Four Million BC (Bally 1971)

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    bord
      @bord
      MembervipContributorModerator

@bord what rendering took over 24 hours?

I honestly don’t remember – it would have been something that I baked. At the time in my workflow I was using an old graphics card and baking a bunch of stuff with GI lighting. In order to get it clean enough to use I would set the thing up at 24,000 samples and let it go for a day. Even then some metals would come out noisy.

Different workflow and computer these days. I recently re-modeled and re-rendered everything for 4MBC and the overall render time for every single thing couldn’t have been more than a couple hours (thankfully).

LTA
      Participant
        @luvthatapex

Love this game. What a great EM!

Scottacus
        Participant
          @scottacus
          MembervipContributor

@Bord does such an awesome job at Blender renderings that he has really pushed the state of the art to a high level in terms of VP!  He redid the graphics for a new version of 4MBC that should be out in the next month or so that are really stunning.  The overall look of the table is fantastic in terms of light and shadow but what is really cool is when you look at all of the subtle details like playfield reflections off of metal walls.  Very nice!

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

@bord what rendering took over 24 hours?

I honestly don’t remember – it would have been something that I baked. At the time in my workflow I was using an old graphics card and baking a bunch of stuff with GI lighting. In order to get it clean enough to use I would set the thing up at 24,000 samples and let it go for a day. Even then some metals would come out noisy.

Different workflow and computer these days. I recently re-modeled and re-rendered everything for 4MBC and the overall render time for every single thing couldn’t have been more than a couple hours (thankfully).

Curiosity satisfied, thanks, you did a great job. :)

I bought a new work station a while back with ryzen thread ripper (16 cores 32 threads) and it sped up render times by at least 5x compared to my older quad core i7 set up, which I still use.  It also made it possible to render single frames at top quality without causing 3dsmax to lock up and die, but it’s rare I need to render anything at that high of quality.  I know the BOP helmet renders took around an hour per frame, maybe a bit longer and I’m pretty sure that was still on my older PC,  I rendered that at almost max quality off a fairly high poly model.  The longest time I’ve spent rendering was for animations.  Once in a while I’m ambitious enough to do some animating,  my imperial walker-walk cycle video (5mins then loops) took about 5 days of rendering.  As I mentioned in the ‘cabinet connected to internet’ thread I have my arcade pc’s and workstations all networked so they can double as a render farm, so at some points I would have as many as 4 pc’s rendering at once.  A bunch of the sequences I had to re-render because there would be some tiny detail or something that was off that I wouldn’t notice until half way through the render or even worse, not until it was finished.  I also did a few camera-match videos with the AT-AT, and those took really long to render since I was trying to match them to the real life scene lighting, so it required high quality rendering but then also a bunch of post effects to make it match the scene without looking unnaturally too sharp in the scene.  Physics based motion blurs are brutal on render time but are absolutely necessary for realism.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
            JR
          Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?