HULK Mad! going to rehab

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

I finally managed to pick up a pin that I’ve been keeping my eye out for quite some time, Incredible Hulk.  It is a little bit of a project, with the backbox pretty much needing a redo due to it being half left out in the sun/rain or something.  Fortunately it came with a spare backbox that someone had repurposed into something and painted all black and had a pole mount inside.

So first part of the project while I’m also stipping down the playfield to clean (it is very dirty), touch up some keylines, and clearcoat, I’m working on redoing the spare backbox.  So that brings up the first of the questions.  On the photo below the left side is a cleaned up scan of the side of the backbox that was in decent shape. the right side is what I think I may do on painting the spare head, basically getting rid of the green border and extending black and purple to the edge.  What do you all think?

HulkOptions

The second question is does anyone know a simple way to have photoshop trace the edges just giving me outlines so I can make stencils out of this?  I don’t have a stencil cutter so was just going to print out  and use as a guide to cut the frisket for masking.

Attachments:
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

I am no art expert thats for sure but i like the right original look better

Congrats on the new pin and new project!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

Wait, what? The left is the original.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Sorry yes left! Sorry I’m tired left!

for IOS and Android

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

No real opinions on what you should choose. But, selecting with photoshop with this few colors there are several tools. Even the old magic wand might be able to do a good enough job. Often however, if I use that it expand the selection by 1 px. It depends a bit on the resolution etc.

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

For reference the main cabinet does also have the green border, but it’s not as prominent as on the backbox.  I’m also contemplating powder coating the legs and side rails and lockdown bar black (this just takes money, I think it would look very sharp).  I’m 99% sure I’m making new wood rails on the playfield and they will be black, stock ones were cheap vinyl over soft wood so they are in bad shape.  Pop bumper skirts will be black as well as the new purple don’t match the playfield colors very well.  Maybe black rubber as well, but I already have the white so those will go on for now.  (I see @randr mod aversion going off ;)

Mark70
                Participant
                  @mark70

At the moment I would vote for the original version. I think it would be an easier decision when you could show a pic with the whole backbox (side) in addition.

LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

I’m torn on the border thing. On the one hand, it is authentic (and was cheaper during manufacture), on the other, bleeding the art off properly tends to look better and less like corners were cut.

Regarding the rubbers, I know Titan Pinball makes colorless translucent silicon bands in just about all the sizes, and those look really nice if black or white are just too stark, especially with older playfields that have a certain level of “pantina”, versus outright operator neglect.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

here is a pic from IPDB of the head side with the front piece on which is all the purple color

Mark70
                      Participant
                        @mark70

Then I would choose the extented version (for the backbox).
                        Although I actually like original ones :)

BorgDog
                        Participant
                          @borgdog
                          MemberContributorvip

That’s the way I’m leaning, base green will get painted today so I have until at least tomorrow to make up my mind.  My main cabinet is in nice shape, not perfect, but certainly not bad enough that I’m going to redo it. I’ll print out stencils at work tomorrow where I can print 11″x17″ so just have to tape two together, then trace onto the frisket.  purple comes next, black is last.

BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

if I decide to go back to original it would be easy enough to mask the border and spray some green.

Mark70
                            Participant
                              @mark70

if I decide to go back to original it would be easy enough to mask the border and spray some green.

It is good to have this option, just for the case.
                              By the way, I don’t find the green edge disturbing on the main cabinet.

vogliadicane
                              Participant
                                @vogliadicane

I definitely tend to the original version. Btw, whatch out, you forgot to extend the black at the fist in your extended version B-)

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

I definitely tend to the original version. Btw, whatch out, you forgot to extend the black at the fist in your extended version B-)

yeah, I missed some purple too, already fixed on my copy.

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Yeah there is a bit of black missing on his hand  :wacko:

inthink the mod would be fine looking but something about the border just looks more correct to me and I don’t even know why

********************************************************
                                    for IOS and Android

GeorgeH
                                    Participant
                                      @georgeh

You can try the old world way of enlarging the image by using one of the methods at the link below.  The methods shouldn’t be too difficult because the image does not have much detail.  I have used the projector method and it is not that difficult.  A school or college might let you use an opaque projector.

https://emptyeasel.com/2017/12/11/how-to-scale-up-a-drawing/

George

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

voted.. did’nt see the poll before

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

hmm, looks like stock is winning the poll.. good thing I can ignore that :)

because I’m an idiot, and was gone for the holiday weekend, I’m still working on the base green, put the last coat on a little heavy on one side and got a run I didn’t notice until later, so I need to fix that.  I did get a pattern made up for the purple and black and will hopefully get to those later this week although it’s rainy and cool here so not the best for painting.  shop has heat but I don’t leave it on all the time.

considering black powder coating the legs, side rails, and lockbar as well.  I think it would look pretty awesome with the color scheme, all it takes is money and finding someone close to me that does it.

got all my parts in to get it all back together, rubbers, bulbs, brain, new drop targets, bumper skirts, etc.  of course still need to finish taking it apart, clean it, touch up keylines, level inserts and clear it. oh, and make a new light board for the backbox since the one it came with had gotten exposed to moisture at some point and is swelled and warped.  whew, one thing at a time, finish painting before making sawdust sounds like a good plan.

not mine, but here is what the cabinet looks like.. imagine more black  :good:

hulk

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

Making progress

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?