How many damn music tables are we gonna get

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    gtxjoe
    Participant
      @gtxjoe

My first VP table was a Minecraft table based on the VP9 music table template. The only thing I could figure out how to do in VP was replace images and music files.

My nex table was a VP9 version of Defender

Tom
      Participant
        @armyaviation
        MemberContributor

I guess the correct answer is to not discourage people but to encourage them to go beyond their comfort zone and try to produce a better table.

BrandonLaw
        Participant
          @brandonlaw

So I should scrap my sir-mix-a lot Christmas table?

"Fuck this game. I love it."

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

Absolutely

TerryRed
              @terryred
              MemberContributorModerator

I would say that I have more respect for those who put in “effort” into creating “something” for the community… than those who just sit back, download, play, and only contribute their bitching. (not talking about Tom, to clarify :) )

Yes, I too can sometimes not have the best first reaction to yet “another” re-skin of a VPX table. I mean there are a lot!

Sometimes they can be really well done, especially if they do a really good job at sound and music (with good code and control, etc). At times it will make me play an old table I would not have ever bothered with.

The reality is… VPX isn’t as accustomed to many “original” tables of high level quality… aka like Scotty Wic’s tables. Most VPX non-recreation tables tend to be just a simple reskin and nothing more.

Sometimes, a re-skin though can completely change a table for me. Siggi’s JP, LOTR, TWD are examples where I enjoy his re-skin much more than the original.

That also opens up why some people hate these tables. Dare I say some are “purists” and look at anything that is not “authentic” as evil… no matter how well done it is.

For some people that’s where it all starts. Yes… some people will spend one night on a reskin, and release way to many of them, while others can spend months on a vector redraw. You never know where it leads.

Myself… I started with adding DOFLinx mods to FP tables. At that time, there were NO FP tables on VPinball at all. I asked randr if it would be ok to add them, and being randr he most graciously said yes.

That eventually led to many table updates by me, and my first video tutorials.  This lead to me learning more about DOF in general. Then eventually lead to me learning how to add MX Leds to VPX tables… when no one else was doing do it anymore. Then that led to adding complete DOF to VPX tables. Over time, I kind of mastered DOF and created my DOF Creator Sheet and shared it with the community… while creating video tutorials for DOF.

Then of course there’s all that PuP stuff that came along that I got a wee bit involved in… and well we all know how that went. Lots of firsts for PuP-Pack… table updates for VPX and PuP… Popper updates and themes. Sometimes I see PuP creations that are ridiculously large (there’s no excuse why they can’t be converted down to an optimal size)…and sometimes not well made… but there too some people start simple and grow to be amazing.

Now I’ve come full circle. Back to creating… dare I say… friggin’ amazing FP table updates using my self-created PinEvent standard for DOF / MX / SSF / PUP / PUPDMD. I’m doing many things using new BAM features you’ve never seen on VPX (and can’t due to it’s limitations)… and the PUPDMD stuff I make is top notch. Nothing I make is quick and simple and it’s a shit load of work.

Sometimes I get frustrated as hell… spending weeks / months making some really cool stuff at a level not seen before…. just to have many in the community (including many well respected authors / veterans) completely ignore it because it’s “FP”. I don’t expect them to play it… but it’s not like I don’t have video demos of everything I make to comment on.

Yet someone can spend minimal time making a basic re-skin of a VPX table (I don’t mean a top notch one like Siggi,etc)… and the community is like “OMG, AMAZING!”

That said, I’d like to thank randr for never hesitating to accommodate anything I have created, including adding a PinEvent category in VPinball.

I take great pride every time I add something new to that download list…. and love being able to direct people to this great site.

shiva
              Participant
                @shiva

My point of view… I’ve been here the longest, and I am tired of playing the same damn tables for 20 years now. A reminder to all the people here that everyone starts out not knowing anything but could be the next JP Salas down the road.

I am very tired of seeing the same designs though. I love Star Trek (Bally) I’ve done versions for vp and fp, but I am getting sick of seeing that design in a lot of other tables.  If you want to do a theme, at least change the basic design in the editor. I suspect it’s not very hard to do in vpx, and if you want to put your name on it and share it with others, then you might as well go all the way.

Take various design ideas and sections from a couple games, and mix and match them to form your own design. Not tough, in fact my Jungle Girl fpx (not the other table by Tii BTW) was my homage to classic bally, and takes design elements from Centaur, Viking, Fathom, and EBD and then mixed them up in a blender to form a new design.  It looks, acts, and plays like a classic Bally because it has that pedigree built in.

If you need help, doesn’t hurt to ask here for vpx or at PN for FP. There’s lots here at this website, and there’s a lot of people in fp that have the wide range of skills that do high quality fp original tables that would be willing to give advice.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

Jungle Girl is a beautiful table.

Zoiks Tom, fun discussion you’ve started here.

shiva
                  Participant
                    @shiva

Jungle Girl is a beautiful table.

Zoiks Tom, fun discussion you’ve started here.

Thanks. People have asked, there is a version 1.1 that I have been pecking away at. Updates across the board, including changed graphics, with most notably a pretty big improvement on my dynamic flippers and custom physics so it will play even better now. The big improvement is a variable coil strength feature on the flippers, so you can set the table to “loft” the ball or even do tap passes. (Depending on your hardware and reflexes)

FP/BAM  physics are used for the base, but my setup is very different, so it’s really a third type of physics compared to fp or VP and plays very differently to fp or vpx tables now.  I think people would be very surprised with the game play if they haven’t played it before, been getting a lot of compliments on how good this table actually plays compared to vpx and how much more “fun” it is to play it than most vpx tables of this era. Women really seem to like playing it for some reason

At the moment, learning how to to add and modify some TTS (unfortunately) voices so there may be some vocal lines as well.  See what happens and when it’s improved enough to release a new version.

movieguru
                    Participant
                      @movieguru

Not sure if anyone cares about my point of view but I feel that anyone that spends the time to make and release a table deserves respect. Even of the table sucks, they tried to make a contribution to the community. If you don’t like it simply pass on and don’t download it. Someone might absolutely love the band and that may be the only band table that they download so to them they don’t even realize that there are 40 or 50 other mods of the same table. But I get the concept of what is being said. I Also would like to add this “To the dudes that Make those reskins of Band Tables, Please Mix it up and use different tables To reskin Instead of the same one over and over!”…

Just my 2 Cents..

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

That’s basically what I am saying.  Try something different.  We didn’t have good resources for bounty hunter so I was originally going to use that table to make a custom themed table because I bet most people don’t play that one at all.  Luckily we had some guys come through and get resources and we will have it soon.

And to the point who cares how many tables are released and if you don’t like it don’t download it….. if we keep that philosophy and have no checks and balances then the quality of this site diminishes.  We can’t have 20 crappy tables come out for every 1 good one, then the serious people tend to leave and this site would really go to hell.  But then again we do live in a time where everyone gets a trophy and everyone is “special”.  The only way you challenge yourself is by someone telling you that you suck.  I used to use Microsoft Paint 3D to do graphics. @mlager8 told me “I sucked” so I went out and learned Inkscape.  Thanks Matt for being an asshole and telling me I sucked!  Love you bro!! :heart:

TNT2
                        Participant
                          @tnt2

Ha. When I first saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be a criticism of Stern Pinball’s choice of producing so many band tables.

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Ha. When I first saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be a criticism of Stern Pinball’s choice of producing so many band tables

Steve Ritchie during a Q&A on the recent virtual Pinexpo commented on the lack of BKSoR sales and lamented how sales are driven by ‘franchises’ now.  Wow, checking out Stern’s site – BK is the only non-franchise table.  And oh look – – a new Zeppelin table!!  Best rock band ever but….really??

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Yeah, well, BKSoR would need better code in order to become a top tier machine. Especially LE version. My opinion of course.

Tom
                              Participant
                                @armyaviation
                                MemberContributor

I was at a local pizza shop the other day and saw a stern wrestlemania pinball there.  First impression I thought it looked really cheap.  Second impression, I wasn’t that excited to play it and spend a quarter on it, that has never happened to me before.  It’s a shame the amount of money these new games are and some of them don’t look very exciting to play

JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

Had a similar experience not long ago.  Local pub had a Munsters and after one game went back to the World Cup Soccer next to it.

Schreibi34
                                  Participant
                                    @schreibi34

Had the chance to play GOTG at a local movie theatre. Not too shabby. Really enjoyed it!

IMG-20201024-WA0007

shiva
                                    Participant
                                      @shiva

Nothing but stern games up here now. Really miss the wpc games. Not a huge fan of stern in general, seem very ‘by the numbers” now with a couple exceptions. Speaking of which, Led Zep images just came out today, and I had a quick look at them. Appears there’s nothing fantastic  in there, in fact it looks like a basic boring stock stern design really without all the toys.  LZ fans will buy it, I won’t be interested.

Actually, about BK, when BK3 came out, and I saw the pro version, the first thing I said was “where the hell is the multi-level?”. I think that’s what a lot of people said as well and didn’t want to spend the money for a LE or premium. It’s just not BK without that duo level, and maybe in retrospect they should have called it something else other than Black Knight and maybe would have done a bit better in sales.

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus
                                        ContributorMemberModerator

I’m a rules guy and I’m a firm believer in that if you don’t know the rules for a game, then you won’t be able to enjoy them. Even older WPC machines are crap, if you just stand there flipping and hoping that something is going to happen. The reason why this doesn’t happen as much though is that in the 90’s and earlier, it was more obvious and easy to grasp what was going to happen next. Of course, there exists good and bad games from the modern era too. Ghostbusters pr. example was a dud, until the update which we are NOT able to play was released many years later of its first release.

My opinion of course.

rivaldo85
                                        Participant
                                          @rivaldo85

got a cabinet last year…always wanted one..spent 3 months (literally) perfecting my front end with all dmd/backglass/table videos, sounds wheels etc…

i have been teaching myself to use photoshop, vpx etc…and i can share this opinion..

vpx is great…the graphics are great.  future is ok..future pinball has some better games (star wars/halloween/bttf/aliens etc..), but the biggest knock on future is the flippers & the ball (even my kids at 10 years noticed) don’t look right.  Aside from r Terry & speak170..those tables are mint

IN MY OPINION….WHAT MAKES A TABLE IS THE GRAPHICS/3D IMAGES/TABLE SOUNDS & LIGHTS……

THE “NEW THEME” IS GREAT…BUT WITHOUT THOSE ITEMS, THE TABLE LOSES IT’S LUSTER.  i have 200 tables…that’s it..its’about quality not quanitiy.

these wesbite is great…lot of hard work goes into these.

i’m working on  COBRA KAI/KARATE KID table…taking longer than expected, but getting there….i will post when i’m done

dondi
                                          Participant
                                            @dondi

Wow… shiva!! Glad to see you are still around. Haven’t noticed if you’ve been active recently (until just now) since waaaaaaay back when in the days of shiva’s site and irpinball, etc. Eons ago.

As for this ‘music table template’ that is now permeating VPX, it was my intention on only having ONE of these tables on my cab of my favorite Canadian Trio (I don’t mean to bash the ‘author(s)’ whatsover). Alas, I was quite disappointed… maybe I am way off-base with this table, but by VPX 10.6 standards (I believe this table has only been VPX-compatible within the past year), the table sounds “flat”. Meaning, no SSF, even though sounds are routed through TABLE in the audio options, there is absolutely no thump in the bumpers, no feedback except for actual DOF. I don’t know, again, maybe I don’t have enough knowledge in dialing this in on my cab, but it’s a complete let-down experience in these days of cabs with toys and SSF, etc. I would think that the template itself would have gotten a makeover for ready-for-VPX-prime-time play. Again, maybe it’s just my setup or use-case, but my single music template table has let me down.

I also echo the sentiments in this thread regarding the inundation of this same table being pumped-out over-and-over. And, yes, you are free to choose whether or not it makes it onto your cab.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?