GOTW August 26 to Sept 1 – Alien Star by BorgDog (see config notes)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Scotty VH
      @scottt
      ModeratorMember

The game of the week for August 26- September 1 is Alien Star by BorgDog.  It was selected by some cat named Berins, a friend of Thalamus, who won last week’s GOTW.

Please note the following configuration requirement:  Games must be played with these settings

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Advice on the game is that the inl-anes are super important. Once the switch is hit you have a short time to shoot by left flipper for a bonus X or the right flipper for a increased value on the spinner. The right target bank. Complete it and then look at the saucer on the left for a lock. But, be greedy. If it is at 2x, don’t lock it. 3x consider it or if it as 5x you want it desperately. How to change it ? The spinner. If you manage to lock the ball at 5x and get the right inlane + hit the spinner while it is lit blue. The score really soars. I just love the sound the machine gives when you manage have the blue light + mb.

One of the things I love the most about this recreation is how well Dan made the flippers. I can semi consistent do Shatz shots into the in-lanes so if you dare you can get highly awared. Being that there is a limit of 50 games makes it really a gamble because this table cab be brutal. Be prepared shake the ball coming from the left kicker ever so slightly. Sometime it is needed in order to get that mb going.

https://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-alley-pass-shatz-the-inlane/

freelunch
        Participant
          @freelunch

I got my first multiball on game 12, and with 5x locked on the spinner. Thanks for the tips @Thalamus . Scoring feels like squeezing water from a rock before multiball. I was almost discouraged from playing more today after 10 games, but the dopamine in my brain had other ideas. I just didn’t want to quit before getting multiball. Good thing I don’t gamble.

Thalamus
            @thalamus

Congratulations. That not a bad score at all. !!! Main reason for choosing this game is both the sound and the feeling of accomplishment  when you manage to combine the X with spinner while in mb. And the sound … oh boy. Got to love it ! It does help that it is very well made too.

STAT
            Participant
              @stefanaustria
              MemberContributor

Nice Table here on this GOW, maybe i try some Coins at the evening …

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

I’ll go ahead and save the update I’m doing based on the attached low res copy of a scan of the plastics (I do have the original 300dpi scans.. and the plastics) as it may result in a little geometry change as it will be the most accurate pieces on the table since it was all based on mostly crap resources.  I will own one of these someday if I have to build it from scratch.

ASplastics

Attachments:
                STAT
                Participant
                  @stefanaustria
                  MemberContributor

I only get 934 M … :scratch:

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

Try harder ;)

If you get the combo I meantion. Then the Million should not be too hard to get. But, as a game without that. 900k isn’t bad.

I played 12 games on wednesday I believe. Just barely reached 3M.

STAT
                    Participant
                      @stefanaustria
                      MemberContributor

Can anyone tell me, why freelunch have a “dark-clear” PF, and mine is just bright and Grey ?

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

It might be that he has a monitor with IPS and you don’t ? If you take the same picture – but with a less steep angle. Does the colors come out differently ?

freelunch
                        Participant
                          @freelunch

Can anyone tell me, why freelunch have a “dark-clear” PF, and mine is just bright and Grey ?

I took a screenshot, not a photo. If you look at the download page, BorgDog’s screenshot playfield lighting looks the same as mine. I think your photo is just a little overexposed. If tables generally look more washed out when you play, you could try fiddling with the display settings on your TV. It’s also possible your TV’s viewing angles are not the best and cause it to look more washed out compared to when you look at it head-on.

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

This is a photo. I do have a monitor. I just can’t leave this game alone. This was my 25th game and I missed whole lot of 5x with bonus opportunities. Lost some of the game sound mid game.

20180901_232708

freelunch
                            Participant
                              @freelunch

I used my 50 games and never passed a million since.

STAT
                              Participant
                                @stefanaustria
                                MemberContributor

No it’s for sure not a Color Thing on my Monitor – i Play since 2009, back 2014 and Maybe i modified too much at this one,
                                some Table’s have/had some “Grey Shine” …
                                Probably, i changed PF Material, or Emission Image, don’t know – i Always ask, i should check it directly on Cab,
                                “Unfortunately” my Cab is in my Cellar now, since this Summer, and not left to me as it was before.

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus

@stat : Well, the good thing. BorgDog seems to have a new and improved version ready for us very soon. Don’t mess that one up too ;-)

STAT
                                  Participant
                                    @stefanaustria
                                    MemberContributor

Thanks Thalamus, and BorgDog … sounds good … btw. who start the next GOW Table here ?

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

I expect that will be Freelunch. One person can’t choose two weeks in a row. We just have to wait for the official ruling B-)

Scotty VH
                                        @scottt
                                        ModeratorMember

Yep, that’s the rule, Thalamus.  The result of the community debate was the ruling that one person can’t select the table two weeks in a row.  So, FreeLunch, it’s your call.  What shall we play next week?

Great score BTW, Thalamus!

freelunch
                                        Participant
                                          @freelunch

@bord recently finished a nice update to Flight 2000 https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/flight-2000-stern-1980/

To prevent stealing locks between games, which you should do for fair play, here’s a trick. On Line 219 of the script, add
                                          If keycode = RightMagnaSave Then SolBallLock (1)
                                          or replace RightMagnaSave with a whatever key you want. After a game over, press the key a couple times until you flush all the locked balls. Only do this between games unless you want some silly stuff to happen while playing (obviously don’t do this in the middle of a game when competing for the GOTW challenge).

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus

Good table and cool way of fixing a possible exploit :good:

But. Wouldn’t this also suggest that one should only run one-player games ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?