I Need some Advice

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    HouseLive
    Participant
      @houselive

Hello everyone.

I found myself getting back into this hobby. I was really into it about 3 years ago with FP. But with the release of PinUp Player I found a new addiction and I’m concentrating on VPX and FX3. I dont need any help with setup or anything I have my favourites working just fine. What I do need is a little advice with hardware, I’ll be starting my Cab build shortly.

Ok this is what I have at my disposal:

PC1: Intel i7 4790k | 24gig RAM | GTX970 4gig

PC2: AMD FX8370  | 32gig RAM | R9 390 8gig

Looking for advice on which one to use for my dedicated pincab. I know there is way better stuff fairly cheap right now but most of my budget will be taken up buy the build and new screens. The other PC will become my daily driver. I can also mix and match these combos up if it will benefit the cab.

Looking to play on a 40″ or so with with a portrait backglass.

Is any of this capable of 4k with dual or maybe triple TVs? (I figure I’m dreaming here) I know ill have to limit the whistles and bells mostly. or maybe 2k???? or should i just stick with the 1920×1080 I have now?

Any advice or insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

I’m strictly a Intel/Nvidia guy so i have no idea and don’t care about alt. 2. Your machine should be great and the 970 should just about tackle 4k. I would consider a 1060 or better to be honest. I have a 1080 in my cab with 4k. I run the cab mostly in windowed mode and it has no problems with it. Force full screen is known to perform a bit better.. You have to check the output on the card you want to buy. All depends on how many monitors you want to attach. Make sure that your TV is fast enough for games. Not all are great to play on.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        HouseLive
        Participant
          @houselive

@thalamus Thanks for the help. I may consider a new card down the road.

I was thinking 60hz TV, isnt that the norm now? 60hz should be good for the most part, correct? Or is the norm higher now?

Thalamus
            @thalamus

Yes. That’s the norm. And, I would say that newer TV’s are better to play on than they where just a few years back. But, it is still something of a gamble if you can’t test it first. If you plan to play locally, test it before buying is my advice. And, yes, sure. Upgrade GPU down the road is not a bad ide.

Badazzwi
            Participant
              @badazzwi

I run a 970 in a i5 3570. 3 screen setup. LG UK 6300 43 inch TV in 4k for my playfield.

I run VPX and FX3 in my cab. All games run and look great in 4k with the right settings.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

HouseLive
              Participant
                @houselive

@badazzwi Thanks for the info as well. It decided. I did some work this weekend and I’ll be using the Intel/Nvidia setup for the pincab. Brought her back to life after sitting for almost a year. New power supply and SSD. Now time to reinstall everything again. ? Lol. Should be buying a couple new tvs in a month or so. But I have a basic setup ATM. IMG_20190729_064651

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

If you’d like a recommendation? Go for a “PostDMD” configuration. Should still be doable even with two portrait monitors, you just leave a roughly 16×9 section under the backglass area instead of the typical 4×1 section.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                  Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                  Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

HouseLive
                  Participant
                    @houselive

Thanks @LynninDenver, Ill be using DMDext and Pinup Player/Popper when its all said and done. Ill more than likely be using 3 screens when the build comes. this is just temporary to work on the software while i wait. Not sure how 2 40″ screen would look. haven’t seen much on that. lol

rgarriott
                    Participant
                      @rgarriott

5694CE8C-BF14-4E0A-A1DE-7D3D184016AC488D1026-1E98-40B1-B770-24F8146BF342

I bought the UK6300 LG 4K tv for my playfield. It was the best screen for dark angle  viewing and it has almost zero screen lag in game mode. And the great thing, it was only $360 at best buy.

The bezel around the outside is right about 1/2”, so its not the amallest out there. The only complaint i really have, which really isnt a big deal is the tv back casing.  The sides and top are rounded and the bottom is squared. So it took some thought when i went to mount it in the cab.

All in all i would recommend this tv for quality and price.

HouseLive
                      Participant
                        @houselive

Thanks Ill look into that one. Ill see what the prices are like here in canada. @rgarriott

Kabs
                        Participant
                          @kabs

I would like to know why everyone recommends tv’s and not monitors? surely monitors are the better option with less input lag and no issues with powering on.

LynnInDenver
                          Participant
                            @lynnindenver

TVs tend to come in larger sizes for smaller prices – monitors in the size class for a full size cab tend to come with “prosumer” and “professional” pricing attached, because they’re either being sold to people who have very, very specific needs (color performance, no lag, limited connections, no smarts to interfere with using it on a computer, many times not a tuner), or to businesses with, again, very specific needs, and adding on the need for a much longer duty cycle, like days instead of hours.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                            Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                            Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Who says that ?? I’ve never recommended at TV instead of a monitor. It is more of a question about how much money you are willing to invest.

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

Thanks @LynninDenver, Ill be using DMDext and Pinup Player/Popper when its all said and done. Ill more than likely be using 3 screens when the build comes. this is just temporary to work on the software while i wait. Not sure how 2 40″ screen would look. haven’t seen much on that. lol

2 – 40″ works great, basically what I have (sig should have link).  instead of having the backglass extend into the cab like I did you could have it come out the top for a topper.  would not work if you want a more modern backbox with speaker panel and such I dont’ think.

HouseLive
                                Participant
                                  @houselive

2 – 40″ works great, basically what I have (sig should have link).  instead of having the backglass extend into the cab like I did you could have it come out the top for a topper.  would not work if you want a more modern backbox with speaker panel and such I dont’ think.

This was exactly what i was thinking. Topper up out the top. Then i could build a nice topper bezel to hide it. But I stumped on how to do the speakers. Im still a bit away from that but it keeps running through my brain. lol

BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

Don’t know if I ever showed it in my build thread but I have a set of speakers in the backbox behind the TV. I was thinking if they weren’t loud enough or sounded muffled I would put some holes or a grill out the back and have the sound bounce off the wall behind, but it actually hasn’t been an issue for me having it totally enclosed (back does come off so it’s not sealed air tight or anything).

HouseLive
                                    Participant
                                      @houselive

Don’t know if I ever showed it in my build thread but I have a set of speakers in the backbox behind the TV. I was thinking if they weren’t loud enough or sounded muffled I would put some holes or a grill out the back and have the sound bounce off the wall behind, but it actually hasn’t been an issue for me having it totally enclosed (back does come off so it’s not sealed air tight or anything).

Thats amazing work man. i just read threw that hole thread.

I may try and just put them behind or facing out the back. Im just afraid of losing that stereo left/right feel. But i wont know till i try it.

I think im gonna go with 2 40s instead of the traditional 3 screen build. Im kinda setting that all up now so i shouldn’t have to reconfigure when i swap out for the tvs.

Cimmerian
                                      Participant
                                        @cimmerian

Here’s my two cents regarding playfield screen.

My first playfield was a very cheap branded TV.  I was always very conscious about getting a new screen with higher resolution and speed.  I finally found a Dell monitor and I must say that it might not have been an all around better move.  Something about the TV was brighter and perhaps because it was slower it seemed to actually give game play a better feel of realistic speed (blur?).  I still use the monitor of course but I am going to make a second machine and use the TV. With the machines side by side I will probably be better able to describe this gameplay phenomena later.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?