HoloFan Display first trials

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vogliadicane
    Participant
      @vogliadicane

I bought a HoloFan Display lately for my vPin Cab and I wanted to show my very first steps.

I think this is something, that would be so cool for us, if we could have something like this as a full PC display to use with PuP Player.

Usually at the moment those are typical stand-alone devices for advertising at exhebitions or shopwindows, so not to be used as a real PC display, which is, what we would need. In short-You just upload some videos and they are played one after each other.

You can skip the next paragraph, if you just want tech facts. It is just my personal story behind it.

I had accidentially bought a very old model, which didn’t work with the current smart phone App, so I contacted the chinese manufacturer. He replied instantly, though it was already 9 pm in china and we had a nice chat, though I didn’t even buy from him directly – very relaxed people. Here I heard, that my device is completely outdated. Next day I had a looong WhatsApp chat with his support team and we came to the conclusion, that the device, I bought doesn’t work anymore, the way I want it, so I sent it back to my seller. And they contacted the German agent, who replied within a second. He told me, that there are many short-time companies out there, which offer those devices, but only for a year or so and stolen completely from one of the main manufacturers. The chinese company is one of those three worldwide  main manufacturers since a long time, he said. From him I bought this low budget device, I will continue to write about B-)

It is a very very first step for me. So it is anything but perfect, but I see great potential for it.

Here are some videos, where I am atm (please ignore the Helicopter Effect, which makes fast rotating things hard to film as you know):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaUtP_oYRk0&feature=youtu.be

And one with my start-up videos for PinballY

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alb15rCwgHxXkrATmBQt8qkj_kEKRw?e=21nMQV

Taken together I would really like to proceed here. I’ll contact the manufacturer again to propose a small display version for USB or whatever port… The low budget versions need bin videos, which you have to convert on your own to upload, whereas the professional models can use mp4, f4v and all those formats, so maybe the price difference is a question on codec licences, which wouldn’t matter in a real diaply system?

vogliadicane
      Participant
        @vogliadicane

now videos embedded:

vogliadicane
        Participant
          @vogliadicane

Had a longer chat with the chinese manufacturer. They do not plan to make a HDMI or USB model, but they are working on an API for WiFi, so maybe it could be controlled that way via PuP Player. :yes:

They’ll contact me again, when the API is finished (August).

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

So, I’m curious to how many pictures does this unit support ?  Limit on number of pictures/video and or storage maybe ? Any plans to upload images via the api that you know of ?

Understand that you probably don’t know the answer to all the questions.

The Loafer
            Participant
              @theloafer

Is this interesting? Feck ya!  Keep us in the loop.

As to the personal anecdote with manufacturers, I’m a sucker for the inside story so please keep giving us that type of info too!

vogliadicane
              Participant
                @vogliadicane

@Thalamus I don’t have defined info, I can only guess from what I could read between the lines and my experiences with the older model.

Todays non-budget devices have 8 GB RAM, so I assume something like this. My old model was obviously VERY old, because it had only (no shit) 8 MB RAM. But, it was aldeady controlable by an App, where you could upload images/videos and start the ones you wanted. So I think, this will be the minimum comfort with an API:
                – upload and delete images/videos
                – start/change/stop video play
                which wouldn’t be too shabby together with PuP player, I think.
                The person, I chatted with wrote, that the now don’t focus so much on hardware optimazations but want to make operation MUCH smarter, so I’m sure there is much more in the API.

How many videos/images?
                My video is 12 seconds and 3 MB as an mp4 so more than 2500 of such videos at 8 GB RAM. Not bad, I’d say. Lower end models btw use SD cards I think, which would be even better for us.

I think my former model was one of their first if not the very first one (model number something “1”). But I must say as bad as the RAM and control was (ok they once had an App, which works, but isn’t listed in the Playstore anymore, so not their fault), the more I liked the hardware performance. Pretty silent and because of the 4 blades super still image.

I am really exited, how this will proceed. :)

@theloafer
                haha, I knew YOU won’t skip the “story-behind” paragraph

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?