Hello New Member Here

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DropTarget
    Participant
      @droptarget

Howdy!

My name is David I’m 57 and spent many hours/days/weeks at the arcades back in my hay day. Much to my joy, I discovered mame and pinball emulation years ago and have messed with it on the PC for some time, but always wanted to build a dedicated mame/pinball hybrid. I have an original Taito Space Invaders cocktail that needs some work and I know people have converted them, but I just don’t have the heart to do it, so a build it is with a pinball style cab. While I’m here I’d like to get some help on my idea and if anyone has any input as to what I could possibly do with what I have on hand.

I have an old computer I used to run mame and pinball on till the hard drive crashed its an HP Pavilion p6720f my thoughts are to strip it down and use the parts in a new cab build. I know its 8 years old but people were building them back then and it can still be upgraded to a point, ram, gpu, power supply. Here’s the specs. Any help on, if its worth doing, what it could do and what versions of vp would be appreciated. Right now I can boot it using a thumb drive running Linux and can access the old hard drive it just won’t boot into Windows 7 , but I do have my windows key so I might be able to reinstall Windows 7 onto the new HD since it would technically be on the same computer… er at least its guts anyway. :scratch:

Also I have an USB X-Arcade solo I could gut as well. The PCB board in it is the newer one same as in the Tank Stick it just doesn’t have the second joy or buttons like the Tank has.

Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

System: X64

Power Supply: Internal 250W (100-240V)

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 840T

Graphics: Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200

Memory: 6 GB (upgrade-able to 16 GB)

• Amount: 6 GB
    • Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec
    • Type: DDR3-1333 (can get much cheaper than DDR4 now days!)

"DropTarget v1.0 Copyright 1960"

DropTarget
    Participant
      @droptarget

Sorry for the extra code in there..copy and paste issue. Also forgot to mention the build would be along the lines of a mini or table top cab.

Thanks

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Hi, and welcome !

It you are serious about playing the modern games that the best authors in our community are able to make. Trust me. Buy a new computer.

DropTarget
        Participant
          @droptarget

Thanks Thalamus, I’m sure that will be the consensus. I was able to play some Future Pinball on it and most VPinMame running on VisualPinball 915 so I thought maybe..just maybe. Mame with very few exceptions didn’t have a bit of a problem, but I know pinball is more demanding. I do have a computer build I was looking at, but the cost of things now is outrageous!

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Welcome!

great story and we all love classic gaming and pinball that’s for sure :good:

i agree I new computer will be needed but it’s money well spent to be able to really enjoy vpx.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

DropTarget
            Participant
              @droptarget

Thanks for the welcome randr

I’m currently looking at a couple PC builds mostly for several Steam games that struggle to run on the laptop I’m using now. Guess it could also be a steam machine and save the cost of a new case. :good:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?