Hardbody WIP, done

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

This table has a C shaped ramp that takes the ball from the shooter lane and sends it up onto the top PF.  I have one in the conversion @32assassin did but it’s not working.  The ball gets halfway up and falls back down.  It probably worked fine in vp9.  Any suggestions or i may just post the link for the wip if anyone wants to try and make it.

Tom
      Participant
        @armyaviation
        MemberContributor

Here is the ramp

Untitled

is this possible for the ball to go up this ramp and go upside down to insert it onto the top playfield????

The ball gets halfway up and falls back down.  If not possible what would a simple script be to add two triggers, one at bottom and one at top to make ball appear on upper pf when it hits the trigger on lower pf.  The whole process is not visible so it wouldn’t matter

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

I used a mesh to do just this on Black Knight. Works without any script trickery but took a little trial and error. You might be able to nab the mesh from there.

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

I may have just hit a big snag.  The back of the upper PF has a hoop that extends behind the back wall and the ball can travel back there.  I made the pf image so that the visible portion of the pf is within the boundaries of the vp table and the hoop hangs over the back.  I thought because you could see outside the boundaries of the table, the ball can also travel there.  Do I need to make the whole portion of the pf where the ball can be see to remain inside the boundaries of the vp table?

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

There is several tables that has this already. Iron Man is one that comes to mind. So does LOTR. I never looked at the code, but, I would expect one solution is to do a destroy ball and create ball.

Herweh
              Participant
                @herweh
                vipMemberContributor

@armyaviation, is it like it is in my Mousin Around?

If yes I would recommend to build the table without a ‚hang over‘. As I remember the ball is not able to roll outside the table‘s borders and for me it’s not the best solution here to destroy the ball via code.

Herweh
                Participant
                  @herweh
                  vipMemberContributor

And for the ramp question: Maybe have a look at my Atlantis and the loop ramp to the left for another solution: There it is done with an invisible ramp.

EDIT: Ah, I‘m getting old, Mousin Around contains a loop ramp too. Maybe worth a look into it, too.

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

getting super frustrated with this.  I don’t have exact dimensions of the playfields so when I built the table we took the images 1:1 ratio, and built it on the correct dimension table for Bally that year.  I think it is 1974 length.  So essentially to keep the portion of the pf that is behind the back wall in the playable area, I would have to lengthen the 1974 which is going to throw everything else off.  do I need to widen it then the same ratio to keep things on the pf image 1:1?

cyberpez
                    Participant
                      @cyberpez

For the over hang, you could also add 2 inches to the table size, and to your PF image.  Then resize/move to compensate.  I did that for King Kong….  Save the Balls!!!  Never Destroy!!!  ;-)

32assassin
                      Participant
                        @32assassin

adding kickers or a script based action will give you a very unrealistic ball movement

you can also turn the ramps into primitives and use them instead of the ramps (what fren was doing with his original Sopranos VPX table)

but you will more then likely still have a problem because

that ramp working is dependent on 3 things

1.  plunger mechanical strength
                        2. height of your upper PF
                        3. the hole you cut on your upper PF

the default VPX plunger should give you enough strength for the ball to reach the upper ramp . if you set the Friction of the ramps to a

low number such as 0.02

I copied and pasted the ramps from my  pinball champ 82  and polar explorer VPX tables

download the table and see if their is a significant difference between the upper PF height  from those tables and  Hard body upper PF height

if their is the upper ramp height (roof) might need to be adjusted.

My guess is that this is the problem

As the hole you cut in your upper PF needs to be big enough for the ball to pass through

but small enough to keep the ball from falling back down when it reaches the exit.

You also need to add hidden walls on the side of the ramps to keep the ball from falling to the sides.

I did not add them because you needed to adjust the position of the ramp to fit the hole on the upper PF

you need to make.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                        https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

ok I will try all suggestions for the ramp.  I actually made a quick ramp to see if it gets throught the upper pf and it did.  The issue now is I have to start from scratch building this table to different dimensions.  here we go….

Tom
                          Participant
                            @armyaviation
                            MemberContributor

Back to where I was before with a playable table now and the back wall started and Matt got the apron done. I am having one issue.  This is my first multi level build.  Some items like lights and ramps you can assign a wall that they are on and some like primitives and rubbers you have to raise them up.  the rubbers on the upper PF are set to collidable but none of them are making contact with the ball. Visually they look right, and all rubbers on main PF are working.  is that a glitch?

Untitled

For instance, the rubber at the top of the left ramp, ball goes right through it

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Rubbers. Believe they have a visual and a hit height.

Tom
                              Participant
                                @armyaviation
                                MemberContributor

That’s odd, I wonder when you would ever need that to be different.

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

It’s there because the physics are wonky if you set them to actual height.  on my gottlieb em’s visual height is 31 to fit the posts correctly, but the physics height I set for 27 so things work right.  a lot of people avoid that problem all together by just having rubbers be visual objects and use walls or primitives for the actual physics.  I prefer primitives if doing that as it has elasticity falloff property that walls do not have, and I feel rubbers are definitely the one area that is needed.

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

Are the stock flippers, rubbers, targets actually primitives that are just defaults in vpx?  I was told to avoid setting primitives to collidable to keep from stuttering.

Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @armyaviation
                                      MemberContributor

man, this table is tricky to play.  There is a weird mechanism on either side of the flipper that is connected to the magnasave button.  When you hit it, it rotates up and bends a piece of spring steel up to save the ball and return it to the flipper.

There is an outside flipper there now.   We cam make a prim and have it visible and rotate with the outside flipper.  For the wall, how would be the best way to do that, a prim wall that is collidable that rotates with the outside flipper?

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus

There is many ways of making primitives. If you can keep the polygon count down, then primitives becomes you friend. Sure. Don’t make primitives collidable if you don’t need to. They eat resources more than “stock” objects. But, it doesn’t mean that you need to shy away from them like the plague either. Don’t just overdue it, and be aware, and you might get away with it just fine. That is at least my experience in the area. ( which is limited, compared to the experts I should add )

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

I was thinking to just rotate the wall but it bends and changes shape so that wont work.  I made temp walls there and been playing it,  its a fun table and plays pretty smooth.

bord
                                            @bord
                                            MembervipContributorModerator

I ended up using 95% meshes to handle the physics in Lost World. Only VP native slingshots, bumpers, a spinner and stand up targets physically interact with the ball. Everything else is low-poly meshes sorted by material or hit event. None of them are visible since these are simplified versions to keep overhead low, but they are all derived from the meshes I already built so it just took a few more minutes to have physics done. First time trying it this way and it was the easiest VP build I’ve ever done.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?