I can't get Visual Pinball or PinMame to work at all.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dunderbeck
    Participant
      @dunderbeck

I get them loaded on the PC, but none of the tables work with the programs. I don’t think I can try to make it work anymore. My knowledge of PCs is simple. I just want to press an install button, but I don’t know why nothing is working, and the tutorials don’t help at all. I don’t know how anyone gets any of these tables to work. I don’t know what to do. I got an Arcade X controller just to play virtual pinball, and it was all a big waste of money, because none of the tables work. Even if I get a visual, rarely, they won’t play. I don’t know what to do. I need this to be simpler. Open source doesn’t mean anything if ordinary people can’t get it to work. I’m not hacking into the pentagon, I’m trying to play a simple video game. It shouldn’t be this hard.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

It is not a simple video game. Go and by some of the commercial products, they have easy installers and you can complain in the forums over there for support.

VP and Pinmame is simple if you use the one in all installer. It is no simple software, it emulates real pinball machines and everything needs to be done correctly in order to get it to work as expected. Sounds like this is not something for you if you can’t follow directions given. There is a huge amount of guides out there that explains it into the smallest of details. Terry’s youtube videos are good examples of such.

Cadelle32
        Participant
          @cadelle21

I agree with Thalamus, this is not the AOL of pinball, Virtual Pinball requires a basic understanding of computing, ie. directory structure, file compression, what devices are installed in your computer and how to control them.  If your knowledge of computing is going on Facebook and posting a twenty minute rant about how your cat refuses to acknowledge your skills in culinary photography, then the commercial stuff on steam might be the better way to go

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

Well shit, I didn’t know it was this hard, I quit too!

Badazzwi
            Participant
              @badazzwi

It’s a shame but instant gratification is all people want nowadays. If that’s what your looking for try Pinball FX3 or the pinball arcade but even that may be out of your reach as you will have to configure them with your controller .

If you want help you need to ask nicely. Don’t just come here bitching about vp. This isn’t a complaint box.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

Dec. 15th 2017 – downloaded first pieces of software.

Jan. 31st 2018 – got first game running.

March 15th 2018 – FINALLY figured out two screens/backglass.

The video guide I went by really postponed my success.  It does look like Terry’s new series of vids are much better.  Wish they’d been around when I started.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI8wD4Pwvfg

It took me hours of reading on various forums to get up and running and as I’ve mentioned before, I feel like I’m in the middle of a master level college course.  It’s a real commitment but the end results have been mind blowing.  Still learning new things daily.   The set-up and maintenance can take up more time than the playing of games.  The guys on this forum are the best and are like professors working for free.  There are plug and play options out there but nowhere near as satisfying.  Good luck, hope you stick with it.

rgarriott
                Participant
                  @rgarriott

Agreed @JR. Im 10 months in, almost daily reading or doing something and I still have yet to figure out how to get the color dmd patch files to work.  But ya know what im still plugging away at it.

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

color dmd patches were my henchmen too, put a folder in your c drive labeled bspatch, put the application in it.  download the stuff in the color file.  put them in the folder with bspatch along with the proper rom bin.  click on the command bar at top and type cmd then enter, then type whats in the readme file ie…bspatch, mtl170h mtl170hc mtl170hc diff_by_………the readme file says what to type and make sure you have those items in the bspatch folder.  hit enter and it makes a new mtl170hc bin.  zip that into MTL_170hc.  and put the color pallett file in the altcolor/ mtl_170hc folder in vpinmame.  test it and change the rom in the table.

see @dunderbeck, its as easy as that, ask a question, be humble, and shit happens.  Trust me I got frustrated too and got under peoples skin… :rose:  .. and now I am giving advice and making tables.   2 years ago I didn’t know the difference between ram and roms, I couldn’t figure out if I wanted VP8, 9 or X.  Good news is everyone gets a do-over and you too can be playing VPX in no time.

So start over, erase VPX, and install the all in one 10.6 installer.  make sure you have 64 bit win 10, if you can, atleast 8 gig ram, and larger that a 250gb Hard drive, cause when you start getting it right you will be downloading shit like crazy.  Do that and check back in with us.   :good:

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    flstclasic
                    Participant
                      @flstclasic

I have not yet tried the color rom patches. I am getting close to trying them out though. I don’t mind at all going through the process that @Tom described(sounds interesting). I am wondering why it is though, that the colored rom isn’t available for download already patched and ready to go? I’m guessing their is a reason this hasn’t been done. Thanks everyone.

LynnInDenver
                      Participant
                        @lynnindenver

They’re not available “ready to go” for one simple reason: Copyrights. If it were provided as something other than a patch, it would be a violatation of copyright law to be doing so, and even if it could be considered “fair use” (which is doubtful), no one has the resources to fight against the IP holder if they send the lawyers.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

The best mod I ever did after dof and ssf was color roms and freezys dmd.  Looks amazing

rgarriott
                          Participant
                            @rgarriott

They’re not available “ready to go” for one simple reason: Copyrights. If it were provided as something other than a patch, it would be a violatation of copyright law to be doing so, and even if it could be considered “fair use” (which is doubtful), no one has the resources to fight against the IP holder if they send the lawyers.

Im not really understanding that logic of they aren’t distributed because of it would be considered copyright infringement? Its already being distributed without permission so whats the difference? I dont care either way, ill keep plugging away so i can learn how to do it but to me it seems to be the same violation with or without color, if that’s the reason for it.

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

The game code is distributed by the IP holder at sternpinball.com. It’s all on you if you are going to patch it and use it without owning the actual table. No reason for anyone here to stick their neck out just because you want to skip a couple of easy steps.

Tom
                              Participant
                                @armyaviation
                                MemberContributor

I actually had the same thought at first but since none of them were out there for download I assumed it had to be something legal

flstclasic
                                Participant
                                  @flstclasic

Thanks for the answer, that clears it up for me.

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

Guess the OP just quit huh

JR
                                    Participant
                                      @jfr1

Ha.  Yeah, I think we lost one there.  Your color dmd explanation was pretty funny.  Maybe they’ll be back.

dunderbeck
                                      Participant
                                        @dunderbeck

Sorry I haven’t been back in a few days. I suffer from a mental disability, and it’s hard to function or talk to people sometimes. This week was bad. I haven’t read all the messages yet. I will follow the links and suggestions, and get back to you. I’m sorry if I seemed surly I was just frustrated, I didn’t want to be insulting. I also tried normal Mame, and that was harder, if you have a simplified suggestion for that. Is it better to use windows or Linux for these programs? I’ll look over these suggestions, and I’ll try them out. It may take a week or two, or more. I got other things I gotta do. I really wanted this to help relax. I like pinball, and would like to use other emulators for games. I’ll study what everyone said. Is there a service that would help me on the phone to program. Is it best to get one of those emulator computers on esty and ebay?

Thanks

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

You’re back!  I commend you for tackling your challenges.  I included a link above to Terry Red’s tutorial vids.  I haven’t watched it all but it looks much better than the one’s I used to get started.  You’ll want a Window’s machine.  I also mentioned that it took me a very long time before I got a table running, but you’ve done something I didn’t do until even later – – find this group!  With Terry’s vid and this forum, I would have gotten up and running a lot quicker.  But I enjoyed the learning process as frustrating as it was.  Relaxing?  Hm, we all find different things relaxing.  Playing games that I hadn’t played in decades is a fun joy that is very unique.  Good luck and I hope you find this as rewarding as I have.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Tom
                                          Participant
                                            @armyaviation
                                            MemberContributor

Unfortunately this isn’t the hobby that you will find someone to hold your hand through the process.  It takes time, patience and the determination to figure out as much as you can, and then come ask questions if you have any after that.

the nice thing is that there are a bunch of people willing to help, if you put in a fair amount of work first.  Keep us updated

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?