Getting Started — Questions on Cab Dimensions and Playfield

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lacarno
    Participant
      @lacarno

Hello Everyone,

Recently found the world of virtual pinball and I’d like to do a cabinet build.  As with getting into anything new, it can be a bit overwhelming at first.  I’m hoping you all can help me get started.

First up — Cabinet dimensions.  The williams widebody seems to be the popular choice for cabinet dimensions.  Other than following the plans, is there anything else I should know about before getting started with this style of build?

Next up playfield.  I’m going to go 4k.  43″ seems to be popular with the widebody cabinet.  I’m thinking about going with a tv over a monitor to save some cash, especially with Black Friday sales starting up.  What brands/models have worked well for you guys?

Also, I’ve seen some builds where the playfield screen is flat and some builds where it is sloped.  For those of you who have used one or the other, is what is your preference?  If you do slope it, at what angle?

Finally, any other advice for someone who is just getting started would be greatly appreciated.  Like I said, it can be overwhelming to jump in to something where there are so many opportunities for customization.  I’m still trying to decide what sort of design elements and features (LEDs, Beacons, solenoids, etc) I want to incorporate.  Generally speaking, I’d like to end up with something with a reasonably “real” feel to it.

Thanks in advance!

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator
        1. Make sure that you are using plywood with correct thickness – makes it much easier if you decide on using Paul’ (VPF admin) flipper button kit from virtuapin. Stay away from his nudge/plunger though.
        2. Sure you want a TV ? Size seems fine to me. You need a nvidia 1070 or better to drive a 4k.
        3. We have all different angles in our cabs, since it is mostly a personal preference thing. Test it out and decide yourself. You might get restricted by flashers in the back.
        4. You basically want the stuff that Zebs sells as a kit. Not saying you should buy it, just telling you what I recommend for toys. There are several good alternatives out there. I simply haven’t tried them all so I can’t really tell you what is the best solution. If would however really recommend looking into getting yourself the “Rob” SSF setup for realism, and that is when it helps that you landed on a widebody.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        gtxjoe
        Participant
          @gtxjoe

Wide body for 4K builds. Not many 4K TV smaller than 43” which don’t fit in standard body

Sloped if you plan to put rgb leds, strobes and or LED matrix in the back

I did 1” down in front and 4” down in the back.  This can change depending on if the TV hits your flipper buttons or plungers

Pinball cabinet, TV and buttons and speakers make it real.  I would set up the SW on your current PC and test drive it before spending $1000s on your cab build

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Lacarno
          Participant
            @lacarno
            1. Make sure that you are using plywood with correct thickness – makes it much easier if you decide on using Paul’ (VPF admin) flipper button kit from virtuapin. Stay away from his nudge/plunger though.
            2. Sure you want a TV ? Size seems fine to me. You need a nvidia 1070 or better to drive a 4k.
            3. We have all different angles in our cabs, since it is mostly a personal preference thing. Test it out and decide yourself. You might get restricted by flashers in the back.
            4. You basically want the stuff that Zebs sells as a kit. Not saying you should buy it, just telling you what I recommend for toys. There are several good alternatives out there. I simply haven’t tried them all so I can’t really tell you what is the best solution. If would however really recommend looking into getting yourself the “Rob” SSF setup for realism, and that is when it helps that you landed on a widebody.
            1. What is the correct thickness plywood?
            2. No, I’m not sure, but that it the cheaper way to go if the difference between a tv and a monitor isn’t all that noticeable for this project.  If going with a monitor is clearly a better experience, then I’m open to it.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?