Gilligan’s Island (Bally 1991)_Bigus(MOD)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bigus1
    Participant
      @bigus1

https://vpinball.com/?post_type=cmdm_page&p=171650

This fun table is from Dark and ICPjuggla.

I’ve given it a makeover with a nice new playfield.

Enjoy

11 users thanked author for this post.
      studlygoorite
      Participant
        @studlygoorite

Thanks for this looks great, I’m going to install this baby right now………..

Table definitely pops more, thanks again!

Dark
          @dark
          vipMemberContributor

For clarity and posterity:

Original table link: https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/gilligans-island-bally-1991-vpx/

Original table wip: https://vpinball.com/bb_project/gilligans-island-3d-vpx-wip/

Original table credits: Ben Logan, Dark, ICPjuggla, mfuegemann,zany,rothbauerw

The conditions I allowed this mod were:

• Permission to mod this mod = no.
          • It not be re-distributed outside of vpinball
          • ICPjuggla also had to give permission to mod.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

The play field is not new, it’s the same one just with some filters run on it.

3dcreation

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

Surprised to see this. I hadn’t considered the original version in need of an update. Curious to see the difference.

robertms
              Participant
                @mophead

Is publishing of this “mod” even necessary? I always thought this table was darn near perfect. If there was a better playfield available submit it to the original author for consideration and let them publish an update if they see it as improvement. It bugs me to no end when Bigus lists himself as the lead author on these “mods”; at the very least be respectful and tag your name at the end of the existing credits.

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Never a huge fan of these mini mods and why not offer pf to original author to update original table?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

STAT
                  Participant
                    @stefanaustria
                    MemberContributor

PF (if really is an…) Update to the Author would be a nice Way, to avoid so much different Download Pages/Sites …

Hard to say, where is a (possible…) Fix still in / or not, and more …

bord
                      @bord

GIdetail

I’m going to hold back the graphic design part of me that tends to be exorbitantly didactic about visual minutiae:

I think it is important to temper excitement about “upscale” technology that adds resolution where there is none. In most cases it is just adding haloing and contrast in varying degrees of success (and adding contrast incorrectly also screws up colors). So in the image above we have at left the original and and right the upscale. Certainly we’ve added contrast in the image on the right, which has increased the perception of sharpness around the eyes in particular. But what it has also done is highlight the lack of resolution in the text and rope and given us plenty of haloing and aliasing that were only hinted at in the original version. All design taste being relative, I much prefer the one on the left. Punchy, contrasty or sharper do not de facto equal better. Ever watch an HDTV with the sharpening turned up above 0? Exciting for the first minute because it is so sharp, but then your eyeballs are bleeding and you can’t believe anything so gaudy could be allowed to be broadcast. You can goose any image to the nth degree and it may “pop” but it also doesn’t look natural. In pinball simulation I want something that looks detailed, but also like I am looking at a silk screened hunk of illuminated wood. Silk screening does not create sharpening halos. As soon as I see signs of oversharpening while playing virtual pinball my mind knows I’m seeing bullshit.

There you go. That’s my tempered screed on upscaling. And bigus, sorry it had to land in your thread. There are plenty of other upscaled images that deserve my ire equally.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Bigus1
                      Participant
                        @bigus1

How about a shadow rolling over a light for looking totally fake, or shadows that block light generally? No need to zoom-in to witness that. Light defeats shadow where I come from. While we’re nitpicking and all ….

Bigus1
                        Participant
                          @bigus1

By the way, I offered the whole table to Dark – the pf part took 5 minutes – and he directed me to upload it myself. There was a lot more involved than just swapping pf image. Please don’t gang-up to belittle my efforts. At least I don’t swipe tables and upload them the same day with a new sound and not even call it a mod. Don’t see that one being removed.

bord
                            @bord

How about a shadow rolling over a light for looking totally fake, or shadows that block light generally? No need to zoom-in to witness that. Light defeats shadow where I come from. While we’re nitpicking and all ….

Yup, that sucks too.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

By the way, I offered the whole table to Dark – the pf part took 5 minutes – and he directed me to upload it myself. There was a lot more involved than just swapping pf image. Please don’t gang-up to belittle my efforts. At least I don’t swipe tables and upload them the same day with a new sound and not even call it a mod. Don’t see that one being removed.

What table are we talking about here ? I can’t recall you creating a single table. So, there must be someone else ? – or ?

Bigus1
                              Participant
                                @bigus1

LIS

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

Ah. You mean the mod of the vp9 from PinKitty – don’t you ? I looked at your script as you know and I did see very little effort into actually creating something new. I have a feeling that you basically opened up a vp9 table in vpx – saved, exported and up-scaled the pf and then did what you always do. Change the light. I expect you’ve become quite efficient in that process so it can’t have taken you much time. And you come whining about that someone stole it from you ? C’mon.

If you do that kind of shit – then admit it -and credit the previous author, just like you’ve at least now are doing for vpx. You did not CREATE Lost in Space. It requires studying manuals and shit and you are too lazy for that.

Bigus1
                                  Participant
                                    @bigus1

I never said it was mine. Never do. DevaL uploaded it. I modded it and identified it as such.  Double standards is all I see. Just like all the other conversions hosted here as their own work – I’ve even collaborated on some of them. At least some other authors value my skills. I still have the PB table that I was sent for lighting, if you want to see chalk and cheese.  And it’s evident from your comments that you have no idea what I do to these tables. Maybe one of your preferred authors can explain the importance of lighting in art, especially 3D, before being so dismissive. You can hate me, if it makes you feel better, but I’m just trying to contribute where I can and the punters seem to like it. Content is King :)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?