This topic contains 83 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Mark70 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
     BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Pulled the playfield and power/bottom board from the cabinet to work on in the shop and moved the rest of the cabinet into the pinball/laundry room, where I finally united the backglass with the backbox and cabinet.

Testing the backbox GI wiring with a jumper clipped little power supply.:

IMG_20190105_153526481

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Very nice, are the bulbs leds? Or you sticking with the authentic bulbs?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

all warm white leds in the backbox and probably the inserts.  the visible playfield gi will probably end up as authentic bulbs but I will try led there too.  no freaking rainbow puke though, I’ve seen a hulk with a bunch of purple and green leds, yuck.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

On my fire I added authentic leds from coin taker and they look just like old bulbs but without the heat. Look those up. I don’t think retro style is the same can’t find the ones I got for some reason on their site!?

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

I can’t keep up with the pace @scottacus is going at on his darling machine, but I did get the topside of Hulk stripped of parts and did the initial grime cleaning.  much more cleaning with the magic eraser and alcohol to do, then keyline touchup, insert leveling and then clearcoat.  I need to get busy as another project is on the way.

naked Hulk:

IMG_20190121_172235

a teaser for the next project:

IMG_20190113_160650

Scottacus 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

Nice playfield, how are the inserts?

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Nice update and nice teaser ;)

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Nice playfield, how are the inserts?

The new one?  still in transit, should find out thursday.

Hulk has pretty cupped inserts, about like pinball pool had, they level out nicely and you don’t notice it afterwards.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

I cannot figure out what table it is for the record

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

I’m pretty sure someone will recognize it, @thalamus for sure.  I did do the vpx version of it having never seen or played a real one.

Thalamus 
    ContributorMemberModerator

Hell yes. Did you really buy one ???!! Now. I’m really envious.

xenonph 
    Participant
    MemberContributor

And you did a damn good job on it, for never seeing or playing a physical Alien Star table before!!

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/alien-star-gottlieb-1984/

I love checking out and following these types of topics showing your progress with a project!!

Carry on.

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Hell yes. Did you really buy one ???!! Now. I’m really envious.

sort of…. they are hard to find.  I bought a fully populated playfield with all the mechs and wiring on the back. I have a backglass coming as well from somewhere else.  I have feelers out to find a system80A doner machine, if I can’t find one I will re-wire and reprogram it all and make it homebrew style, and make a new cabinet for it. I’ve already pulled all the sounds from the rom file and have ideas on “extras” to add to it.  I do know of a couple of them a few hours from me that I may be able to go visit and scan the cabinet to have stencils made.  it is very much a project.

Thalamus 
    ContributorMemberModerator

@xenonph : Still missing those improved plastics … but, well – have a feeling we might get a surprise some time in the future. :whistle:

@borgdog : Promise you’ll keep us updated on that project too. I really enjoy seeing your HULK and Scott’ restoration projects.

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Haven’t had a Hulk update in a while, been busy but I did get touch-up done, inserts leveled, clearcoated, blah blah blah.  It’s not perfect but I’m calling it good enough.

In anticipation of putting it all back together in the near future I wanted easy access to both sides so spent today in the shop with scraps of wood and screws and bolts and glue and some bar stool swivels I bought for the occasion and hereby present the Hulk-o-matic™

IMG_20190211_171735

IMG_20190211_171654

That table it is on I topped many years ago with 2 layers of scrap 5/8″ OSB and a 1/4 plywood to give it a smooth surface.  the whole thing is now very heavy and sturdy and has the benefit that I don’t mind sticking holes or screws into it since it’s all scrap.  I mention this as the two ends of the Hulk-o-matic™ are screwed to the table top so there is no chance of them moving.

Next up is making new rails to replace the ugly cheap wood with cheesy wood grain vinyl wrap, then put stuff back together cleaning and refurbing mechs as I go.  All the topside metal bits have been through the walnut shell shaker thingy so are nice and shiny again.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

I’d say the perfect bench!

thanks for the update I was wondering how that hulk was going.

Scottacus 
    Participant
    MembervipContributor

Looks great!  Your Hulk-o-matic looks very sturdy and stable.  I’ve not worked on a SS table yet, what are the two brown wiring blocks at the arch end bottom side of the table for?

Tell us more about the walnut shell shaker thingy that makes parts shiny!

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

i assume a good ole rock tumbler :good: or can be used to polish your balls too

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Looks great! Your Hulk-o-matic looks very sturdy and stable. I’ve not worked on a SS table yet, what are the two brown wiring blocks at the arch end bottom side of the table for?

Those two wiring blocks are a gottlieb weirdness. They are actually diodes, instead of having them on individual mechs and such they put them in clusters like that, there is one in the bottom of the cabinet too.

it’s just a cheap vibrator/tumbler from harbor freight, with their walnut shell media, works pretty good for cleaning stuff up, I leave it on overnight.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11479.jpg

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

Making good use of the Hulk-o-matic™ this morning.  got my new black oak rails installed and starting putting everything back together.

IMG_20190214_114339

4th day in a row of no work due to snow.  Seattle area normally gets like 5″ total for a year, our house got around 2 feet this past weekend. they are just not equipped to deal with it, but it is warming up.  school should be back in session tomorrow, so back to work for 1 day just in time to go on break for a week  :yahoo:

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2FB Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account