This topic contains 62 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  knightrider 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
     TerryRed 
    MemberContributorModerator

Open command prompt

Change directory to where your VPinmame is.

run this command, edited for your position:

dmdext.exe mirror –source=pinballfx3 -q -d auto –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position=2320 1650 1024 -pinup PinUP\[GAMENAME]

That should bring up dmdext running.

Note…that some of the dashes are getting cut in the “pasting” of text.

There are two dashes with:

--source=pinballfx3

--fx3-legacy

--virtual-hide-grip

--virtual-position

I can’t properly paste it in for you as the forum removes the extra characters.

Kleig 
    Participant

Ok that worked I think.  The Virtual DMD is up on the third screen blank and waiting for input.  On the cmd window however i do get this error.

[1] 2018/07/07 18:21:14.228 ERROR | Cannot load C:\Emulators\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\dmddevicePUP.DLL

TerryRed 

Sorry… I forgot to remove the pinup in the paste.

Remove this from your command line that you are testing:

--pinup PINUP\[GAMENAME]

Then if you can get it working…then my guess is you pasted into Popper without the extra dashes in the first place.

Kleig 
    Participant

Ok this is what I get running the test as soon as Pinballfx3 loads it crashes DMDext.

[5] 2018/07/07 18:42:15.810 INFO | Frames coming in from Pinball FX3.
    [4] 2018/07/07 18:42:28.857 DEBUG | Handle lost, stopping capture.
    [4] 2018/07/07 18:42:28.857 INFO | Frames stopped from Pinball FX3.
    [4] 2018/07/07 18:42:28.857 INFO | Exiting.
    [4] 2018/07/07 18:42:28.873 DEBUG | Disposing Render Graph…
    [4] 2018/07/07 18:42:28.873 INFO | Source for 1 renderer(s) stopped.

TerryRed 

Was this ever working for you before?

If you are using the legacy flag…you need to setup FX3 according to freezy’s instructions and also the cabinet settings for fx3.

Otherwise, remove the legacy flag and try running both fx3 and dmdext as admin.

Kleig 
    Participant

I was working before and I didn’t have to run as  admin.  I’ll double check the installation and instructions.

Thank you so much.  My next venture after this is to get DOF and DOFlinx working…  Wish me luck!

TerryRed 

I was working before and I didn’t have to run as admin. I’ll double check the installation and instructions.

Thank you so much. My next venture after this is to get DOF and DOFlinx working… Wish me luck!

OK, then you are probably good with that.

…assuming you have 1.7.1, just use my command example from my instructions, but make sure you have the extra dashes i pointed out. That’s probably all you need.

1 user thanked author for this post.
     Kleig 
    Participant

Thank you for all your help!  I re-installed it a second time and everything works perfectly now.

Thanks again! :good:

Jarpenner 
    Participant

You make mention of editing the command line for dmdext.exe rather than running Pinball FX3 and dmdext.exe as “Admin”.

e.g.

start /min “” “dmdext.exe” mirror –source=pinballfx3 –fx3-legacy -q -d auto –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position=3400 5 400 –pinup PINUP\[GAMENAME]

Is this done within the dmdext.exe.config file? If so where does that line go?

What do the Virtual positions make reference to? –virtual-position=3400 (X Axis of DMD?) 5 (?)400 (Y Axis of the DMD Position?)

What do you mean by double dashes?

Thanks.

JOhn

TerryRed 

You make mention of editing the command line for dmdext.exe rather than running Pinball FX3 and dmdext.exe as “Admin”.

e.g.

start /min “” “dmdext.exe” mirror –source=pinballfx3 –fx3-legacy -q -d auto –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position=3400 5 400 –pinup PINUP\[GAMENAME]

Is this done within the dmdext.exe.config file? If so where does that line go?

What do the Virtual positions make reference to? –virtual-position=3400 (X Axis of DMD?) 5 (?)400 (Y Axis of the DMD Position?)

What do you mean by double dashes?

Thanks.

JOhn

I highly recommend NOT running as admin fx3.exe or dmdext. Period. PuP-Packs, and PuP SSF won’t close right. So use the --fx3-legacy and not run as admin.

If someone still insists on running as admin, then I’m talking about setting the pinball fx3.exe and dmdext.exe as admin….but don’t come crying to me for help after.

Yes, virtual position is x,y and width of the virtual freezy DMD if you are using that. (don’t use that option if you have real DMD)

Vpinball filters out certain characters when pasting text. So the –fx3-legacy as an example normally has 2 dashes at the beginning, but it may show up as a single dash, and if you guys copy and paste that command example instead of actually reading freezy’s notes,etc… then you will paste the wrong command.

Ken Lowe 
    Participant

Hi,

After upgrading to Freezy’s DMDExt 1.7  my dmd is doubled and ugly with extra lines and shadows, I have made a 30 sec youtube vid to show what is happening.  Does anyone have any ideas how to clean this up?

Please let me know

Thanks

Ken

TerryRed 

Hi,

After upgrading to Freezy’s DMDExt 1.7 my dmd is doubled and ugly with extra lines and shadows, I have made a 30 sec youtube vid to show what is happening. Does anyone have any ideas how to clean this up?

<iframe allowfullscreen=”” style=”border:none;” src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/3Viw_ddkJbw?autoplay=1&rel=1″ id=”fitvid827016″></iframe>

Please let me know

Thanks

Ken

A couple of things…

You might be seeing both your freezy dmd and your fx3 dmd.

First your FX3 cabinet settings for the FX3 DMD needs to be 1040 x 272 exactly! Then you need to position the FX3 DMD off screen so you don’t see it.

After that you should see a clean Freezy DMD with nice dots if you positioned it correctly.

Ken Lowe 
    Participant

Thanks Terry,

I am both embarrassed and mystified, embarrassed that I didn’t re-check the setting in FX3 before posting and mystified as to how they could have reverted back to my old settings.

I’m still struggling with this update, If I try to run without DMDExt as Amin and with the –fx3-legacy tag, it won’t run the pup pack but if I do run DMDExt as Amin and without the legacy tag it runs pup pack in Popper but not in pbx.

TerryRed 

Thanks Terry,

I am both embarrassed and mystified, embarrassed that I didn’t re-check the setting in FX3 before posting and mystified as to how they could have reverted back to my old settings.

I’m still struggling with this update, If I try to run without DMDExt as Amin and with the –fx3-legacy tag, it won’t run the pup pack but if I do run DMDExt as Amin and without the legacy tag it runs pup pack in Popper but not in pbx.

Careful about what your dmdext command is…I mentioned that sometimes slashes and dashes get lost when pasting text. the –fx3-legacy tag has 2 dashes at the beginning and so do others. –source=pinballfx3 –fx3-legacy –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position= –pinup ALL have 2 dashes as well.

If you aren’t getting the correct command paramters entered, then it won’t work for legacy mode, and that’s why you need admin for it to work (but pup-packs won’t close).

I will try pasting my command again here as reference, but now pasting “may” actually work.

start /min "" "dmdext.exe" mirror --source=pinballfx3 --fx3-legacy -q -d virtual --virtual-hide-grip --virtual-position=3878 1524 1280 --pinup PINUP\[GAMENAME]

Hmmm…so pasting even in plain text does NOT display it correctly…but pasting as CODE does.

Also, keep an eye out today or tomorrow…I should have the new updated Aliens pup-pack uploaded by tomorrow.

Ken Lowe 
    Participant

Thanks Terry.

I love your pup packs, drooling like an alien in anticipation…lol

So I found the problem I was using DMDExt 1.7.0  not 1.7.1   once I got it updated things starting working.  I also found out what happened with FX3 settings if you make changes off line they don’t stick at restart.

It still won’t run the Aliens pup-pack from PBX, I’ll try again tomorrow…

I’m slowing getting Popper populated and I did get some of Tarcisio’s stuff loaded today     It looks amazing

Johngreve 
    Participant

Im a bit confused…I have ver1.7 running just fine but was going to update to 1.7.1 but I don’t see anything referencing 1.7.1 in the download. Is there a difference in 1.7 and 1.7.1 or are they the same?

Thanks

TerryRed 

Im a bit confused…I have ver1.7 running just fine but was going to update to 1.7.1 but I don’t see anything referencing 1.7.1 in the download. Is there a difference in 1.7 and 1.7.1 or are they the same?

Thanks

1.7.1 dmdext for FX3 by default uses a new memory grabbing method. This requires both the PinballFX3.EXE and the dmdext.EXE to be run as admin or it won’t work correctly after the first table has been launched. This is fine and it works nicely, but this causes PuP-Packs like my Aliens FX3 (and possibly FX3 SSF) to not be able to close out properly.

If you want to avoid this, then you need to add the

--fx3-legacy

parameter so that dmdext will use the previous DMD grabbing method without needing to run as admin.

smellar 
    Participant

I’ve been trying to implement 1.7 for a couple of weeks now, but I believe I’ve read every thread on every site and reinstalled a dozen times without any success :-(   So I’m hoping maybe somebody who’s already figured this out might please provide a pointer in the right direction!

I have a PIN2DMD in my cab running Win 10 Pro x64. The unit shows up correctly in Device Manager, and with Lucky1’s dmddevice.dll it has been working fine with SAM VPinMAME for regular DMDs and 4-colour variations in VPX. Unfortunately I was never able to get it working correctly for 16-colour DMDs (eg. the “acd_168hc” colour rom for AC/DC LE) where instead it displays in 4-colour mode even though it’s configured not to. With the release of freezy’s all-in-one 1.7 solution I was hoping this might fix things.

I began a fresh install to be used with PinUP Popper. Used the VPX4Setup pack to install all components as default, and selected dmdext for the DMD files (unsure which version that installs). After editing the dmddevice.ini file, was only ever able to get virtual DMD output through VPM but nothing on the hardware. Carried on installing packages in chronological order … Popper 1.3.4, latest VPX 5 beta, latest SAM VPM build, and freezy 1.7.1 (all x86 versions of everything) … hoping the issue would resolve, but still no success getting anything to appear on the DMD.  If I test a rom in VPM I can hear the rom is running from the chimes which some make when starting, but they’re not displaying on the PIN2DMD and no errors are triggered.

Thought I would try running “dmdext test” from the VPM folder and see what I got, but again only the virtual DMD is shown and the on-screen debug info reports “DEBUG | PIN2DMD device not found”.  Similarly when I run PinUP Popper nothing will display on the PIN2DMD in the menus.  However if I substitute the latest version of Lucky1’s dmddevice.dll into my VPM folder (and install it through setup.exe) then both PUP and WPM will output to the DMD just fine … except for those 16 colour roms.

Does any of this sound familiar to anybody? I know it’s probably difficult without having seen the install from go to woah, but if anyone has any suggestions at all then I’d greatly appreciate hearing them as I really don’t know what else to try! :scratch:

Oh, and thanks for reading all that ;-)

TerryRed 

I’ve been trying to implement 1.7 for a couple of weeks now, but I believe I’ve read every thread on every site and reinstalled a dozen times without any success :-( So I’m hoping maybe somebody who’s already figured this out might please provide a pointer in the right direction!

I have a PIN2DMD in my cab running Win 10 Pro x64. The unit shows up correctly in Device Manager, and with Lucky1’s dmddevice.dll it has been working fine with SAM VPinMAME for regular DMDs and 4-colour variations in VPX. Unfortunately I was never able to get it working correctly for 16-colour DMDs (eg. the “acd_168hc” colour rom for AC/DC LE) where instead it displays in 4-colour mode even though it’s configured not to. With the release of freezy’s all-in-one 1.7 solution I was hoping this might fix things.

I began a fresh install to be used with PinUP Popper. Used the VPX4Setup pack to install all components as default, and selected dmdext for the DMD files (unsure which version that installs). After editing the dmddevice.ini file, was only ever able to get virtual DMD output through VPM but nothing on the hardware. Carried on installing packages in chronological order … Popper 1.3.4, latest VPX 5 beta, latest SAM VPM build, and freezy 1.7.1 (all x86 versions of everything) … hoping the issue would resolve, but still no success getting anything to appear on the DMD. If I test a rom in VPM I can hear the rom is running from the chimes which some make when starting, but they’re not displaying on the PIN2DMD and no errors are triggered.

Thought I would try running “dmdext test” from the VPM folder and see what I got, but again only the virtual DMD is shown and the on-screen debug info reports “DEBUG | PIN2DMD device not found”. Similarly when I run PinUP Popper nothing will display on the PIN2DMD in the menus. However if I substitute the latest version of Lucky1’s dmddevice.dll into my VPM folder (and install it through setup.exe) then both PUP and WPM will output to the DMD just fine … except for those 16 colour roms.

Does any of this sound familiar to anybody? I know it’s probably difficult without having seen the install from go to woah, but if anyone has any suggestions at all then I’d greatly appreciate hearing them as I really don’t know what else to try! :scratch:

Oh, and thanks for reading all that ;-)

Did you read my notes and make all the adjustments needed?

Paste your dmddevice.ini file text here from your VPinMAME folder so I can see all of it.

When you run a table, press F1 to bring up PinMAME settings…do you have these settings?

pinmame

I’m not going into changing anything for colour yet, but you need to get it working with your DMD first.

Johngreve 
    Participant

Thanks

1.7.1 dmdext for FX3 by default uses a new memory grabbing method. This requires both the PinballFX3.EXE and the dmdext.EXE to be run as admin or it won’t work correctly after the first table has been launched. This is fine and it works nicely, but this causes PuP-Packs like my Aliens FX3 (and possibly FX3 SSF) to not be able to close out properly.

If you want to avoid this, then you need to add the

--fx3-legacy

parameter so that dmdext will use the previous DMD grabbing method without needing to run as admin.

Ahhh….I think I understand now…..1.7.1 is a FX3 thing? I’m only running VP so I should be good to go with 1.7 then. I will say life is better in the Freezy 1.7 world for me now. Much gratitude to you guys! Thanks for the reply TerryRed.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2FB Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account