GOTW March 3-9 — Sliderpoint's Pirates of the Caribbean

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Scotty VH
      @scottt
      ModeratorMember

The game of the week for March 3-9 is Pirates of the Caribbean.   It was chosen by Scotty VH, since Bob Albright won the previous week’s GOTW.  Please play on the latest version (1.1) from Sliderpoint available on VPinball.com.

To keep the “playfield even” for people with different amounts of time to play, there is a 50 game per week limit.

Please post your scores this week by replying to this post.

Bob Albright
      Participant
        @bobalbright

I have a couple games to play to reach the 20, but I’ll post this now, because I doubt that I will improve upon it.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Bob Albright
        Participant
          @bobalbright

Soooooo….we’re not doing GOW anymore?

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Scotty VH
            @scottt
            ModeratorMember

Soooooo….we’re not doing GOW anymore?

Good question, Bob.  I had to drop off for a few weeks, and it looks like the new posts didn’t quite happen.  I’m happy to restart it, but this shows that we really do need a self-sustaining method for this to continue without requiring a single administrator (me) to make a new post every Sunday morning.  Any ideas??

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

Over at VPF we used to manage it on our own, but, that thread died out eventually. I personally love to compete playing pinball. But, when ever anyone beats me I keep wondering if they are playing like @wob76 trying to catch as many frames as possible from the game for the color creators or something else. I’m really a bad looser to be perfectly honest, for some odd reason, more so when it comes to pinball than anything else :wacko: I enjoy seeing what scores the other guys are at and if they beat me, I shrug it off by telling myself that they cheated or doesn’t have the tilt bob adjusted well enough yet. :whistle:   In short, I would would miss it if it isn’t continued, but, if we are not enough people caring/participating to be able to administer it ourselves, then you surely should not have to keep it up. That is my opinion on the matter.

Oh yes. I almost forgot. There is one thing that has been great with you being the admin. You’ve had me laughing more than a few times being as the head admin and decision maker. :good:

Wob76
              Participant
                @wob76

@Thalamus I think that was a complement ? I can play like that when not doing dumps ;) I must say I’ve tried to get my tilt realistic (just via analogue nudge as I don’t have a tilt bob yet), but it’s still a little more generous than my real pin.

I was doing some comps, not this one in particular, when I am motivated they are great fun and push you gameplay, I get super frustrated at older tables :)

Thalamus
                  @thalamus

Yes. It was meant as a compliment but, also as an example to why gameplay can’t be fair from install to install. I can’t move the ball at all by buttons. And my tilt bob is very sensitive. Small shake and I’m done for. And btw. I once again want to thank you for the huge effort you’ve put down in getting as many scenes as possible out of these games. :rose:

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

I’m sure I could automate this somehow but I would miss the witty comments but Scottyvh.  But I do understand it’s work :(

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                    for IOS and Android

jbg4208
                    Participant
                      @jbg4208

I love these comps.. love playing new games and learning more about the rules of each one. It’s just a busy time of year for me. Older kid playing softball about everynight. Spring time means yard work, garden prep and outside till dark. Then younger kids bedtime routines and before you know it is 11pm..  Thank you Scotty for keeping up with it as long as you have. <!–more–>

cure80
                      Participant
                        @cure80

I am not sure what the SQL  situation is on the server specifically, regarding downloadable content. If is exists or can be established, I would think you could simply query a list of available VPX table downloads with the latest versions. I would create a simple table with a Table name, version, last selected date. this could likely be automated by setting up a scheduled job which would:

1. Query for new download content.
                        2. depending on what approach you take you  can either
                          1. Append new tables only and update existing table versions
                          2. OR Append new tables only and update existing table versions clearing last selected date
                        3. Check for random GOW eligibility (You could set the eligibility based on last selected date < x days pasted  since  last  played, by either  each version or  table name.)
                        4. Select a random table from that pool.
                        5. Append date selected for play for the randomly selected table.

random function isn’t too hard

INSERT INTO selected_table (TableName, Version, DateSelected)

SELECT  TableName

,  Version

, Current date

FROM
                        PinballTables

where DateSelected < current date – 365 days
                        ORDER BY RAND()
                        LIMIT 1;

Scotty VH
                          @scottt
                          ModeratorMember

Hmmm!!! Interesting approach, cure80!

People that understand this stuff:  Is this possible/doable?

goofything
                          Participant
                            @goofything

Any updates on whether the GOTW will continue with or without automation? People are posting some best scores on a few tables (Stranger Things, the new HP, Swords of Fury, etc.) in the VP Junkies Facebook page, but it would be more fun with more participation and a single location.

Scotty VH
                              @scottt
                              ModeratorMember

Good question, Goofything.  I think there’s definitely interest, but the automation ideas and techniques discussed are out of my skill set.

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

I could try a half ass attempt at something if there was enough interested people

********************************************************
                                for IOS and Android

Badazzwi
                                Participant
                                  @badazzwi

I’m interested. It would give me a reason to play my machine more instead of working on it all the time.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

I don’t see the point in joining any such competition as long as is no rules to how you’re nudge is setup. With VP9 enabled nudge you can easily divert any ball, any time from its path. My cab is nothing like that and the tilt bob is set very sensitive. You should at least separate scores between those.

goofything
                                    Participant
                                      @goofything

I just see it as something fun to do, to bring people together and to separate skill levels. I’d guess there will be a group that are really awesome, a group in the middle and a group somewhere below that. I like to see what a good score is relative to my own skill level. So, I don’t see this as a serious competition, more a social thing. To that extent, we just have to rely on everyone’s honesty. If people have a need to cheat to make them feel better, so be it. They have to live with themselves. It’s no different than if I go golfing and come back and tell my friend I shot an XX, how’d you do last week. And, he says he did YY. I would take that at face value that it’s a legit score and he wasn’t moving the ball out of hazards, taking gimmes for certain putts, etc.

But, yes, there will always be differences between everyone’s table setup, particularly the nudge function.

But, for me, again, it’s just fun and something to chase. If I get 50 million on Stranger Things and someone comes along and gets 60 million, I’m now motivated to play and see if I can beat 60m. If someone else comes along with a  score of 250 million, I tip my head and say WOW, you are way out of my league.

Scotty VH
                                        @scottt
                                        ModeratorMember

Going out on a crazy limb here….. could VPX be updated with an option to enforce “Tournament mode” settings (determined by the table author) that displays some sort of checkmark to show that the settings of the game were not changed?

Badazzwi
                                        Participant
                                          @badazzwi

I’m competitive by nature but I’m also fair and honest. My tilt settings are pretty sensitive. For me it’s more about the fun of it and a reason to play more as I’m sure I’ll be towards the bottom of the leaderboard anyway. I dont think you can stop people from adjusting things to their advantage so it’s more relying on honesty.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Gave this some thought and got an idea that may work.

i could setup a page for gotw in this page would basically be a “events calendar” where you create the game(event) members would need to visit your event and submit scores and since you created event you can set it to run for as long as you like or set timeframe. I think I could make this work fairly well and this way person creating event is in charge of that event and really would be easier for everyone? Or…

this site has groups (public or private)just like Facebook where members can create these groups themselves for gotw… or….

i could have a calendar in everyone’s profile and in your profile you could start a gotw or whatever challenge and people would post on your profile “wall” their scores.

Just some ideas…

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?