Gilligan's Island (Bally 1991) VPX

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Al
    Participant
      @alandee

With the crackly sound, you might try ….

Cheers I’ll Give it a run tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the link ( and all your hard work ! )

Edit: Yep it certainly improved things. While still a bit average, I can make out what they are saying now ! Cheers for that.

ha

;-)

Edit : Now I can’t get a jungle run ramp to work :| How can I properly delete the table so I can set it up again ? just delete and the nv file assuming there is one ? Dip swith for USA 1 and USA 2 don’t appear to make a difference, the ramp lowers, the light flashes but it can’t get past an invisible wall at the top of the ramp .. doh ! what have I done !! I broke it :(

Cheers,

al.

Al
      Participant
        @alandee

The table is so real I was able to pry the turntable out with a screwdriver and check there wasn’t a stripped gear :)

And also after F3ing a number of times the turnatble rotated for the first time since i mucked it up and it is working a treat since  !

Love this table !

Cheers,

al.

DJRobX
          @djrobx
          MemberModerator

With the crackly sound, you might try ….

Cheers I’ll Give it a run tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the link ( and all your hard work ! ) Edit: Yep it certainly improved things. While still a bit average, I can make out what they are saying now ! Cheers for that.

ha

;-) Edit : Now I can’t get a jungle run ramp to work :| How can I properly delete the table so I can set it up again ? just delete and the nv file assuming there is one ? Dip swith for USA 1 and USA 2 don’t appear to make a difference, the ramp lowers, the light flashes but it can’t get past an invisible wall at the top of the ramp .. doh ! what have I done !! I broke it :( Cheers, al.

Yep.  Or go into the test menu an reset to factory settings.    Often going to the test menu and running the mechanical tests will get these games to “recalibrate” themselves also.

And yes the VC2010 build helps the sound crackle but won’t do anything for the awful voice compression, especially that singing at the beginning.    Eeek.   Might have to try this pinsound file to see how it is, might be more appropriate to go with such a beautiful table.    Which reminds me, I need to update my builds to include pinsound support… :wacko:

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?s=b84a632d12b83e890e44c4a05aa290e1&app=downloads&showcat=17

CarnyPriest
          Participant
            @carnypriest

+1 for pinsound

The template exists for the table. Somebody can go in and replace the original rom sound extracts with the theme and music cues from the actual TV program. In other words, I don’t think it would be hard but someone would still have to do the work of locating and editing replacement sound files so that they would have the same length, as the original sound clips,  etc.

Enable pinsound support by adding VPINMAME_PINSOUND and VPINMAME_ALTSOUND to Preprocessor Definitions

Myself, I don’t really want to revert to a five year old compiler. I’d rather figure out what combination of optimizations will give good results with the current compiler. I don’t think that the sound is that bad given the samples are lousy to begin with.

I think the question is not if it sounds bad (it does) but is the emulation worse than the real thing. As a document, I should not expect VPM to improve on the real table. If you want to make improvements, really substantial ones, just go the pinsound route.

DJRobX
              @djrobx
              MemberModerator

I don’t think that the sound is that bad given the samples are lousy to begin with.

If you get bitten by the issue you’ll understand.  The sound will start to break up and scratch like you’re listening to a radio station that’s cutting out.   For some reason this table is more prone to it than other WPC tables I have, and was even happening to me on my cab with a fast processor after playing for a while.   Previously I was only seeing issues on a slow machine with sensitive tables like SMB.

It may be that the 2015 builds work just fine on yours.   These sorts of performance problems we have with VP and VPM are kind of a nightmare, they can be set off by weird factors.    Unfortunately I’ve tried just about every relevant optimization setting in VS2015, and nothing really seems to help.     Thalamus reported that Toxie’s 2013 build wasn’t any better for him.    Given that people with fast CPUs see the issue it may not even be an optimization thing.

After enabling AltSound with Gilligan’s, I was quickly reminded why I wasn’t missing it.   The current VPM implementation seems pretty buggy.   Gilligan’s mostly just makes a boinging sound over and over and periodically plays music.    TAF sounds pretty good but it seems to miss some events or something.   Things just seem to become “disconnected” from table activity often.   It definitely could be a great feature with more tweaking though.

CarnyPriest
              Participant
                @carnypriest

Performance on my machine – yeah, it is either working OK for me or I have a tin ear to these things. I’m not one to judge because I don’t get out there and play the real machines very often. It’s rare enough that I’m happy just to be playing and am not in an experimental frame of mind about the experience. My CPU is no great shakes (my cab is nearly four years old now), but I am not too surprised given that VP is a single threaded app that throwing an i7 with more cores at the problem is not giving a boost as expected. I know that you have gone down the cpu affinity route.

I think the quality of the assets themselves in the pinsound files may make the difference in what you hear. I’m not clear on the history of Pinsound. It looks to me like in the community forums that most of the initial uploads for all tables were done by site admins. They were basically just dumping the OST. I consider that the intent of these were just providing table level templates to aid users in the community to replace tracks with better ones of the same length. No one in that community has seen fit as of yet to upload something different for GI. So, it may be a bit much to expect good stuff from that one file set that is currently available. I have not yet tried many of the actual reorchestrations that are available. The IJ one is very, very good. For history, I like the lost Chris Granner DCS ST for TZ. I don’t think that one is quite complete.

Also, the altsound implementation was the older solution. The newer one is the pinsound implementation which requires the pinsound studio software. I have not tried this solution yet, and I have not seen much feedback about it. It may solve some of the issues surrounding different playback levels for different clips. Could be a real gem that has not been exploited at all yet.

DJRobX
                  @djrobx
                  MemberModerator

VP and VPM will run on separate threads.   So dual core is helpful here.   You don’t need a golden ear to hear the problem once it happens.  You’re most likely not experiencing the issue.

I saw that PinSound was a separate define but didn’t know that it linked to a different software solution, I assumed it was a hardware thing like P-ROC. I’ll have to check that out then!

CarnyPriest
                  Participant
                    @carnypriest

Testing out the pinsound option has been on my to-do list for months.

chokeee
                    Participant
                      @chokeee

The table looks amazing but there is a strong ball backspin.

RustyCardores
                        @rustycardores
                        MemberModerator

I’ve run PinSound on a number of my table for months now…. I’ve noticed no problems and PinSound fixed the heavily distorted crackles that existed on the original sounds.

Not all PinSound files are worth the effort however.  I like remastered originals and not the new interpretations.  Plus some are just dumps of the existing sounds with no remastering or improvements made…. after having a quick listen just then, I think this is the category that GI falls into. :(

Dark
                          @dark
                          vipMemberContributor

Version 1.3 is up, see change log.

3dcreation

5 users thanked author for this post.
                          TNT2
                          Participant
                            @tnt2

Wowsers. Kona looks real.

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Thanks for the update dark!

********************************************************
                              Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                              for IOS and Android

Mark70
                              Participant
                                @mark70

Thanks for the update, Dark.  Table works like a charm

Dark
                                  @dark
                                  vipMemberContributor

Gorgeous looking Table! Like it a lot. Was wondering if anyone has the same problem too. When I run the table all I get is the sounds. don’t get the Speech or at the startup the Singing to the Theme song. I have the latest update for 10.2 and scripts. Is there a setting in the table itself. Thanks for any help

I’ve had this happen on occasion, but restarting the game once or twice just seemed to fix it.

3dcreation

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

some playing video with a bad player

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                    for IOS and Android

TXT11
                                    Participant
                                      @txt11

Does anyone else get a ‘DOF Flipper’ error after launching table and pressing a flipper button for the first time?  Is this sign of me missing/old ……. (what?)……  Controller.vbs , VPinMame.dll out of date?????  Any advice appreciated.  I am not running with LED Lights in the script and the older flasher table version but the latest VPX  :negative:

Daryl
                                      Participant
                                        @allknowing2012

Does anyone else get a ‘DOF Flipper’ error after launching table and pressing a flipper button for the first time? Is this sign of me missing/old ……. (what?)…… Controller.vbs , VPinMame.dll out of date????? Any advice appreciated. I am not running with LED Lights in the script and the older flasher table version but the latest VPX :negative:

Update your scripts .. nothing to do with vpinmame. perhaps you have some older ones in tables versus the scripts directory.

Dark
                                          @dark
                                          vipMemberContributor

Thanks Dark It’s working now. Speech is somewhat distorted. Hope there will be a fix or update to that soon. Fun Table! Thanks everyone for all your time and hard work on it.

There are some other users who have had issues with the speech/sound quality. Djrobx posted a solution earlier in this support topic.  Apparently either the poor quality sound is something that affects you or not.  Even if the sound is working correctly it’s not the best quality to begin with.

3dcreation

DJRobX
                                            @djrobx
                                            MemberModerator

Yep, what Dark said.

If you use Pinsound with the samples link I referenced, you instead listen to recordings from a real machine than the emulated audio from VPM.  It initially starts out bugged for a minute, but then it works.  It’s really not any better.    The voices are slightly more on pitch during the singing (ugh) and a touch smoother, but overall it’s not great.

I think the problem is the table visuals are so beautifully done, it feels like it needs better quality audio.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 142 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?