FPS in Visual Pinball 9 and X slows down while playing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mrdremel
    Participant
      @mrdremel

Hi all,

I’ve been a cabinet Future Pinball player for years now and have now finally begun trying Visual Pinball.

I do run into some issues. I can get tables running just fine. I get the roms running and the backglasses great. However, when I play a table for a while, the whole system slowly starts to well…get slow.

I have an nVidia GT 1030 (2 GB) and a Pentium G 4400 with 8 GB ram and the system runs from an SSD.

e.g. I run Twilight zone. I start out at 140 FPS. Great! plays realy nice. But after about 10 mins playtime, I end up with 44 FPS. When I press F11 at the start, I can monitor the FPS and see it getting worse and worse while playing. If I close Visual Pinball X and restart it, load the table and play it…great. I start off at 140 FPS again.

I have this with many titles so far. As I am a newbie to Visual Pinball, what could be causing this?

I never have this with Future Pinball.

EDIT: I have tried quiting back to the editor as well and rerunning the table. When I do it like that, the table is still slow. When I completely exit Visual Pinball, as is well again…for a few minutes.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

See if this program might be able to help you somewhat. https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=39670&page=1

And, a 1030 isn’t a beast either. So, experiment with turning off different AA settings under graphics settings ( inside vpx ). The new VPX has a one-button-click tuner for lower specs machines. Write down the settings you’ve got now and then press and start with that. Gradually increasing and testing until you find something that is acceptable. Or, consider upgrading your gpu at some point. It should be ok to play in 1080p as it is comparable to a 750ti that I used to play with a while back. But, there are some tables out there that simply demands more.

mrdremel
        Participant
          @mrdremel

I’ll give this a go. I do understand what your saying about the video card, but this really seems to be something different. I see this behavior with all tables slowly creeping in. Also I have set everything to low and no AA enabled at all. At first I hit 160 FPS now. But it still drops back to a low fps at the end.

At first I thought it was something with the GPU temperature, but when I exit the executable and reopen and reload the table (takes 12 seconds), the issue is gone for a while. When I exit the table back to the editor, wait 10 minutes and hit play again, it is still slow.

I’ll download the tool and see what it does for me.

mrdremel
          Participant
            @mrdremel

Well, that was a nogo. It only drops the speed down to half of my FPS. It switches from 2 cores to just 1. And it is now unplayable. A lot of stutter in sound and controls are sluggish.

That was not an improvement.

JR
            Participant
              @jfr1

Hm, does seem odd that it starts out ok and then slows down.  I have a weak set-up and TZ is one of a few tables that’s unplayable….but right from the start.  I still boot it up to bap the ball about and learn the game but then move on to lesser demanding tables.  But that may be one table to skip for now.  Have you done the ddraw adjustment in registry? I do a bunch of adjustments in the table user customizations and video graphics options to get things smooth.  Also there are adjustments on the backglass to help with lower powered machines.  Maybe post some screen shots of those settings?  There are some real wizards here that may spot something to try.

Good luck…

Jesperpark
              Participant
                @jesperpark

Speaking strictly about vp10 I would recommend locking the FPS to 60fps. As well make sure to try and run exclusive fullscreen.  Backglasses can effect performance as well.  Also make sure to shut down vp10 completely before starting a new table.  Like said above, post you vp graphics settings, there is probably something there that can be tweaked

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

I also set my FPS to 60.  Don’t think that’s the choice for better set ups but works for me.

VPXsettings

mrdremel
                  Participant
                    @mrdremel

I understand that I need to exit the current running table in order to properly start another one.

I did the tweak to run exclusive fullscreen. Also locked it at 60 FPS, but after a while it still drops below 60 and starts to stutter.

When I totally drop down my settings and details in VP9, i get positive results. FPS stays at 600 FPS+!!!. VP10 however still starts at a few 100 FPS and after a while still drops to unacceptable levels (45 FPS and lower).

I don’t understand what is causing this. I am getting a GTX 1050 Ti tomorrow, so will move on with that card and I really hope this fixes it definitively.

JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

A 1050 Ti should solve your issues…unless…you have a gremlin!  And it sounds like you do. .. so you may be doomed;)  I also need to upgrade my GPU so report back with how your upgrade goes.  Have fun!

mrdremel
                      Participant
                        @mrdremel

Well that definitely fixed it. Still seems strange that tables startes off at more than 4 times the vsync FPS and still it would stop working correctly.

Now I have everything set to the highest settings and all is fine. Batman table looks ridiculously beautiful now!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?