Getting PinUP Player working with Pin2DMD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Draxonic
    Participant
      @draxonic

Hey folks,

I had to do a lot of fiddling to get this working. Thanks to TerryRed for giving me some pointers.

I initially had installed everything as per the instructions, but had to copy the Pin2DMD version of the DLLs back over the DLLs in the VPinMAME folder, otherwise my DMD didn’t work. When I did that everything seemed to work and I thought “Great!”. Stranger Things was working brilliantly, so I installed the TRON LE PUP Edition and “Uh Oh!”. I was getting the videos to play, and my DMD showed, but the Backglass was just black. I fiddled with settings and DLL files for hours.

TerryRed pointed out to me that the TRON LE PUP Edition was a legacy table and recommended I install the PUP Pack and use the regular table, so I did that, then the Backglass showed up and I thought “Great!” except that very few of the videos actually triggered. It was suggested that I had to reinstall the DMDExt and PinUp Player to make sure that the right DLLs were being used. I did that, but then….. the DMD didn’t work again.

I went digging on the Internet and found this thread that suggested the firmware version might be a problem, so I downloaded the old 4.1.0 STM-Link utility from here and used that to downgrade the firmware (Note that you have to plug a USB cable into a different USB port on the device AND install the driver that interface uses for the utility to detect the card and change the firmware).

Unfortunately, that didn’t fix it, so I started thinking “What if I need to downgrade the driver as well?”, so I did that using the zadiag_2.1.2.exe utility and “BINGO!”. Everything worked

Hopefully this helps someone and saves some hours of troubleshooting.

Drax.

Addendum:

The firmware and driver are built into the utilities to apply them.

ST-LINK Utility v4.1.0 will apply firmware V2.J28.M18 – Get it HERE.

When you run ST-LINK:

• Plug a USB cable between the computer and the other USB port on the card.
      • Install the driver in device manager for the new interface.
      • Open the program and find the Firmware upgrade option in the menu.
      • Press the Connect button to connect to the card.
      • Install the old firmware over the new firmware.

zadiag_2.1.2.exe will install driver versions WinUSB v6.1.7600.16385, libusb-win32 v1.2.6.0 & libusbK v3.0.7.0  – Get it HERE.

When you run zadiag:

• Stop the auto-update.
      • Select “List All Devices” from the options menu.
      • Select the PIN2DMD in the list.
      • Install the libusb-win32 driver.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Great you got it sorted and perfect information for the next guy.  :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

rablack97
        Participant
          @rablack97

Which version of pin2dmd did you downgrade to and which driver?

Queniart
          Participant
            @queniart62

Bonjour atous et encore merci pour le travail que vous faite mais voila mon sousci jaimerai conserve mets topper tout en jouant sur pinupmenu

Draxonic
            Participant
              @draxonic

Which version of pin2dmd did you downgrade to and which driver?

The firmware and driver are built into the utilities to apply them.

ST-LINK Utility v4.1.0 will apply firmware V2.J28.M18 – Get it HERE.

zadiag_2.1.2.exe will install driver versions WinUSB v6.1.7600.16385, libusb-win32 v1.2.6.0 & libusbK v3.0.7.0 – (decline the auto-update) – Get it HERE.

Edit: Install the libusb-win32 driver.

Draxonic
              Participant
                @draxonic

FYI – The April Windows 10 update has broken UltraDMD. Not sure how to get it working again. *sigh*

Edit: Argh – never mind – it wasn’t broken. Turns out it was my own dumb self.   :-(

Ciceronic
                Participant
                  @ciceronic

Great post!

Got stuck in the exact same problem while starting up th PinUP-system.

But I was too lazy to plug the USB cable to downgrade firmware, so I started with only Zadiag downgrade. ;)
                  That worked directly. Before change I could not get anything on my PIN2DMD doing “DMDext test”, and directly after it worked.
                  Have tried some tables, and all seems good.

Only thing I notice is that I lost the DMD colorization (Medieval Madness, AC DC + more), but that might be some setup misstake..

EDIT:
                  Solved the DMD Colorizaion problem. Also a driver issue. Freezy 1.7.2 was causing this problem. Swithed to 1.7.1 and all is fine again.

So to sumarize, if you run PIN2DMD and want DMD Colorization:

PIN2DMD Firmware 2.66, Driver Zadiag 2.1.2
                  FREEZY 1.7.1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?