FSS VP-MAME Rig WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    arconovum
    Participant
      @nicholaschristopher
      MemberContributor

Yeah finally I know, Its been a long time coming! was really worried this new re-sized rig was going to fail also.. but it just passed the component clashing tests/reworking. Did not show anything until I was sure the clashing and acoustics all worked properly.

The unit is running with a 32bit ARM fanless processor with linux loaded. A touch enabled host application launcher (the 3″ inch display) manages / launches VP. Everything is internal to the RIG nothing sits on the client PC. A USB and audio cable are the only connections to the PC. Even power is provided by two internal independent power supplies, no wall worts at all.

Anyway I still have a lot of work to do on this , but  I should have the pinball part up and running very shortly.

_FSS_RIG WIP 1beta

_FSS_RIG WIP 2beta

sorry for the crappy pics.. my phone is like 4 years old.. and takes really crappy photos now.. will have better photos next time.

arconovum
      Participant
        @nicholaschristopher
        MemberContributor

Go figure on the very day I post this I get a message from Canada Post they finally decided to deliver my true 3-way crossovers, it’s only been in their hands for 3 weeks, it took one week from Hong Kong to Canada, then 3..(shaking my head). Now of course I won’t hold my breath on the condition of said items.

On the subject of audio, the configuration and making a good enough enclosure, makes for great feedback when playing mame or pinball, can feel every roll, knock, bounce.. and pew.. pew.. pew…nice!

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

This will be a fun one to follow. Looks cool so far!

arconovum
          Participant
            @nicholaschristopher
            MemberContributor

Second before last update, again not great pics, all will be good by third post.

This second post shows the glide frame the FSS Rig sits upon. Works just like a dressed drawer, but with heavy duty left and right rails. The top of the wood platform is where the base of the monitor stand will fit into, and it will supply the counter-weight needed when the FSS Rig is extended.

pic 1: Glide Frame with both rails extended

_FSS_RIG WIP _143952

pic 2: Rails distended when rig is not in use.

_FSS_RIG WIP _144025

pic 3: The rig set on top of the glide rail, right side view.

_FSS_RIG WIP _144317

pic 4: Different view (front) of the same.

_FSS_RIG WIP _144336

arconovum
            Participant
              @nicholaschristopher
              MemberContributor

Well getting close to the end.. Wired up all the leds, buttons (all wire management), swapped the amplifier (the last one failed during the last burn in) , switched out two boost converters. Finished the gliding support frame, added the locking clamp hitches, and installed the insulating material.

Power demands have all been met, and everything works as expected.

Mame is almost all setup, and working. Still need to wire up the vpinball buttons to zebs plunger mechanism.

_FSS_RIG WIP _105158

EDIT: oh yeah the pics quality, my digital camera has completely failed!!! it turns on , but does not respond to any button button presses at all, can’t fix it..totally broken… lame…

bord
                @bord

Nice job with the wiring/layout. Not easy in such a tight space. Makes me want to go rewire my Pinscape right now.

arconovum
                Participant
                  @nicholaschristopher
                  MemberContributor

Nice job with the wiring/layout. Not easy in such a tight space. Makes me want to go rewire my Pinscape right now.

Yeah it went really well, considering I used every led port (32) on my ultimate IO board..    what really cleaned it up, was installing the IO card on the bottom of the trackball casing.. of course this requires opening it and modifying it.. but thats the cost.

I also had to repair a USB connector on one joystick (right bottom).. in other words removing the existing and replacing it with what I had, and more wires!

bord
                    @bord

What drives the LED lights on the MAME buttons? I always wanted to do a rig where only the useable buttons for a certain game lit up.

arconovum
                    Participant
                      @nicholaschristopher
                      MemberContributor

What drives the LED lights on the MAME buttons? I always wanted to do a rig where only the useable buttons for a certain game lit up.

Thats exactly what I will be doing, and my tiny touch display will also post an image(cheat sheet) of what the buttons will do.

Well that’s the nice thing about ultimarc ultimate IO (link below), they have a led SDK(link below), so you can always mod everything yourself. For end user no programming they have led blinky (link below)

but if you want to go real DIY you can always use an arduino to control leds.

https://www.ultimarc.com/ipacuio.html

http://www.ledblinky.net/ledblinky.htm

https://www.ultimarc.com/programming.html

outhere
                        @outhere
                        MemberContributorvipModerator

I 2nd that – Nice clean organized work of art

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        arconovum
                        Participant
                          @nicholaschristopher
                          MemberContributor

I 2nd that – Nice clean organized work of art

Wiring no probs.. I just ain’t no carpenter!

arconovum
                          Participant
                            @nicholaschristopher
                            MemberContributor

Final images (well almost) of my FSS Rig . Basically this RIG is a sort of homebrew of a viewlix arcade cab that can play VP, and a bigger screen than a viewlix.

And far less expensive.

Wanted to make videos but my camera is finished. May still pump out some videos with my GoPro, which in retrospect will probably be a lot better close-ups.

Cab running with Fire! loaded

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2722-1

Rear of Rig with cable connections between sound bar and base, and host PC,

pictured here resting on the gliding frame , with the monitor stand also sitting

on the frame acting as a counter weight.

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2725-2

Full view of interior.

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2727-3

Left of lower interior, power sources and distribution.

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2731-5a

Lower  center are audio amp, and below it 7 port usb hub,

at rear the 32bit arm microprocessor running the touch screen,

and below it the HDD.  To the left is the tube to displace air flow from the woofer.

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2730-5b

Lower right, More power management , and the woofer with some shielding to

reshape(small) the magnetic field . All audio in/out connections at the rear.

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2732-5c

Full upper view. The ultimate IO card is attached upside down to the

trackball. The trackballs X/Y positions are re-calculated by the ARM processor.

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2729-6

Upper Left  buttons  and joysticks.

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2734-6a

Upper Right, You can see joysticks, buttons, heavily modded Zebs plunger,

_FSS_RIG WIP IMG_2733-6b

1 user thanked author for this post.
                            bord
                              @bord

Man is that thing sweet. Congrats on getting it across the finish line.

Gotta pick your brain someday about MAME frontends and software. I’ve seen some of your bezel and environment stuff for arcades and it looks ridiculous in the best way.

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

Wow somebody has been busy! :)

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

I’m still hoping for a video presentation one day. if I remember correctly, you had plans to tuck it away if needed, but, maybe you had to abandon that idea ?

arconovum
                                  Participant
                                    @nicholaschristopher
                                    MemberContributor

I’m still hoping for a video presentation one day. if I remember correctly, you had plans to tuck it away if needed, but, maybe you had to abandon that idea ?

Actually it does stow away,  it’s all dependent on the amount of inclination you give the display, the more inclination the more you need to slide it back to its stored position, and conversely the same is true for play position.

EDIT: when closed it only takes up 2×2 feet of table space. And I can even rotate the whole rig around on that spot on the desk with the casters(not shown in final photos).

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

Really needs a video explaining everything. :good: But very happy to see you got it built!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                      for IOS and Android

arconovum
                                      Participant
                                        @nicholaschristopher
                                        MemberContributor

Man is that thing sweet. Congrats on getting it across the finish line.

Gotta pick your brain someday about MAME frontends and software. I’ve seen some of your bezel and environment stuff for arcades and it looks ridiculous in the best way.

Thanks for compliment, come pick away, let you know what I know.  3 more to do and release of these, and its been fun.

_Clipboard-1_thumb

_Clipboard-2_thumb

bord
                                          @bord

Incredible.

The Loafer
                                          Participant
                                            @theloafer

We were supposed to meet up eons ago good sir.  I would def like to see this in person at some point!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?