Four Million BC (Bally 1971)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/four-million-bc-bally-1971/

Thanks to Bord for his excellent Blender magic that really makes these tables look photo-realistic.  Some of the renders took over 24 hours of processor time to complete so be sure to thank him for his work on this table.

Also thanks to Slydog43 who actually owns a 4MBC and scanned his plastics for us.  He also play tested the table to make 4MBC play as close to the real thing as possible.   Lastly thanks to KDS70 for testing the table out, I always feel like most all of the bugs are found once he’s put a table through the paces.

Four Million BC features a “Volcano” saucer that can trap a ball and release it with the right side mushroom bumper as well as a three stage “Tar Pit” that can be advanced with the center mushroom.  The top of the playfield features a “Bird Ramp” (really a reptile ramp) that lights the three Thumper Bumpers as well as scores 1000 points per roll over if the topmost rollover is hit and the ball doesn’t touch a 10 point scoring rubber.

The game also has “Zipper Flippers” and the lower roll over buttons activate either the left outlane kicker or open the shooter lane gate.

The table has my usual “Options Menu” that can be accessed when the game is in standby mode by holding down the left flipper button.  Please be aware that the “Chimes On” and “Chimes Off” selection refers to real DOF controlled chime units.  If you don’t have one of these please select “Chimes Off” for the recorded chime sounds.

Lastly, this table incorporates some new sound handling routines for under playfield speakers.  The various “Active Ball” controlled sounds have been tweaked to make them as realistic as possible in terms of pan/fade location as well as volume.  There is also a new PlayFieldSound routine is used to pass objects as the location for large object sounds like bumpers and gates.

Bord’s new B2S is included for ease of installation.  There is a new DOF online config for this table as of 6/16/18.

“Four Million BC, the table that proves that burlap is the world’s oldest fabric.”

Total of 29 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Incredible build!

Thanks for all the work you guys do :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Ben Logan2
        Participant
          @benlogan2

Looks fantastic

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Oh no. Once again, a great release just as I’ve gone to bed. Been watching the WIP thread so I know that this looks great. Thank you very much Scott, Bord, Slydog and kds70 for all your efforts. I’m really looking forward to play this tomorrow afternoon. :rose:

Draifet
            Participant
              @draifet

Thanks for this one, I played it a little before going to sleep and it’s very fun, I love the art and u did an excellent job, I love the reflections on the walls.

A question/suggestion, the rampmetalcover_prim isn’t tagged as collidable, and when u use the plunger at full, the ball cross the ramp cover without going under it, I tried as collidable and I think it works fine too, but without this graphic issue.

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

Man @draifet, that’s a serious plunger you’ve got. Never happened to me with a full plunge.

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

my plunge is crazy strong and goes through that primitive as well.  I’m also missing the reel image for the desktop scoring.

Scottacus
                  Participant
                    @scottacus
                    MembervipContributor

New version uploaded with Draifet Ramp to prevent balls from ripping through the metal ramp cover prim.  Also locked out game start with options menu open as well as fixed desktop image and reel issues (Thanks BorgDog).

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Crazy busy weekend here with a wedding and then Father’s Day but will try this in cab Monday night for sure.

for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                        @hauntfreaks
                        vipContributorMember

a compliment, issue, and a question walk into a bar… ;)

this is a real beauty guys..thank you, I’ve always want a great version of this and Gator… hint hint

i’m getting no ball shadow if its set to on or off in the menu

I’m curious why there is no color lookup being used?

anyway it’s all around stunning

Draifet
                        Participant
                          @draifet

Thanks for the update, maybe I have found another thing, check the slinghshots values please, cause one is set to 1/1/1,3 and the the other to 1/1,3/1 (for my personal taste I set them to force 1,8 and saw that).

bord
                            @bord

I can field this one and the answer is based on conjecture. I typically use a 1:1 LUT. My assumption was that no LUT was giving me very close to the same thing. With a heavily rendered project I’ve already used a specific curve and gamma in Blender to give me the look I want. I was happy with that look on my monitor when importing my textures to VPX so I didn’t add the LUT. So: lazy but got what I wanted. Not tested, but I wouldn’t think a neutral LUT could hurt, or a punchier one if that’s your thing.

HauntFreaks
                              @hauntfreaks
                              vipContributorMember

I can field this one and the answer is based on conjecture. I typically use a 1:1 LUT. My assumption was that no LUT was giving me very close to the same thing. With a heavily rendered project I’ve already used a specific curve and gamma in Blender to give me the look I want. I was happy with that look on my monitor when importing my textures to VPX so I didn’t add the LUT. So: lazy but got what I wanted. Not tested, but I wouldn’t think a neutral LUT could hurt, or a punchier one if that’s your thing.

see thats great info… so what your saying is when you prerender the scene its done with a pre-cognizance that the correct LUT is baked in?

HauntFreaks
                                @hauntfreaks
                                vipContributorMember

one of these is the stock setup, the other has a luts added, little light adjust, and environment adjust…

temp6

Attachments:
                                Scottacus
                                Participant
                                  @scottacus
                                  MembervipContributor

New Updated Version Uploaded

Haunt, ball shadow fixed with new update, thanks for finding this!

Of course you can set the slings however you like.  These are set to be as close to Slydog’s table as possible (from videos he sent me).   The reason why the two slings have different values is that at a lower strength, there is a tendency for the slings to just launch the ball back and forth for unusually long periods of time.  Making one slightly stronger than the other prevents this oscillation from happening.

There are three things about this table that I really like, the “Bird Ramp” launch, three stage Tar Pit and Volcano.

The Bird Ramp cross table launch shot is an absolutely great game design feature that Ted Zale put into this game.  If you shoot too hard you are assured of three lit Thumper Bumpers but no big points.  If you shoot too light you miss out on 100 point scores because the bumpers aren’t lit but if you shoot just right, the ball rolls back down with 3000 bonus points.  Then any 10 point score shuts the 1000 point bonus off but the ball tends to go right back to the shooter lane so the shot can be made again for 6000 points.  To prevent this Zale makes the game shut the shooter lane gate once the ball hits the first rollover on the “Bird Ramp.”   Great design.

The second is the three stage Tar Pit with it’s new accurate animated mechanism.  This is the second Bally table that I’ve built that has a multistage ball capture (the other is Capersville) and I’ve wondered just exactly how this mechanism works?  In Capersville the mechanism is hidden under a plastic so the game just has invisible walls but 4MBC has the mechanism in plain view so I knew we had to do something a little special for this one.     If you think from a designers point of view you need a mechanism that always lets the ball move down by only one stage and never lets the ball skip a stage.  If you just put in individual stops that drop and raise it is possible that the mechanism cycles too fast and the ball never moves to the next stop and if the mechanism cycles too slow the ball could skip a stage.  The solution was to make the ball stop on the front side of a rotating index at the top of the next stage and then rotate that index back to it’s start position to hold the ball there.   Bord and I made a multistage routine to replicate the mechanism using invisible walls and rotating primitives.

Lastly the Volcano with its light cycle for point scores of 1000 – 5000 when the ball leaves the saucer is pretty cool.  Slydog said that the real game has a small motor that runs when the ball is trapped and that motor controls the light cycle.  With his help I was able to find a motor sound that exactly matched the sound his game makes and have it loop while the game is on and a ball is trapped in the Volcano.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                  bord
                                    @bord

see thats great info… so what your saying is when you prerender the scene its done with a pre-cognizance that the correct LUT is baked in?

I make the major color/contrast choices with a LUT in Blender, yes. A neutral LUT in VPX stays pretty close to what I prerendered in Blender. These days it is warm light from the GI and slightly cooler light from the environment. Like shooting with film, roll off the highlights gracefully and protect the shadow details without making them too light.  It changes with  every project but seemed good when I was setting up the render.

one of these is the stock setup, the other has a luts added, little light adjust, and environment adjust…

For a table from this era I prefer the warmer colors on the left and am undecided on the contrast boost that you see in the shadows on the right. Scott was good enough to let me work on the graphics and turn in the version that I wanted to see. I’m glad everyone can tweak it to their liking.

rothbauerw
                                      @rothbauerw
                                      ModeratorContributorMembervip

Fantastic table!  You should also add it to the VPX Tables section.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

Added to vpx section too so shows as updated but only change is added to to the other section

********************************************************
                                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                        Mark70
                                        Participant
                                          @mark70

Thanks a lot to everyone involved for another great release

TXT11
                                          Participant
                                            @txt11

Looks good and plays good, but like many VPX versions of tables, I still love the vintage sound of the previous VP9 version:bye:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?