Future Pinball and BAM Mega-Guide by TerryRed (DOF, PUP, SSF, VR and Front-Ends)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

Be sure you are using the BG monitor on the same GPU as the PF monitor. Mixing it up with onboard gpu may not work for FP.

Try running the FP BG in Windowed to see where it shows up then.

Also, you can specify settings in the registry manually for DISPLAY and resolution,etc…

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer

Single GPU driving all three displays

I tested everything recommended, no luck

What I did eventually to resolve it is to swap BG and DMD on my display arrangement (I had from left to right PF-DMD-BG, as this was the numbering of the screens by Windows). Turns out FP always use the display just right to the PF for the BG (at least on my setup), this was the only case where I was affected by this. I modified accordingly all screens positions PuP, B2S Server and DMDExt, so now it’s working.

Regards

Yes… that’s why I include that picture in the guide from the pup wiki (that Windows Display pic) on how the displays should be arranged. It actually does matter. :)

Ashram56
      Participant
        @ashram56

Given that all other applications were working fine, I was hoping it would as well for FP (I like my screen arrangements to be logical :-))

A few additionnal points for everyone benefit that you might want to include in your guide:

• I had to run DOFLinx in admin for PinUp Popper to correctly start FP with DOF. I would otherwise get “Access Denied” errors when launching either PinEvent or regular DOF FP tables, errors which I did not get when launching directly from the desktop. Popper is run in Admin, as per instructions. Not sure if this is linked to my setup.
        • I’m still running into BG config problems, ie now that my FP backglass is on the correct screen, it actually take over PuP on at least Jaws PinEvent table (so I don’t get the PuP backglass). I read through the installation procedure for Jaws and realized there is a pointer to another guide for “PuP-Packs on Top” (from, guess who, Terry…), which is not directly linked from the main guide (unless I missed it, which I could have). No big deal, a Google search did the trick, but you might want to add this in the PuP section (sidenote: doesn’t BAM allow to disable the backglass, and could it do so through a command line parameter ?)

Next step, trying VR with my Oculus Quest running Oculus Link

LynnInDenver
        Participant
          @lynnindenver

Running Popper in Admin is an old instruction. You shouldn’t need to run it as Admin now.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
          Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
          Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

TerryRed
            @terryred

Given that all other applications were working fine, I was hoping it would as well for FP (I like my screen arrangements to be logical :-))

A few additionnal points for everyone benefit that you might want to include in your guide:

• I had to run DOFLinx in admin for PinUp Popper to correctly start FP with DOF. I would otherwise get “Access Denied” errors when launching either PinEvent or regular DOF FP tables, errors which I did not get when launching directly from the desktop. Popper is run in Admin, as per instructions. Not sure if this is linked to my setup.
            • I’m still running into BG config problems, ie now that my FP backglass is on the correct screen, it actually take over PuP on at least Jaws PinEvent table (so I don’t get the PuP backglass). I read through the installation procedure for Jaws and realized there is a pointer to another guide for “PuP-Packs on Top” (from, guess who, Terry…), which is not directly linked from the main guide (unless I missed it, which I could have). No big deal, a Google search did the trick, but you might want to add this in the PuP section (sidenote: doesn’t BAM allow to disable the backglass, and could it do so through a command line parameter ?)

Next step, trying VR with my Oculus Quest running Oculus Link

Admin issues are specific to each person’s setup and security settings. This is why I mentioned in the guide that running FPLoader.exe as Admin may be needed for some…and it shouldn’t be for others. Same goes for front-ends. There isn’t a single “one setting for admin combo” that work for everyone. For DOFLinx…same thing. Some need it as Admin, others don’t. I’ve had it where I didn’t need anything in my system set to Run as Admin.

For Jaws U-Pro PinEvent and Backglass problems… there are solutions in the Jaws Install Instructions and more so in the PinEvent install Instructions. Not just PuP-Packs on Top… but also the better solution of disabling the FP Backglass and Arcade Mode for PinEvent tables only (so nothing blocks the pup-pack…similar to a directb2s blocking it in VPX). There are a couple of options I show with the registry commands needed to do that already in the PinEvent Install Guide.

In this FP and BAM Mega Guide… the FAQ tells you to goto the Pinevent guide for problems with PinEvent tables. I don’t keep PinEvent related info and problems here as that is a very big topic that also includes PuP setup and problems related with that.

yakuzaronin
            Participant
              @yakuzaronin
              This reply has been marked as private.
              yakuzaronin
              Participant
                @yakuzaronin

hmm..that picture got cutoff…resending the part about my monitor layout

Attachments:
                TerryRed
                  @terryred

Is it possible to set the playfield (1080×1920) and the backglass (1920×1080) to be different in future pinball bam? i think the simple answer is “no” and to keep them the same but thought i’d check before tinkering with other options.

If you are running Windows in Portrait mode, yes.

After setting Windows to Portrait, open FP…when you click on Fullscreen in FP’s Video/Rendering setting it “should” give you the resolution you want. If not, then close FP and goto the Registry and manually make the changes there.

Feels like the backglass orientation is locked in to whatever the primary display is set. So both PF and BG need to be portrait, or both need to be landscape. I’m thinking trying to mix them up is more hassle than its worth haha. (this is my work desktop so only play pinball on it part time) I’ll probably redo everything in landscape and not try and be such a rebel. Thank you very much for all your help and looking forward to next video!!

First… make sure your BG monitor is level with the top of your playfield monitor… like I show in the Guide.

2nd…. did you try to manually set to resolution for the Second Monitor Backbox in the registry?

Run Regedit then close FP and set your Backglass Width and Height manually here:

That will force FP to use whatever resolution you set there instead of what you see in Video / Rendering Settings

yakuzaronin
                  Participant
                    @yakuzaronin

Hi Terry,

In short, moving the fields fixed it and with your help my blindness sees height/width = PF but then i never saw the ‘second monitor’ values in the registry.  I thought moving the 2nd and 3rd monitor like that would ensure i wasnt in the negative position.  So this time actually following your instructions correctly, the playfield runs exactly how I had hoped.  Thank you very much.

It’s pretty amazing how you can help so many people with such a wide range of hardware and backgrounds (myself being pretty newbie).

Thank you so much. I’ve not seen a patreon link or anything but if there is one I’d be very interested in supporting.

Time to go play some pinball!

Best wishes,

Joe

yakuzaronin
                    Participant
                      @yakuzaronin

ugh now i feel worse…you specifically go through second monitor at 22min 13sec…..sorry to waste your time.  appreciate your patience and help.

Ashram56
                      Participant
                        @ashram56

Admin issues are specific to each person’s setup and security settings. This is why I mentioned in the guide that running FPLoader.exe as Admin may be needed for some…and it shouldn’t be for others. Same goes for front-ends. There isn’t a single “one setting for admin combo” that work for everyone. For DOFLinx…same thing. Some need it as Admin, others don’t. I’ve had it where I didn’t need anything in my system set to Run as Admin.

On the admin issue, I see in your PinEvent guide (related to DOFLinx Msg Hold) that some had a .NET issue, while others did not. Turns out that I had encountered this error, and I have not seen it after running DOFlinx in admin

[EDIT] Oddly enough, turns out that the .NET error came back, even with DOFLinx in admin. Oh well… let’s wait for DDH69 to unravel this bug.

With regards to the PinEvent guide, indeed the new content with regards to disabling FP Backglass is quite valuable. Nicely enough, the process does also apply for any PuP enabled FP table (Tron comes to mind), not just PinEvent, which is pretty cool.

I’ll finally get there…

Szehang
                        Participant
                          @szehang

Thank you for this amazing guide

-RpT
                          Participant
                            @rpt

Thanks for the guide, awesome work as always!

I’m assuming there is no workaround if your DMD and backglass screen are the opposite way round… unfortunately my cab is set up this way.

Capture

Tried to get it going via the registry… annoyingly the loading screens are in the correct position but as soon as the table loads, the backglass shifts to the 2nd screen (1080p) whilst retaining the 2k resolution of the backglass.

TerryRed
                              @terryred

Thanks for the guide, awesome work as always!

I’m assuming there is no workaround if your DMD and backglass screen are the opposite way round… unfortunately my cab is set up this way.

Capture

Tried to get it going via the registry… annoyingly the loading screens are in the correct position but as soon as the table loads, the backglass shifts to the 2nd screen (1080p) whilst retaining the 2k resolution of the backglass.

I’ve always had my BG next to the PF for 4+ years. It was the first thing I learned that was a must way back then and haven’t tried changing since.

Not sure if you can get around that.

Ashram56
                              Participant
                                @ashram56

Looks like the exact same issue I had. You can simply drag and drop the DMD so that the order is 1-3-2 (ie backglass just right of PF). That’s what I did, and it works.

I did have to adjust all of my settings accordingly for the other programs (VPX, PBFX3), but that’s a one time configuration (you have to configure B2S, PuP screens, PBFX3 DMD position, Future DMD position, and that should be it).

LynnInDenver
                                Participant
                                  @lynnindenver

About the only variance I’ve seen (and that I’ve actually done) is putting the DMD under the Backglass in the arrangement of the monitor space. Otherwise, the backglass is firmly to the right of the playfield, and the tops are aligned. Everything that needs to put stuff on the DMD monitor (technically PostDMD, it’s a full 16:9 display), is either external software (FutureDMD, FlexDMD, PinUp Player) or commercial software that’s much more recent (Pinball FX3, Pinball Wicked, Pro Pinball Timeshock).

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                  Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                  Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

outhere
                                    @outhere
                                    MemberContributorvipModerator

Normal Monitor OrientationAlign the top of the Monitors – The monitor numbers in windows don’t mean anything when it comes to Virtual pinball set up
                                    Playfield (Must be primary screen in Windows), To the Right BackGlass, Dmd then Topper  — Not necessarily in the order of 1 2 3

Displays

yakuzaronin
                                    Participant
                                      @yakuzaronin

the extra information about fixing the fp backglass getting in the way totally saved me too!  thanks for such a well prepared information package!!

Genesis38
                                      Participant
                                        @genesis38

im having trouble with DOF linx.  Followed Terry’s guide and I’m certain I have my DOF linx.ini file settings correctly, yet it doesn’t work.  On the section where the different toys are listed, port number etc, does the port need to match my Pinscape ports? I’m literally stumped.  2 days of trying different things and no luck.  

outhere
                                          @outhere
                                          MemberContributorvipModerator

Have this in your DOFLinx.ini  File — DEBUG=1
                                          Clear the DOFLinx.log, Restart the DOFLinx, Play a game, Post the top half of the log

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Genesis38
                                          Participant
                                            @genesis38

Thank you outhere. This is what the log came back with:

20-May-20 13:49:37.907 – DOF Linx for Pinball Emulators – DOFLinx by DDH69
                                            20-May-20 13:49:37.930 – Starting up – version 7.15
                                            20-May-20 13:49:37.933 – For support come and visit the community here http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=104
                                            20-May-20 13:49:37.936 – Pre-Reading DOFLinx.INI startup config file details
                                            20-May-20 13:49:37.989 – DEBUG enabled with showing of window True
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.702 – Joystick # 1 detected : 32 buttons Z-Axis
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.708 – DOFLinx device: 1 Initializing as Pinscape #1 with name=Pinscape Controller
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.711 – DOFLinx device:1 Pinscape setup with 32 outputs
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.714 – DOFLinx device: 2 Initializing as LEDWiz #1 with ID=0
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.717 – DOFLinx device:2 LEDWiz setup with 32 outputs
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.721 – Reading DOFLinx.INI startup config file details
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.724 – Turning DEBUG off
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.737 – DEBUG enabled with showing of window True
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.742 – Reading DirectOutputConfig file named c:\DirectOutput\directoutputconfig51.ini
                                            20-May-20 13:49:38.983 – Set Debug Privilege = Set OK
                                            20-May-20 13:49:40.688 – DOFLinx device: 1 Initializing as Pinscape #1 with name=Pinscape Controller
                                            20-May-20 13:49:40.696 – DOFLinx device:1 Pinscape setup with 32 outputs
                                            20-May-20 13:49:40.698 – DOFLinx device: 2 Initializing as LEDWiz #1 with ID=0
                                            20-May-20 13:49:40.702 – DOFLinx device:2 LEDWiz setup with 32 outputs
                                            20-May-20 13:50:14.893 – Shutting down
                                            20-May-20 13:50:14.914 – Program close

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 186 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?