FPT Tables to VPT Tables

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Diguelo
    Participant
      @diguelo

Is this even possible, seeing as the editor has to be modofied to FTP setup and BAM to make these tables work.

At the moment Im studying the script system on VPT and its a lot to take in at once.

Any information or previous posts links etc would be greatly appreciated

Silver ball go that way, as eyes went this way, GAME OVER !!

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

Is this even possible, seeing as the editor has to be modofied to FTP setup and BAM to make these tables work.

At the moment Im studying the script system on VPT and its a lot to take in at once.

Any information or previous posts links etc would be greatly appreciated

To put it simply…. it’s A LOT of work…. and in some cases simply not possible to recreate the same table. The “only” benefit is the physics are a bit better. In all other ways… the lighting / rendering and music simply won’t be as good as it is on FP-BAM.

You are better off putting in time creating / converting to VPE (when it’s fully featured) than converting from FP to VP. In fact… some would rather create on FP…convert to FBX / blender….. and then use that in VPE.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=43651

Diguelo
        Participant
          @diguelo

I see. I thought that would be the case, so just to clear this up for me and all the other readers, there are a few versions of table formats:-

Visual Pinball  This runs files with .VPT  & .VPX extensions.

Future Pinball This runs files with .FPT extensions

Future Pinball with BAM

Ive already torn a couple of tables to pieces and the navigation is way different across the types. Have I missed any Pinball Creation tools, my library of tables and building stuff is already at the 15GB size, not that im short on space. Just like this genre a lot.

TerryRed
            @terryred

Visual Pinball 9, PM5 = .vpt

Visual Pinball X = .vpx

All Future Pinball tables (including those that require BAM) = .fpt

The only other main stream editor (and the next generation) will be VPE.

Diguelo
            Participant
              @diguelo

Thanks for that.

So the vpt tables are the ones that have to use the exe collection in the main folder. Thats a great help, many thanks once more for the info. It all helps.

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

There are only a handful of vpt tables that are left that haven’t been converted to vpx.  There may be more but the resources for them are not good enough to convert.  I would say there are only probable 5 or less vpt tables left with decent resources.  Besides , we are almost done with VPX so vpt should be banned and never spoken of again soon, lol

Diguelo
                Participant
                  @diguelo

Yep and legacy games should be discarded to history. Wait that means giving up on loads of useful and fun games to play. Old does not mean discard, just means they are pre updated models. They all took time to build, I know my old programs still get referred to for new build.

So I can take it that the VPX format is goiung to be superceeded now by BAM and FP.

makmak
                  Participant
                    @makmak

“So I can take it that the VPX format is goiung to be superceeded now by BAM and FP.”

Definitely NO.

VPE will superceed VPX.

TerryRed
                      @terryred

Some FP tables you will only ever see on FP-BAM. Even with VPE…. unless VPE has tools created that gives similar features to BAM’s for authors to use (without the table author needing to be a software dev)…then some tables simply won’t be converted…or at the very least not to be the same game.

As for VPX…. VPE will be able to import a VPX table and convert it to VPE format. The scripting would still need to be adapted properly (VP uses vbs, VPE most likely C#) but a large part of the work will be done to prevent the need to rebuild a table from scratch.

LynnInDenver
                      Participant
                        @lynnindenver

So I can take it that the VPX format is goiung to be superceeded now by BAM and FP.

Doubtful in the extreme… as useful as BAM is bringing FP into a more modern age in spite of the abandonware state of FP, it can only do so much, including the fact that, there’s a chance that FP itself may cease working under Windows with no more recourse. Ravercade is actually contributing to the Visual Pinball Engine.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

FB cease to work under Windows??

TerryRed
                            @terryred

FB cease to work under Windows??

Only if a Windows update severely prevents certain core functions from working. This can also happen to VPX… but the difference is, VPX could be updated to some extent to extend its life (where possible), whereas the FP exe can’t because it isn’t open sourced (rav can only do so much).

By the time that could be a “real” concern, (for both VPX and FP), I imagine VPE will be the main focus, and will be in use for years at that point…. but then again…. Unity could be bought by Facebook or someone else and its Terms of Service / Use could change which could also affect VPE’s capabilities,etc.

It’s been 12 years… and FP still runs in all setups just fine…. so I think it will be good to go for years to come… until VPE hopefully offers authors similar tools to create tables with similar features with ease (again…without the need for the table author to be a Unity dev).

AndyMcDandyCDN
                            Participant
                              @andymcdandycdn

Hi all, there is an old FP table called “Thundercats” that I would love to try my hands at making it work/converting to VP.  I found a YouTuber that did a 6 part video on converting FP to VP but with no audio, I find it hard to follow.

Any suggestions or links to official manuals on doing either upgrading a FP table to current FP-BAM or converting to VPX?

Thanks.

Diguelo
                              Participant
                                @diguelo

Good luck with that. I used to watch that as a kid.

Probably would be best to start a new thread on that one though

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?