HELP!!!! I am clueless

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    elcoco79
    Participant
      @elcoco79

It seems like a great program, but why did you make it so incredibly hard to install it? I am a newbie concerning visual pinball, I do not understand most of the abbreviations, I actually have no clue how to make the program work or what I am doing wrong. You also managed to hide the install instructions, yesterday I found a page with help, today I can not find it anymore on your wiki or forum. I do not even have a clue where to post this topic in the forum, can’t find any help page there either.

I used the VPX installer 10.5, I also checked most of the settings that were mentioned on the help page (the one I can not find anymore). I am trying to play the “Congo” virtual pinball, when I load it i get following popup message: “Machine ‘congo_21 (Congo (2.1)) terminated before initialized, check the rom path or rom file.”

I am not interested in creating or adapting table, I just want to play but it’s impossible for me to figure out how…

can anyone help please?

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Well visual pinball is a very basic install but like the program Mame you need the roms for the game. Did you download the Congo rom and place it in the roms folder?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Genesis38
        Participant
          @genesis38

I can shoot a short video when I get home if it helps. Just let me know.

elcoco79
          Participant
            @elcoco79

I donwloaded the zip files I found on this website which had the vpx file, now I have downloaded the ROM files too (thank you!), but there are 4 zip files, how do I know which one I have to use? And where do I have to load the ROM file? –> I found a folder named “ROMS” in VPinmame, I placed one of the Congo Roms there. Game seems to be working , lights flickering, flippers move,  how do you change the view? I managed to get a full screen mode, are there different camera views?

Sorry for the stupid questions, its really hard to figure out what is what in the virtual pinball world

outhere
              @outhere
              MemberContributorvipModerator

It’s only hard to install because you don’t understand it
              This is a hobby, People have spent hundreds of hours making VP, all the games and all the side software..

So instead of saying (why did you make it so incredibly hard to install it) maybe say I’m having a hard time getting it running

VP is a general reference for visual pinball and VPX is visual pinball 10 the latest version of VP
              Open visual pinball 10 editor go to Preference, video adjust your screen resolution
              Also in the video setting area make sure Force exclusive fullscreen is not Checked
              What do you mean by frozen screen?
              Load the game in the editor at the top left click on script and Somewhere at the top of the script you will find this that tells you the name of the Rom
              Const cGameName = “Rom Name”

Visual Pinball 10 and first VPX tables
              https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=160

elcoco79
              Participant
                @elcoco79

Thanks for the help and quick replies!

I am still confused about the types of files. Do you always need a ROM to run the vpx file? Cause there are a lot of vpx files without matching ROM

I read something about EM tables, but I can not see them in the download section?

outhere
                  @outhere
                  MemberContributorvipModerator

Do you always need a ROM to run the vpx file? — No
                  Also check here for roms –> http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/category/15-pinmame-roms/
                  Roms are for solid state tables Which Started around 1978
                  EM do not require a rom there are lots of all them in the download section

Malinas
                  Participant
                    @malinas

Welcome to the world of VP Elcoco!

First of all this is the best forum / site that you could had found, everyone here is very helpful. And “almost” everything are already written in the forums. Sometimes it can be very hard for a beginner to actually understand i know since i began myself for almost 4 months ago, and i have builded, programmed, made media, learned the different programs, why they work and how they work. But usually posts in forums don´t actually describe in a “noobish” way, i understand now why. But i didn´t from the beginning. Its usually… “OH u must use Freezy 1.7, with VPM 3.2, use the beta, then activate plugins and bla bla bla bla” i didnt understand shit from the beginning ;)

But you will find tons and tons of beginners guides on Youtube, and tutorials online. Print them out and read everything before you go to bed!

This is going to take some time ;) the trick is to take it slow, and step by step.
                    My advice is to like start with 2-3 tables , then work your system up. Learn positioning, dmd, backglass, how VpinMAME works, and so on. When you get a grip of the basics it all comes after a while.

Patience is the main thing i would say building the perfect system, it is very time consuming! Cause in this world, there is nothing that is “plug n´play”.

But when you finally are done with your cab…. it is worth all the time!!!!! But after 5 minutes you will come up with something new you want to do.

Im´Malin Btw. And here to help you with what i can! I am no pro by far! But i learned the Newbie stuff, the hard way ;)

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    elcoco79
                    Participant
                      @elcoco79

Thx Malinas,

It seems like a very helpfull community indeed. As you said, for someone who is a noob in programming and virtual pinball its hard to understand the tutorials because I do not understand all the terms and abbreviations used there. I kind of miss a page for total noobs like me where all these terms are explained in the common language. That being said, everyone seems eager to help the stupid here, for which I am very gratefull ;-)

I managed to get two tables to work, Congo and South Park, the rest remains a bit of a mystery. I have vpx files without roms and vice versa. I also see mods but no original files to match.

But I am very happy with the two tables that do work. It’s amazing how the guys making the tables managed to capture the realism of the tables. I love it :-)

I did manage to get my PS joystick to work properly using “better DS3” which adds to the pinball experience!

Thanks for all the help so far!

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

Since you already have tables up and running. You must have understood a good deal. I advice you to bookmark this link and use it often until you can’t go wrong anymore. This is basically all that is needed for anyone that isn’t going to change anything, just play.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=160

Malinas
                        Participant
                          @malinas

Thx Malinas,

It seems like a very helpfull community indeed. As you said, for someone who is a noob in programming and virtual pinball its hard to understand the tutorials because I do not understand all the terms and abbreviations used there. I kind of miss a page for total noobs like me where all these terms are explained in the common language. That being said, everyone seems eager to help the stupid here, for which I am very gratefull ;-)

I managed to get two tables to work, Congo and South Park, the rest remains a bit of a mystery. I have vpx files without roms and vice versa. I also see mods but no original files to match.

But I am very happy with the two tables that do work. It’s amazing how the guys making the tables managed to capture the realism of the tables. I love it :-)

I did manage to get my PS joystick to work properly using “better DS3” which adds to the pinball experience!

Thanks for all the help so far!

No worries!

I understand you to 100%, it is very good ofc to have some computer skills with building a vp. (VP=Viritual Pinball)

And yeah, “makers” don´t always make it easy for noobs, but it is very important to be humble for everyone that contributes, and one day maybe contribute back some,  if not with “skill”, something else, kind words? feedback? whatever ;) cause we are so many people that doing this for free, with the “likes” on the upload post as the only salary. I am not doing tables and such advanced things, im not there yet. I do mostly design projects, and i don´t like “leechers” that never contribute, or never say a word. We that creates stuff, need some feedback now and then ;) and it is not always that we get that. But life goes on, but as i said remember. This is for free, be humble. Be patient. Don´t take this personally i don´t mean you, i mean this in general.

Here is a little noob guide when starting with VP, i hope it helps you 2! 

.vpx .vpt (Visual Pinball tables)

• Keep everything CLEAN in folders. Only have files there that you are supposed to use. In the long run if not taken this in mind, your cab is going to be a total mess with files you don´t know what they do.
                          • Always use the same name on your TABLE FILES for your media. And same thing there with MEDIA folder, keep it clean, cause if you like have 1 file that says “Terminator Williams” and “Terminator 2” and “Terminator judgementday” pinball for instance , PinupPopper, Pinball X or whatever you use for starting your tables will don´t understand what media that should be shown. Same comes for the .directb2s files, they must always be named the same so you get the correct media and .direct2bs. (.directb2s is the BACKGLASS files to make the picture that blinks on the backglass  to appear.
                          • If you have tables that are wrongfully rotated, use an .pov file that you rename exakt the same. POV files works so you can “to the point” set your table position exactly as you want it.
                          • You will experience that your DMD will change positions now and then when adding and configure tables. So remember, if you going to change the “built in DMD” in a table. Use the screenres.txt file in your /table/ folder or use the B2SSETUP.exe file. The easyest way is to go in to REGISTER EDITOR in windows, spank that windows key, write REGEDIT, and go in to HKEY_CURRENT_USER find the folder FREEWARE then go in to a table “that works good for you” with DMD and everything, and simply rename that folder to DEFAULT (When you are done with settings, and a table works good with positions..) in that way ALL new tables will use this configuration.
                          • If you have a table with no music and you would like to add music for yourself, simply type the code PlayMusic “elcocohits.mp3” after the 2 first lines of the table Script. The SCRIPT you find and can look at in the Visual Pinball program (to the left where the Play button is). Also make sure to have the elcocohits.mp3 file in /Pinball/Visual Pinball/Music folder. And voila! you get some nice tunes to the table!
                          • The most important file you have and that you should treat with great respect is your dmddevice.ini file. Here you do ALL the setups so your DMD position, turn on and off pinuppopper, if you have PIN2DMD you have the settings here. X changes positions Horizontally (Left and right) and Y positons verticaly (Up and down) so if your dmd is on x=1366 and you want to move it 10 pixels to the right… enter x=1376

I can give you much more noob tips, but need to know what you are intending of using? Future Pinball, Visual Pinball X, Fx3? What are your specs of your cab? Are you going or thinking of adding “surround sound”, SSF called here in the forum. And so on, give me all the details and i will add more tips ;)

Ps. Also make sure you post questions in the right section in forum, in that way it makes easier for all of us to help ;) This post is under “Introduction” wich means what it says ;) Here you can present yourself and the cab.

savard
                          Participant
                            @savard

From what you have described ,  am in the same boat as you. After reading all about all these different setups, it has actually discouraged me entirely… Then I scrolled down in the forums and say PinballY. I think this is probably the best option. I have spent hours reading and I am just done with all the figuring it out. after JUST Reading about PinballY, I am really amazed that more people don’t know about this program, and aren’t talking about it more. The person who made it completely took all the confusion out of it so we can get back to the root of what most people want….Play Pinball. It shouldn’t take day hours or weeks to set up a program. It should be enjoyable not frustrating. Just my 2 Cents

JR
                            Participant
                              @jfr1

I  believe that there are retail versions of virtual pinball available.  Perhaps more plug and play friendly.  And not too expensive if I recall.

But while finding out about and researching this amazing hobby, I found this community.  The frustration and confusion surrounding this particular way of playing pinball became a day by day …months long, bang my head on the wall …fascination.  Months?  Year and a half now.  The reward has been …the craziest discovery of my life!  The minds here sharing their work are doing better work than what people pay for.  If you’re a pinballer, this madness might be worth your time.

Malinas
                              Participant
                                @malinas

I  believe that there are retail versions of virtual pinball available.  Perhaps more plug and play friendly.  And not too expensive if I recall. But while finding out about and researching this amazing hobby, I found this community.  The frustration and confusion surrounding this particular way of playing pinball became a day by day …months long, bang my head on the wall …fascination.  Months?  Year and a half now.  The reward has been …the craziest discovery of my life!  The minds here sharing their work are doing better work than what people pay for.  If you’re a pinballer, this madness might be worth your time.

Yes there is, i was one of the fools that bought a retail version with pre-installed games. But wow, what a mess. This cabs come “non-configurable” and with software and games they just stole and take money for ;/ i didn´t know anything about that at the time but now i do. When i realized all this i ripped my cab to pieces and changed all the hardware and built the system from scratch and started to contribute back instead to the Community that gave me the tools to all this. The point and the enjoyment with this is that you built something yourself, and then you also get it exactly as you want it. Some companies and persons sell preinstalled, retail versions some sell them with the words”no maintenance” “no computer skills needed” etc. etc. in this way you can never upgrade your cab. And we all know that there is NO SUCH THING as “no maintenance” in the VP world. You want a cab that you can configure, renew, update games and so on. It is a lot of work and yeah “head banging” but worth the while in the long end if you really have the interest for it. When you go into a tech-store you really want plug-and-play stuff. BUT in this world, plug-and-play stuff is BORING.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?