Future Pinball and BAM Mega-Guide by TerryRed (DOF, PUP, SSF, VR and Front-Ends)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Dashdriver230
    Participant
      @dashdriver230

Terry, your new posting caught my eye and encouraged me to re-visit Future Pinball – and I am blown away by the results!

It was the VR aspect which particularly interested me and having worked through all of the setup process, the icing on the cake was the ability to use the OpenComposite dll which allowed me to operate my Rift without steam VR so that I experience seamless transition between Popper in the Oculus Desktop and the FP table and back again.

Suddenly tables appear in all of their 3D glory and really show off the effort that go into their creation – it’s truly fascinating to see the ramp and gradient structures compared to the flat representation on the 2D monitor.

Many thanks to all involved in the various elements of this simulation.

Now I am ordering the bits for the pseudo cabinet controller!

Gimli
      Participant
        @gimli

Hi Terry !

Thanks for this mega guide !

I will have to test this…but I have never needed both Arcade mode and Force Arcade mode enabled at the same time (I didn’t even know it possible).

You stated this “Use Second Monitor Backbox”  and “Arcade Mode” must either be both enabled, or they both must be disabled
        if only one or the other enabled, then table functions like videos, some timers and other features won’t function correctly”

I have found glitches occur only UNTIL I enable “force arcade mode” in BAM.

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

Hi Terry !

Thanks for this mega guide !

I will have to test this…but I have never needed both Arcade mode and Force Arcade mode enabled at the same time (I didn’t even know it possible).

You stated this “Use Second Monitor Backbox” and “Arcade Mode” must either be both enabled, or they both must be disabled

if only one or the other enabled, then table functions like videos, some timers and other features won’t function correctly”

I have found glitches occur only UNTIL I enable “force arcade mode” in BAM.

This statement is more directed to Cabinet / multiscreen setups. If you disable the FP backbox and Arcade Mode (ideally for PinEvent on a cabinet and VR)… then the “cabinet / Static CAM” view will not be useable unless you enable Force Arcade Mode. Also… for VR, you need Force Arcade Mode enabled as well for VR to work as well.

Also, for PinEvent, the autodetect feature will need to know you are either using “Arcade mode” or “Force Arcade Mode” if its to use the correct Profile settings meant for cabinet modes. If you have the FP Backbox disabled (recommended for VR and PinEvent), but you want to display the PinEvent PuP BG and PUPDMD (for VR or cabinet setups)… then you would also want Force Arcade mode.

I’ve never had any problems or glitches with Force Arcade Mode enabled in multiscreen / vr setups myself. But its very important to have both Arcade mode and FP BG enabled or disabled together…. that is a must!

I’ll get around to doing a PinEvent install video (the pup install is the part that would help you guys the most)…. but the new plug-ins have me distracted a bit. :)

Also, congrats on SLAM noticing your BB-8 mod! Myself, for PinEvent mods, its really important that I stick more to SLAM’s updates as when he does his next update to a table (which happens often) I need to re-integrate my work all over gain…and for PinEvent / PUP / SSF / DOF… that’s a lot of work.

SW DSA was my next planned PinEvent mod…. so this was good timing from him… as I wanted to try to integrate some of your mods into the PinEvent table mod…and maybe if SLAM will be doing some of that anyway, that will make things much easier. For the DOFLinx mods of SW DSA way back I had to redo that 4 times because he kept updating it so much. Jaws U-Pro…. yah that was alot of updates :)

TerryRed
            @terryred

Terry, your new posting caught my eye and encouraged me to re-visit Future Pinball – and I am blown away by the results!

It was the VR aspect which particularly interested me and having worked through all of the setup process, the icing on the cake was the ability to use the OpenComposite dll which allowed me to operate my Rift without steam VR so that I experience seamless transition between Popper in the Oculus Desktop and the FP table and back again.

Suddenly tables appear in all of their 3D glory and really show off the effort that go into their creation – it’s truly fascinating to see the ramp and gradient structures compared to the flat representation on the 2D monitor.

Many thanks to all involved in the various elements of this simulation.

Now I am ordering the bits for the pseudo cabinet controller!

This I love to hear. I am so happy to hear that using that works for you.

For most non Oculus headsets, using just normal SteamVR seems to work fine, and when they try using OpenComposite, it gets mixed results.

For Oculus headsets, I think that both Oculus and Steam running together cause some odd problems…. though I think there are probably some odd bits from FP or BAM that may be mixing thing up as well for Oculus users.

Once FP BAM OpenVR is running “correctly” though…. wow does it look so good… and with this new PuP plug-in (still wip)… I’m glad to know that my PinEvent mods can be enjoyed in all setups one way or another! I can’t wait to dedicate some time to do some fun VR stuff.

Dashdriver230
            Participant
              @dashdriver230

My Oculus Rift CV1 and Steam did work fine, but by using the modified openvr_api.dll, the system returns straight to Popper at end of game rather than being dumped into the Steam screen which then would require intervention with the Touch controller to get back to Popper.

I did only have two self inflicted slip-ups during the installation process and I mention them so that others can watch out…

1. I installed your default.cfg file into the BAM-OpenVR /cfg folder rather than directly into BAM-Open VR folder. So initially I had a strange POV on my cabinet which was transformed for the better when I realised my mistake.
              2.  I forgot to make the FPLoader.exe run as administrator. This produced an odd effect whereby the first two tables I tried loaded to VR without any problems. Then I tried another couple and they threw the system and even the initially successful tables wouldn’t run in VR. After much trial and error, I spotted my mistake and magically all was well.

Could these two requirements be included in the initial downloads or can Admin rights only be set locally?

Now its time to get back into that gloomy basement in Elm Street!

TerryRed
                @terryred

My Oculus Rift CV1 and Steam did work fine, but by using the modified openvr_api.dll, the system returns straight to Popper at end of game rather than being dumped into the Steam screen which then would require intervention with the Touch controller to get back to Popper.

I did only have two self inflicted slip-ups during the installation process and I mention them so that others can watch out…

1. I installed your default.cfg file into the BAM-OpenVR /cfg folder rather than directly into BAM-Open VR folder. So initially I had a strange POV on my cabinet which was transformed for the better when I realised my mistake.
                2. I forgot to make the FPLoader.exe run as administrator. This produced an odd effect whereby the first two tables I tried loaded to VR without any problems. Then I tried another couple and they threw the system and even the initially successful tables wouldn’t run in VR. After much trial and error, I spotted my mistake and magically all was well.

Could these two requirements be included in the initial downloads or can Admin rights only be set locally?

Now its time to get back into that gloomy basement in Elm Street!

The default.cfg for a good POV won’t really help much in VR as everyone’s setup there is different. Same thing goes for headtracking. I can’t really provide something ideal for those setups that works for everyone.

Setting something to run as Administrator can only be done locally. That said… it always recommended to not do that unless needed. Again, this will vary person to person… and sometimes running as Administrator can also cause problems for certain setups.

TerryRed
                  @terryred

OK… so I added another BIG update for the guide. This will be VERY helpful for new installs of FP and BAM, but also for current installs!

• I added Step by Step instructions making it easy to start from the beginning and follow through the guide in order
                  • I added complete BAM default cfg and settings files for both desktop and cabinet! No need to setup anything in BAM! Just copy my files over and you are all set for BAM default settings for Lighting, Post Processing, POV, Hiding HUD elements for cabinet view, etc
                  • I added a small collection of table specific bam cfg files perfectly set for POV, lighting, etc (mostly Ultimate Pro and PinEvent for now)
                  • added a reg file to change “most” of FP’s settings in the registry automatically to what they should be
                  • updated Video Settings section to cover complete settings for both Desktop and Cabinet settings

Here’s some of the stuff I added.

Don’t skip a step (read everything up until the next step) and use the guide recommendations!

• STEP 1: Windows settings, Screen Positioning and Text Scaling
                  • STEP 2: Download and install Future Pinball and BAM using the “Future Pinball and BAM 2 in 1 installer”
                  • STEP 3: Install TerryRed’s “BAM – Default.cfg and Settings Files” for either Desktop or Cabinet (with ideal BAM’s settings and a nice default POV for cabinet users)
                  • STEP 4: Install TerryRed’s “BAM – Table CFG – POV Files” (these are setup for ideal lighting and a nice POV specific to the table for cabinet users)
                  • STEP 5: Install TerryRed’s default Future Pinball settings to the Registry
                  • STEP 6: How to Run Future Pinball
                  • STEP 7: Editor Settings
                  • STEP 8: Video/Rendering Settings
                  • STEP 9: Controls Settings
                  • STEP 10: Download and Install some Tables. Start with SLAMT1LT’s Ultimate Pro tables at first. (Rename TerryRed BAM cfg files to match table filenames)
                  • STEP 11: Play the table
                  • STEP 12: Use BAM menu to make any preferred adjustments or changes (such as table POV or angle, Backbox size, ball render, shadows, etc)
                  • STEP 13: Enjoy

Install TerryRed’s “BAM – Default.cfg and Settings Files”

BAM has completely changed Future Pinball. It has so many features, it can be a bit overwhelming for someone who is new to it. Having the right settings for cabinet or desktop specific setups can make all the difference in how good a FP table can look and play. I have made that process MUCH easier for you by creating BAM default.cfg and settings files that are ready to go for both desktop and cabinet setups!

All you need to do is copy these files from the zip of your choice (Desktop or Cabinet) to your “FuturePinball\BAM” folder:

• bam.cfg
                  • default.cfg
                  • Reality.dat

BAM - TerryRed Files

(download files are in the guide)

Now BAM is all ready to go with all the essential settings setup correctly!

Some of the changes I made to the default BAM settings are:

• enable Advanced Menu (please don’t ever use the Basic Menu!)
                  • disabled the FP logo watermark
                  • Lighting and Post Processing (set ideally for newer Ultimate Pro and PinEvent tables)
                  • shadows for flippers and ball
                  • ball rendering (shiny ball)
                  • frame limiter set to off
                  • disabled Kick and Trails

Specific settings for desktop are:

• disabled FORCE ARCADE MODE
                  • enabled HUD Overlays (DMD, videos,etc) only intended for desktop view

Specific settings for cabinets are:

• enabled FORCE ARCADE MODE
                  • enabled Static Cam and setup a nice default POV for the cabinet’s playfield and set the Backbox to Auto-Stretch
                  • disabled HUD Overlays (DMD, videos,etc) only intended for desktop view

NOTE: I made the cabinet files for Static Cam. I have not been able to test them on the various head tracking modes for a correct POV. Anyone using those may need to make their own adjustments.

Install TerryRed’s “BAM – Table CFG – POV Files”

Even though we now have great default BAM settings that will work well for most tables… not all tables are made the same. Each table may need fine adjustments to their lighting, post processing, and POV to match perfectly. These settings are not saved as part of the table file.

• BAM saves all it’s table specific settings to a cfg file (named the same as the table file) in the “FuturePinball\BAM\cfg” folder
                  • I have a nice collection of BAM Table CFG files that are already preset and ready to go for you! (mostly Ultimate Pro and PinEvent tables for now)
                  • most of these files were setup for a POV with the apron cut off to best fit the table without squishing or stretching it
                  • all you need to do is copy them to your “BAM\cfg” folder and rename them to match your table’s filename!

BAM cfg files - TerryRed

(download file is in the guide)

Table example using the Default.cfg (doesn’t fit quite right for this specific table)

BAM BAD CFG

Table using matching TerryRed Table specific cfg file (everything fits correctly)

BAM GOOD CFG

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Gin
                  Cordsl
                  Participant
                    @cordsl

Thanks for the new tutorial Terry. I had problems with FP, crashing all the time while loading a table, and decided to do a complete new install following your “existential” video’s. Unfortunately that didn’t solve it.

But now with this new guide i have it up and running again! Thanks again!

TerryRed
                      @terryred

NEW!

Future Pinball and BAM Installed on DESKTOP: Simple… FAST… then PLAY

• I made this new UP TO DATE video guide that is made specifically for a single screen Desktop setup!
                      • I wanted to do this to show how EASY it is to get setup quickly and be able to play these awesome “new” Future Pinball tables!
                      • I use my FP and BAM Mega Guide as the only source, just like you guys would, to completely install FP and BAM and be ready to go in minutes!
                      • this video does not cover cabinet specific settings or options. I want to do a more Cabinet specific video for that.
                      The first 15 minutes is:
                      • the entire install and setup
                      • Its actually much quicker if I didn’t explain anything
                      • you don’t need to worry about BAM setup as my install files will get you properly setup with BAM and other settings
                      • downloading and installing tables
                      • it’s really easy guys!
                      • it does not cover more advanced features like my PinEvent tables
                      The rest of the video is:
                      • explaining the many cool BAM features you can play around with on all tables
                      • explaining BAM cfg files
                      • how to disable bam settings in table script (if used)
                      • some of the basics like camera views
                      • show examples for controls, Special 1 for Action/Fire
                      • xml files for old tables using LOTR as an example
                      • gameplay demos of the latest Star Wars DSA U-Pro, Iron Man U-Pro, and Indiana Jones U-Pro

Everything is bookmarked in the Youtube video description for quick and easy access!

TerryRed
                        @terryred

FUTURE PINBALL and BAM Installed on CABINET

…simple …FAST … then PLAY!

• I made this new UP TO DATE video guide that is made specifically for a multi screen CABINET setup!
                        • I wanted to do this to show how EASY it is to get setup quickly and be able to play these awesome “new” Future Pinball tables!
                        • I use my new FP and BAM Mega Guide as the only source just like you guys would to completely install FP and BAM and be ready to go in minutes!
                        • This video does not cover desktop specific settings. I have another video for that

Don’t let the video size scare you!

The first 25 minutes is:

• the entire install and setup
                        • its actually much quicker if I didn’t explain anything
                        • you don’t need to worry about BAM setup as my install files will get you properly setup with BAM and other settings
                        • downloading and installing tables
                        • it’s really easy guys!

The rest of the video is:

• explaining the many cool BAM features you can play around with on all tables
                        • explaining BAM cfg files
                        • show how to adjust POV, size, angle position,etc
                        • show how to adjust lighting and post processing
                        • how to disable bam settings in table script (if used)
                        • show examples for controls, Special 1 for Action/Fire
                        • xml files for old tables using LOTR as an example
                        • gameplay demos of the latest Star Wars DSA U-Pro, Iron Man U-Pro, and Indiana Jones U-Pro

NOTE: I don’t cover other cabinet specific topics in detail such as FutureDMD, Real DMD, DOF, PuP, or PinEvent. Those are covered more in my Mega Guide

crashb4
                        Participant
                          @crashb4

Terry,

I hate to be “that guy” who is clueless, but i have myself utterly and thoroughly confused trying to setup my Pin2DMD to work for FP launched from Popper. Pinup DMD, Future DMD, Freezy’s dll, FP-Intercept. Can you please straiten out my dumb ass? What is the best way to set up a real DMD?

TerryRed
                            @terryred

Terry,

I hate to be “that guy” who is clueless, but i have myself utterly and thoroughly confused trying to setup my Pin2DMD to work for FP launched from Popper. Pinup DMD, Future DMD, Freezy’s dll, FP-Intercept. Can you please straiten out my dumb ass? What is the best way to set up a real DMD?

While I have never used a real DMD myself, I know you have a couple of options for “normal” FP tables

• install FP Intercept – this will mirror FP’s 128×32 DMD to a real DMD. I honestly don’t know if it works with ALL real DMD’s but I know guys who use it with Pin2DMD

or

• use FutureDMD to mirror FP’s 128×32 DMD to a virtual DMD window. Then you would use pupdmdcontrol (which works through dmddevice.dll / ini) to mirror the FutureDMD window to a real dmd.

More info on using pupdmdcontrol methos is foud here:

http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=emulator_future_pinball

For PinEvent tables, they would NOT use FutureDMD or FPIntercept methods, they would “work” with a real DMD as long as you have popper and pupdmdcontrol installed.

crashb4
                            Participant
                              @crashb4

You da’ man. Thank you.

yakuzaronin
                              Participant
                                @yakuzaronin

Is it possible to set the playfield (1080×1920) and the backglass (1920×1080) to be different in future pinball bam?  i think the simple answer is “no” and to keep them the same but thought i’d check before tinkering with other options.

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

Is it possible to set the playfield (1080×1920) and the backglass (1920×1080) to be different in future pinball bam? i think the simple answer is “no” and to keep them the same but thought i’d check before tinkering with other options.

If you are running Windows in Portrait mode, yes.

After setting Windows to Portrait, open FP…when you click on Fullscreen in FP’s Video/Rendering setting it “should” give you the resolution you want. If not, then close FP and goto the Registry and manually make the changes there.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer

Ashram56
                                  Participant
                                    @ashram56

The master of all FP guides, saved me a lot of headache setting up FP on my new pincab.

I do have one issue which I can’t resolve though: my new setup is a 3 screen combo, but for the life of me I can’t get the backglass to show on the proper monitor. Whatever I select (DISPLAY2 or DISPLAY3), FP backglass always show on screen 2/, which in my case is the small LCD for Topper/DMD.

This does not affect PinEvent tables, since it takes over FP backglass, but it does affect non PuP tables (SW DSA for ex), and to some extent (although I did not fully test it) non PinEvent PuP tables (Tron in this instance, where FP backglass conflicts with the PuP pack)

Any pointer would be welcome

Regards

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

The master of all FP guides, saved me a lot of headache setting up FP on my new pincab.

I do have one issue which I can’t resolve though: my new setup is a 3 screen combo, but for the life of me I can’t get the backglass to show on the proper monitor. Whatever I select (DISPLAY2 or DISPLAY3), FP backglass always show on screen 2/, which in my case is the small LCD for Topper/DMD.

This does not affect PinEvent tables, since it takes over FP backglass, but it does affect non PuP tables (SW DSA for ex), and to some extent (although I did not fully test it) non PinEvent PuP tables (Tron in this instance, where FP backglass conflicts with the PuP pack)

Any pointer would be welcome

Regards

Be sure you are using the BG monitor on the same GPU as the PF monitor.  Mixing it up with onboard gpu may not work for FP.

Try running the FP BG in Windowed to see where it shows up then.

Also, you can specify settings in the registry manually for DISPLAY and resolution,etc…

mikencnet
                                      Participant
                                        @mikencnet

Hi Terry great guide.  I followed your guide and everything works.  All tables your cfgs.  It’s great.  One thing I can’t figure out and I did some trial and error to pinpoint the cause.  Before I copy over your 3 cfg/setting cabinet files to replace the ones in the BAM folder.  I am able to see the BAM settings pressing ~ or Q.  Bam.cfg and default.cfg are fine but once I overwrite Reality.dat.  I lose visibility of the Bam settings.  I want to manually adjust the size of the Backglass blindly can’t find it anymore.  Any suggestions or work arounds.  Or if I don’t overwrite Reality.dat which allows me to see the settings, what are the settings I need to change which basically mimics the override.  Thank you so much!  See attached

Mike

IMG_5884 copy

TerryRed
                                          @terryred

Hi Terry great guide. I followed your guide and everything works. All tables your cfgs. It’s great. One thing I can’t figure out and I did some trial and error to pinpoint the cause. Before I copy over your 3 cfg/setting cabinet files to replace the ones in the BAM folder. I am able to see the BAM settings pressing ~ or Q. Bam.cfg and default.cfg are fine but once I overwrite Reality.dat. I lose visibility of the Bam settings. I want to manually adjust the size of the Backglass blindly can’t find it anymore. Any suggestions or work arounds. Or if I don’t overwrite Reality.dat which allows me to see the settings, what are the settings I need to change which basically mimics the override. Thank you so much! See attached

Mike

IMG_5884 copy

Someone else who had this solved it by updating their Visual C++ and their Video card drivers, and making sure their FP BG monitor was connected to their Video Card and not with an onboard motherboard GPU.

That said… you could not copy Reality.dat and just watch my setup video (when I explain BAM settings) … and make sure everything matches when I go through and explain the different menus.

The Table and Lighting (which gets info from the Default.cfg) should be fine as is though if you copied over my default.cfg. You can always copy th at anytime if needed afterward.

Ashram56
                                          Participant
                                            @ashram56

Be sure you are using the BG monitor on the same GPU as the PF monitor. Mixing it up with onboard gpu may not work for FP.

Try running the FP BG in Windowed to see where it shows up then.

Also, you can specify settings in the registry manually for DISPLAY and resolution,etc…

Single GPU driving all three displays

I tested everything recommended, no luck

What I did eventually to resolve it is to swap BG and DMD on my display arrangement (I had from left to right PF-DMD-BG, as this was the numbering of the screens by Windows). Turns out FP always use the display just right to the PF for the BG (at least on my setup), this was the only case where I was affected by this. I modified accordingly all screens positions PuP, B2S Server and DMDExt, so now it’s working.

Regards

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 186 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?