then select “advanced display settings”. Your refresh rate will show up there along with the resolution you are running in. If you see 30hz, the cable is your issue.

FYI there are a lot of cheap HDMI cables that support the 2.0 standard, it’s not always indicated/advertised as 2.0. One of my cheap cables here didn’t support 2.0 while another did.  SO don’t panic if you see 30hz, just swap that cable with another you have around and it may do the trick. 2.0 standard don’t have to be expensive!

Good luck!

johnnyb613
          Participant
            @johnnyb613

Wow!  Thanks! I feel a little silly now, turns out it was the Ambient Occlusion… It took me three times watching Terry Red’s amazing setup video to get things right, I specifically remember him talking about it.  I had turned it on and it did great on the 1280 x 1024 CRT so I was all “Hey, my PC supports it” and then didn’t even think to try turning it off when I had problems.  I actually narrowed it down even more.  I can have it enabled, it is the second check box that causes the lag, “Update in-game”

I still have other issues to work out..  For some reason now my LG randomly turns off in the middle of a game. I will find a manual for it so I can tweak the settings.

I am attaching a screenshot of my video settings, just in case I have still something wrong.

By the way, I am computer literate, despite how diving in to VP makes me feel lol.  Exchange Migration, AD Migrations, firewall setups… No problem.  This Visual Pinball stuff is more complicated than any of that!

Attachments:
            johnnyb613
            Participant
              @johnnyb613

And I just now saw the Anti-Aliasing settings and turned those off…  Thanks again!

The Loafer
              Participant
                @theloafer

Yeah was gonna note that last. That was probably your biggest issue (anti aliasing)

also try vsync and frame limiter at 1 each. Makes a big difference on my pc

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?