Cabinet Rebirth! From the ashes a new cabinet will be born

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I am at a point of do or die and I could really use some help.

As some of you know, I lost my job temporarily with the airlines due to COVID and low passenger numbers.  I ended up selling my house and moving to Rock Island to take military orders.  I really can’t complain because I know a lot of people have it a lot worse, and monetarily I am in really good shape, but I had what some call my dream job and my life was on a track that I could only dream of.  Fortunately when these orders are over, I think things may head back in that direction since air travel is picking back up.

Heres where my issue is, we had to do a lot of downsizing with the move and when you have 3 small kids, all their stuff becomes a lot more valuable compared to your toys, especially in the wife’s eyes… Between my cab getting damaged in the move, my need to upgrade to a 4K tv and not wanting to rebuild a cabinet because I have to get it perfectly fitting and lastly a  lack of space, my cabinet is no longer.  I spent about 15 minutes dismantling it and taking out some frustrations,

What I want/need to do in order to stay in this hobby, I need to build a new cab.  I feel if I take a year away from pinball, I won’t be back.  That makes me truly sad to say.  When I say I want to build a new cab, I’m not talking about a new virtual pinball cab, I’m talking about the coolest damn cab we have ever seen.  I have pinball machines, I don’t want another normal looking cabinets.  I want something out of this world, something terry red on steroids.  My old cab was 1970s era, I want 2030s era… addressable LEDs, RGB t moulding, lasers, smoke, sharks with lasers on them….

I want to design a cab like we have never seen before.  Maybe even a standup cab????? Maybe something like this but with screens in the control panel, a curved backglass above the playfield screen….smoke, fans, water spraying….. I need some wicked ideas!!!!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Tom.
      • This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Tom.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

No.  You need some coffee.  …or NyQuil.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by JR.
        Schreibi34
        Participant
          @schreibi34

A build in beer cooler should be number one on the list! One that says “Zuul” when you open the door!

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

I’m still waiting for see Nick’s updated build. His start was really impressive at least and you could tuck it away if I remember correctly. Be prepared to download FFS tables with your current idea.

TerryRed
              @terryred
              MemberContributorModerator

Something to consider… a pin-stubby hybrid.

With VR getting more popular with VPX and FP… many people cutting their old cabinets in half and creating pin-stubby out of them.

I think this could be done better by adding a vertical screen for arcade and FSS-like pinball views (and maybe another one on the control, panel)…while also working well for VR usage. You can still have basic dof or ssf in it… and it still allows for normal pinball usage for those who can’t play in vr.

This also wouldn’t stick out as far as a full size pincab and is more ideal for space.

Many stubby examples here…but you can go crazy with it:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=43839

Tom
              bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

I like the pin-stubby hybrid (I have one and use it with a computer monitor since I don’t have VR (yet)).

You could also go full @borgdog and get a curved screen. He has long maintained you’d be playing at much closer to the correct aspect ratio of a pinball machine that way. I’d just suggest getting a really good one so your view angles aren’t a big detriment.

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

@bord, that looks rather interesting.  I saw 1 pic of yours on VPF , do you have a link or other pics that show the full setup with tvs

@borgdog
                  , same question, would love to see your setup

Sixtoe
                  Participant
                    @kiella

This is really interesting, as I was thinking about doing this too so I’ll be keeping an eye on this and had ideas myself

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

yeah, I don’t got nothin.  i’ve mentioned a few times in a few threads that an ultra-wide (21:9) display would be the way to go if you could get one big enough.  Philips used to make a 55″ back in the day that would have been perfect(other than being soso for gaming and 1080p), not sure what’s out there now days.

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

Would it be possible and practicable to have a vertical screen for the playfield and have the dmd be the top portion of it.  I only know how to use full screen in vpx, popper would be easy to setup.  I know freezys can be anywhere but vpx isn’t adjustable on the screen right?.  If I needed to take up space on either side of the screen it could be done with a bezel or even addressable LEDs on the sides

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

I know bezels aren’t typically used in traditional cabs because you want the screen to fit the whole cab, but upright it would be more like a mame cab and bezels are used most of the time.  I was really trying to find a 4K tv in the 32-40 inch range but it doesn’t look like there are a lot of them out there.  If there was a way to make vpx run in a window at the bottom and freezys at the top and have a bezel.  It would appear to be 2 screens.  Then have a bg at the top.  Possible?

Sixtoe
                          Participant
                            @kiella

Yeah, you can definitely do that and have it vertical, but you have to set your machine up as portrait for the DMD to work properly so it means a little editing to get tables working (apart from wrd’s ones!). That’s what I intend to do when I make myself some sort of verticade this year :)

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

I would really have to do some measurements to make sure this is feasible but first thought I was thinking something like this…

I would love to hear from someone that has a vertical cabinet that has played both.  I guess I could hook up a tv and set it upright and see if I like it. Now I just have to figure out where the mister is gonna spray the water out.  If I have air I have to have water and smell! Full 4D experience

TerryRed
                                @terryred
                                MemberContributorModerator

Well the BIG thing is…

• do you want nudging
                                • do you want pinball legs
                                • do you want comfort from a lockdown bar

If you want those things…. than a stubby hybrid is more ideal.

I started with a pincab / arcade hybrid… and the best thing I ever did was get pinball legs and eventually a lockdown bar. Can’t imagine playing pinball without a lockdown bar now… or a panel that has similar rounded corners for comfort. Arcade type panels just are not great for comfort and pinball.

JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

This –

JR
                                  Participant
                                    @jfr1

Your drawings look cool!  I’ve never played a ‘verticade’ but I have a feeling I would get used to it.   Good luck with project – and everything else!

Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @armyaviation
                                      MemberContributor

On my old cab I had a plug on the underside for a mame control panel to plug in.  I hardly ever used it and I wonder if I will with this one…hmm.  I do like the small counter top mame cabs.   I am trying to see what a stubby cab looks like, is the tv mounted on the wall?

BrandonLaw
                                      Participant
                                        @brandonlaw

Your drawings look cool! I’ve never played a ‘verticade’ but I have a feeling I would get used to it. Good luck with project – and everything else!

I’ve always felt my sense of gravity would get disoriented with a lifelike pinball going up and down at a ‘flattened’ table’s-pace.  Like some type of annoying vertigo, but the idea is fantastic and I’ve seen it implemented nicely.  My MAME cab is built around the Vewlix-Style of cabs.  I used to play VPin on that and it was pretty good…basically desktop as the setup is landscape.  Whole system is <19inches deep and could be even less by a couple of inches because I’m a shotty woodworker/planner.

Lines up nicely with the short wall…

CAB

"Fuck this game. I love it."

zimbakin
                                        Participant
                                          @zimbakin

There’s a guy that made an awesome pedestal similar to this, however he uses a HP G2 VR headset for Virtual pinball / screen for arcade. Looks great.
                                          Unfortunately I couldn’t find the link, however I think it was on facebook pinballJunkies or similar.
                                          VR might get a bit much after a while.

I would go either with a slimline vertical arcade unit… I think your drawing looks pretty cool.
                                          With a larger vertical screen and a 1280 x 390 LCD at the top for a live marquee.

Alternatively, I built a portable console out of hardwood that is transportable and connects to any large TV (it has to be large).
                                          The hardwood keeps it grounded when everyone smashes it and it looks like a piece of furniture when not in use… crazy.

// Edit ——
                                          I’ll stop editing this now, I’m out of ideas ;)

Never take advice from me,
                                          you'll end up drunk.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by zimbakin.
                                          Tom
                                          Tom
                                          Participant
                                            @armyaviation
                                            MemberContributor

After careful deliberation I am going to rebuild my cabinet.  I am however going to make it more modern looking and look at addressable LEDs.  Hopefully there are better tutorials because 2 years ago it was very confusing but it has come a long way since.  The wife has given me a blank check so mission #1 4K tv.  I am tv illiterate other than going to Walmart…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?