Funhouse (Williams 1990)

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 460 total)
  • Author
    wrd1972
    Participant
      @wrd1972
      MembervipContributor

Here is my FH Beta:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zs3c40irq00t9y/FH_WIP56.vpx?dl=0

NOTE: You MUST use VP10.6 BETA for the table to work.

NOTE:  Required ROM is now 906H.

Please let me know of any issues such as:

• Bugs
      • Missing sounds
      • Missing materials
      • Other issues

Looking to address all issue prior to a release, which has a few more bells and whistles than the beta. :)

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

7 users thanked author for this post.
      Skitso
      Participant
        @skitso

Nice upgrade wrd, Thanks! Everything seems to work flawlessly here. Can’t wait for the final version!

As for the improvements, there seems to be aliasing issues around the edges of insert lights that weren’t an issue with your older version.

insert issue

Problem seems to go away if I replace the playfield image with the old one that doesn’t have cut out holes where inserts are. Also (and this might just be a personal preference, mind you), I’d like the insert lights’ intensity value to be set to a much lower value so it wouldn’t drown away the texts.

One trick is using a darkened version of playfield texture on insert lights. It gives you a much more wider dynamic range, meaning no crushed colors on lights like below. My latest TOTAN mod is a good example of this.

blooming issue

Also, ball shadow is missing. Otherwise, amazing as usual! :good:

EDIT:

here’s a quick test I made:

example

Draifet
        Participant
          @draifet

@Skitso @wrd1972 the aliasing problem I think it’s caused by the PFTextBlack2xcf image over the inserts, not perfect, but I tried to soften a little the edges, try the attached file if u want.

Anyways with Quality FXAA and Forxed 4x SSAA enabled, on a 1080P monitor, I can’t see it so pronounced.

For now I only have a silly  issue to report, the script is missing the “= 1” on the line 163 ‘ Show Baloons = 1

And for my taste the ballon texture is too much clear, I did it a little more opaque version.

Super nice update, now I returned to the old one to play a few games, and I missed a lot all the new changes.

wrd1972
          Participant
            @wrd1972
            MembervipContributor

Okay I did some fixing on the jaggies around the clock. Also fixed the balloon issue. Definitely has some weird stuff going on with that image. The defects were clearly visible on the image in VP. But they did not show up in Gimp. I ended up just erasing where the defects appear, and it does loo better now. Also tweaked the balloons.

Anybody see anything else or have any other concerns?

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

Schreibi34
            Participant
              @schreibi34

Try to place the image in front of a black background. I saw leftovers from different colours in one of your earlier betas. Dunno if you already fixed that.

Skitso
              Participant
                @skitso

Just noticed the coin drop sound is missing. :)

wrd1972
                Participant
                  @wrd1972
                  MembervipContributor

Just added the coin sound and ball shadows.

Thanks. :)

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    ContributorMemberModerator

Consider adding “Target” too. It is in the table script but missed as a sample.

Should add – plays very well – lots of fun ! :rose:

wrd1972
                    Participant
                      @wrd1972
                      MembervipContributor

Its called fx_target. Its in there and appearing in the script. So I think I am good there. Not sure why coin disappeared though.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

Really ? Are we talking about FH_WIP56.vpx ?

1046:vpmTimer.PulseSw 32:pSW32.TransY = -4:Target32Step = 1:sw32.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg
                        1047:vpmTimer.PulseSw 37:pSW37.TransY = -4:Target37Step = 1:sw37.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg
                        1051:vpmTimer.PulseSw 34:pSW34.TransY = -4:Target34Step = 1:sw34.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg
                        1052:vpmTimer.PulseSw 37:pSW37.TransY = -4:Target37Step = 1:sw37.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg
                        1057:Sub sw17_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 17:pSW17.TransY = -3:Target17Step = 1:Me.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg:End Sub
                        1071:Sub sw31_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 31:pSW31.TransY = -3:Target31Step = 1:Me.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg:End Sub
                        1085:Sub sw32_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 32:pSW32.TransY = -3:Target32Step = 1:Me.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg:End Sub
                        1099:Sub sw34_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 34:pSW34.TransY = -3:Target34Step = 1:Me.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg:End Sub
                        1113:Sub sw37_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 37:pSW37.TransY = -3:Target37Step = 1:Me.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg:End Sub
                        1127:Sub sw54_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 54:pSW54.TransY = -3:Target54Step = 1:Me.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg:End Sub
                        1141:Sub sw64_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 64:pSW64.TransY = -3:Target64Step = 1:Me.TimerEnabled = 1:PlaySoundAtVol SoundFx("target",DOFTargets),misc, VolTarg:End Sub

Also a little strange to play that sound @ misc – ActiveBall would be nice to use. I find that fx_target and it seems you use a collection. That playsound has 8 parameters, not 9. I guess that is what you use and ignore the missing “target”. Which is fine I guess.

I also noticed something strange. But maybe I need to delete my nvram ?! DMD said to watch the hideout for ball eject two games in a row. Instead a ball was ejected to the plunger. Game ended when I still had one ball in play.

wrd1972
                        Participant
                          @wrd1972
                          MembervipContributor

I will look again. But the targets are in a collection and the collection is tied to fx_Target. I still need to clean that mess up a little it appears.

Yeah I saw the weird thing with the hideout once or twice too. It did not appear to be very common, and I would not really know where to start with that one. lets try deleting the NVRAM and see what happens.

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

Yeah – I didn’t notice at first that you’ve put them into a collection. The way it is now, it just constantly tried to play that sound without finding it. I’ve always wondered if that could have any performance impact at all. I guess it doesn’t because there is huge amount of table that has old references to sounds that isn’t there.

For the playsound that you use for the collections. Change those with a 9th param like Metals_Hit has.

rothbauerw
                              @rothbauerw
                              ModeratorContributorMembervip

I also had the game end with one ball in play. Something must not be right. I find it hard to believe that’s an nvram issue.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Thalamus
                                @thalamus

I started a few games with the other “home” rom and I had no issues. Coincidence ? Probably, but, can’t hurt to try.

Skitso
                                Participant
                                  @skitso

I had lot’s of troubles getting the table to work with a rom downloaded from VPU. On the other hand, the one I downloaded from the VPF seems to work without issues.

CarnyPriest
                                  Participant
                                    @carnypriest

Like MAME, roms can be stored and distributed as “split roms”. If you download a clone set then you also need to download the parent set (usually the final production code for on-route machines) to get full working game code. VPU has a mostly complete collection. If something is missing then post a report there.

lead_720_405

wrd1972
                                    Participant
                                      @wrd1972
                                      MembervipContributor

For the playsound that you use for the collections. Change those with a 9th param like Metals_Hit has.

Not sure I followed here. But I do recall that adding “misc” which points to a prim object, was a necessary evil. I dont recall what proceeded it, but it caused a table error, and the table would not start.

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus

if you look at metals_hit(idx) it has 9 parameters. The last one being AudioFade(ActiveBall).

metals1_hit has only one parameter, just the sound – nothing more. That sound will be played for almost all SSF users around their flippers. Far from what you intended.

Spottargets_hit sub is mentioned twice. I believe that the last one would be the active one in this case. gates_hit also is missing the 9th parameter.

You should decide what sound you want for spottargets_hit.  “fx_target” or “fx_rubber_hit_2” and delete the line you don’t want. You should also add “, AudioFade(ActiveBall)” to the one you decide to use and as I said , for gates_hit collection. I’m in a hotel room right now. Can’t look at the table, but, to make the metals1 collection to be ssf aware. Add 7 parameters – or you could probably get away with just

playsoundat “fx_metalhit2”, ActiveBall

I’ve been trying to tell you guys, it is actually somewhat easier to implement SSF than using the old syntax. Look at the “playsoundat” sub and you see that it has probably the values you keep adding again and again. You can almost always get away with it by just adding “ActiveBall” for it to become SSF friendly.

I don’t know why you changed those single references into collection. Nothing wrong with it though, as long as it isn’t a object that the ball can go trough/pass. Good example is spinners. If you have two or more spinners in a table and they all are in a collection you can’t do a proper SSF. Spinner stays put and the ball moves on. If you use ActiveBall, the spinner – spinning will follow the ball. That would sound really odd. And of course. Those spinners are not located in the same position either. Spinners are the only object from the top of my head where you can’t put them into collections for SSF. Not important for this table though.

wrd1972
                                        Participant
                                          @wrd1972
                                          MembervipContributor

“metals1_hit has only one parameter, just the sound – nothing more. That sound will be played for almost all SSF users around their flippers. Far from what you intended.”

“Spottargets_hit sub is mentioned twice. I believe that the last one would be the active one in this case. gates_hit also is missing the 9th parameter.”

Actually my intent is fulfilled. :) With respect, the SSF features are not high on my priority list because and dont personally use them at all. Plus I dont understand the basics of adding them to the table. Now with that said, I certainly want someone to add the SSF functionality to the table, so that the many others who do leverage the feature, can do so to its fullest abilities on my table.

“You should decide what sound you want for spottargets_hit. “fx_target” or “fx_rubber_hit_2” and delete the line you don’t want. You should also add “, AudioFade(ActiveBall)” to the one you decide to use and as I said , for gates_hit collection. I’m in a hotel room right now. Can’t look at the table, but, to make the metals1 collection to be ssf aware. Add 7 parameters – or you could probably get away with just

playsoundat “fx_metalhit2”, ActiveBall”

The dual sounds are still work in progress. I am trying to better reproduce the sound I am hearing on my real FH, when the ball hits the target. I am hearing more of a thump in addition to the target sound rebound itself. Hence the reason for two sounds. So when I settle on the complete sound I want, I will create a single sound to do the job.

“I’ve been trying to tell you guys, it is actually somewhat easier to implement SSF than using the old syntax. Look at the “playsoundat” sub and you see that it has probably the values you keep adding again and again. You can almost always get away with it by just adding “ActiveBall” for it to become SSF friendly.”

I would be more than happy to do this, when I am done with FH. Right now I am focused on completing the table to the best of my abilities, and to let the others add the additional features they they would like that I am currently not able to add.

“I don’t know why you changed those single references into collection. Nothing wrong with it though, as long as it isn’t a object that the ball can go trough/pass. “

Not following here. :) But sounds like an easy fix if there is indeed an issue.

So ultimately, I am looking to finish the table to the best of my abilities. Then if you, are even another wants to go in and tweak the sound functions to support SSF. That would be perfectly fine with me. As I have said many times, my skills are more limited than some of the better and more talented authors in this community. And I just need to draw the line with what I decide I am capable of doing, rather than than deal with the frustrations from lack of knowledge and experience, that would certainly lead me to stop producing anything going forth. This is where the collaboration comes in, that I continuously celebrate every chance I get, when I release a table. :)

So do you want to do a top-down SSF optimization, when I decide to call it done? Which will hopefully be by this weekend?

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus

From the looks of it – it is god damn close. As I said, it only probably needs the comma and AudioFade(ActiveBall) for three (idx) subs to be optimized from the script side.

We both know that a table almost never gets completely finished. I’m sure there are sound samples that would fit this table very nicely. Trapdoors going up/down, balls hitting the metal scoop, dropping balls. Difference in sound from rolling on plastic and metal etc. Preferable recorded from the real machine.

That is not something that just takes some minutes to implement though You should not be afraid to release as is, it is perfectly legal to make a update to it sometime into unknown future don’t you think ?

This is more me answering you your question. Is there something lacking and yes. Actually there is – but, most people will not notice it that much.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 460 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?