Gottlieb Standard Cabinet Build

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Bikertrash00
    Participant
      @bikertrash00

I am finally getting started on my first virtual pinball machine and will post the build as I go. I am starting with a 1978 Gottlieb cabinet I picked up with the playfiled, backglass and boards removed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

Bikertrash00
      Participant
        @bikertrash00

I did get the side rails off using tips off the link provided and being a gearhead I grabbed one of my flat tools for removing door panels and then used nippers to pull nails.

Bikertrash00
        Participant
          @bikertrash00

I created this thread from a build that is basically complete and posting hoping to help others.

I am built this cabinet using:

1978 Gottlieb Dragon Cabinet

40″ Sceptre X405BV-FSR Playfield

27″ Olevia TV (old) Backlglass

15″ Dell (old) DMD

Computer Specs:

MSI B250M Pro VDH

Intel G4560 (7th Gen)

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4Gb

G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400 8gb (2x4gb)

Seasonic 750FM PSU

Samsung 850 evo 256GB

Windows 10

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Cabinet looks very clean.  Makes things a bit easier!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

Bikertrash00
            Participant
              @bikertrash00

Thanks, the cabinet was in decent shape and I am going the keep it original.

I routed the cabinet and installed supports to get the TV in without decasing, Added pieces of MDF to floor. I am working on back glass monitors and speakers, I will get more pictures posted shortly!

richmidd
              Participant
                @richmidd

Looking forward to the build.  Just starting my own build with a old Prospector cabinet.  Need lots of ideas.  :good:

Bikertrash00
                Participant
                  @bikertrash00

Back Glass & DMD. I ended up de-casing our old syntax 27″ TV and it fits perfect with some mods, as far as the DMD I am using a 15″ monitor, I am making a template to cut cut my final piece of MDF and I set up the template for the top half of that 15″ screen so the opening is 4 1/2″ x 12″. The speakers are 5 1/4″ Kenwoods and I am cutting a 4 1/4″ hole for those, total width I have to work with is 25 1/2″

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

making good progress!

Great use of old television for backglass!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                    for IOS and Android

Ark Malmeida
                    Participant
                      @arkmalmeida

Looking good!  Nice clean build so far.

Bikertrash00
                      Participant
                        @bikertrash00

Well for the same reason I did not build a cabinet from scratch I am more a Framer and defiantly not a Finish Carpenter LOL, could not cut a straight line to save my ass even with a strait edge (jig), I hope to clean it up with a router.

Scottacus
                        Participant
                          @scottacus
                          MembervipContributor

Looks great!  One suggestion that I would make is that if you are planning on putting addressable LEDs on the sides of the playfield, consider making routes in the cab sides for them so that they are flush with the sides of the cab.  I added mine after my table was finished so I had to put them on removable aluminum strips that are screwed into the sides of the cab.  It is a pain to pull them out every time you want to raise the playfield monitor to get at what’s under it and you also run the risk of damaging the thin traces on the addressable LED strips every time you unplug and replug them in.  If you can set and forget them you will be much happier in the end!

2 users thanked author for this post.
                          Bikertrash00
                          Participant
                            @bikertrash00

Scottacus, thanks for the great heads up! Too bad I am already past that point, I stated earlier in this thread that the project is pretty much done. I have not even looked in to any lighting yet and it is almost spring so it might have to wait till next winter…lol.

Bikertrash00
                            Participant
                              @bikertrash00

I got the router out after my terrible cuts and straightened everything up and cut the speaker holes. I decided to attach bottom monitor and speakers to the MDF so I have easy access by just swinging the back glass from open, I made 4 tabs to attach monitor and instead of putting speaker grills on the front I picked up a large speaker grill from thrift store for $0.49 and I will use the cloth off of it.

Scottacus
                              Participant
                                @scottacus
                                MembervipContributor

Nice job!   I’ve not seen a swing open backbox front, that seems like a great solution for your situation.  What will you use to keep it closed?  I have a shaker motor in my cab that shakes the heck out of the machine when turned on so I’m curious about how you will keep the door closed tight should you add one of those in the future.

I thought about your cab and how to install addressable LEDs should you choose to in the future.  An option for you would be to attach them to the monitor bezel.  I had to uncase my monitor so I didn’t have that option but in your instance, the LEDs could be attached to strips that sit on top of the bezel and help close off the gaps between the edges of the monitor case and the machine sides.

Bikertrash00
                                Participant
                                  @bikertrash00

This is the clip I used, it is spring loaded and works great, only used one for easier access to turn the backglass monitor on. As far as the addressable I will figure something out I did see someone used magnets or maybe some velcro will work.

Back-Box-Clip

Attachments:
                                  Scottacus
                                  Participant
                                    @scottacus
                                    MembervipContributor

That will work great.  You mention needing to get into the backbox to turn on your monitors.  I don’t know what you are using for input controls but I highly recommend mjr’s Pinscape boards for the job (I don’t know if Mike is on this site but he is active on vpforums).  These boards will take care of all of your input/output needs including the ability to turn on multiple screens on startup.  The also take keyboard inputs, have a built in accelerometer for nudging, handle plunger position input, power flashers, strobes, knocker and can integrate with other boards for chime units, contactors and anything else you might possibly want in a cab short of addressable LED strips (Teensy handles that).

Bikertrash00
                                    Participant
                                      @bikertrash00

Yes I am using the Pinscape cotroller (KL25Z)

Bikertrash00
                                      Participant
                                        @bikertrash00

Finished up the backglass/DMD/Speaker panel and installed case fan in cabinet.

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus
                                          ContributorMemberModerator

My cab is using monitors, so, I only need to turn the power on/off. I have DOF, Backglass and Playfield controlled by remote. Another benefit from this solution is that all units are powered on slightly after each other so the fuse doesn’t blow.

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=3984725

To turn the computer on/off I open the coin door and push a button.

Bikertrash00
                                          Participant
                                            @bikertrash00

I do have a smart strip that powers everything when I turn the PC on and the DMD monitor is fine but the back glass and playfield I have to manually hit the switch, I will have to use an IR type trigger, I have the playfield IR receiver removed from case and hangs inside cabinet, the back glass monitor is decased and the receiver also hangs in back glass cabinet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?