This topic contains 57 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Thalamus 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
     Thalamus 
    ContributorMemberModerator

Looks like something I’ve made. I’ll have a look at what you’re saying @vogliadicane – thanks ! :good:

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Thalamus.
     Thalamus 

@vogliadicane : I agree. Your samples is much better. What I don’t understand is what you write about SSF. For me it is at least working as what I expect. Is it maybe that people want right and left channel sampled stereo sounds ??  Would like to know, because for me it is a non issue. I use headset on my desktop and my pin is having no problems distinguishing where the sound is coming from – mono or not.

Tom 
    Participant

Good enough sound samples for a new release?

vogliadicane 
    Participant

@thalamus ok let me explain.

Just to let you know, I don’t have an SSF rig, I only have two speakers mounted under my playfield for the mech sounds, so stereo (1D) only. So me mentioning SSF was just a guess, to explain.

What I was wondering, there are 2 samples for each sling. So I expected the one for the right to be panned to the right and the other one to the left. But: neither in sound manager nor in the script, this has been done (as long as I don’t get the script wrong). And I could not distinguish one pan position from the other with my ears. So I asked myself: Why use 2 samples, which only differ a bit in the way they were cut, without setting them to different positions within the stereo field (pan)? Hope I didn’t oversee something, but from my hearing, they are at exactly the same position.

And for the “Is it maybe that people want right and left channel sampled stereo sounds ??” question the answer is: Yes and No. Stereo samples are definitely superior to mono with panning, but this isn’t important in our talk now. I just mentioned it, because if they were stereo samples, it would explain, why none of them is panned to some side, because stereo samples have the spatial info anyways inside them.

Hope, that makes sense.

P.S.: I am a musician, not professional but as a hobby since I started thinking, so I am trained to that sound stuff a lot (exact timing, spacial positioning…), so I’m very picky with that ;-)   In this case it was the timing that was totally off so I chimed in here.

Thalamus 

@armyaviation ( tom ) : kind of is, but it seems to be possible to improved even more – for some users. I simply wasn’t aware. @vogliadicane. Appreciate the feedback. Understand what you are saying but still a bit confused as I’m not really hearing what you claim. But, I believe you. It is not that. Can you please show me a screenshot of you sound settings under preferences ? You are still running 2:1 ? I believe that DjRobX suggested that even 2:1 try a different mode when it was released around 10.4.

I tend to export all the game code for all the tables and edit them if they don’t have SSF, as you probably know. At some stage I just gave up on posting them to github since feedback was minimal and I don’t want it to become a never ending project.

Here though, in the copy I’ve got in my local repo ( never checked it that changed after I sent it to Tom and I don’t expect it did ) left sling is played like this :

PlaySoundAt SoundFX(“sling”,DOFContactors), slingL

PlaysoundAt is a wrapper around the regular Playsound like this :

Sub PlaySoundAt(soundname, tableobj)
    PlaySound soundname, 1, 1, AudioPan(tableobj), 0,0,0, 1, AudioFade(tableobj)
    End Sub

It has a Pan, actually the 9th param is called AudioFade – not Pan in this case, but that is for me just out of convenience as I it was very compatible to do it this way when some tables used to call it Pan, others AudioPan etc.

Pan ( AudioPan in this case ), is the 4th parameter to Playsound. X axis, 9th parm is the Y axis.

I wonder, The extra sub call to SounFX, if that is an issue here ? I don’t understand how it would be, since my dof works as expected and I can clearly hear a difference between the left and right sling.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Thalamus.
     Badazzwi 
    Participant

@Thalmus. I use your scripts from your repo on whatever tables I can apply them to. Thank you for them.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

vogliadicane 
    Participant

sorry for the late reply. Here is my sound manager screenshot:

Ice Fever Sound

VPX 6 beta rev 3746

Edit: so if I undersand you correctly the

Sub PlaySoundAt(soundname, tableobj)
    PlaySound soundname, 1, 1, AudioPan(tableobj), 0,0,0, 1, AudioFade(tableobj)
    End Sub

should automatically position the sound according to the slings position, right? Maybe that happens, and it is just minor, so I couldn’ distinguish it? My speakers are not positioned on the extreme left and right, more one third towards the center. Like this

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    ………OOO                                    OOO……….

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  vogliadicane.
     Thalamus 

At @vogliadicane : Yes. That is what I’m saying and the placements of the speakers might have something to do with it. But, I should add. Mine is placed almost like yours. I didn’t have room for them in the flipper button area so they ended up in the coin-door wall. One thing you can do, to test. is simply to convert those two lines that play the sound back to regular playsound and then use the “position” button instead as a test.

I have a feeling that a combination of your adjusted sound and making them left and right channeled is the right way to go next. I simply didn’t think that it was needed as I do hear a difference.

About the screenshot. I was more thinking of the setup for the speakers. You know, where you choose 2.1 or the different surround modes. You don’t really need to make a screenshot of it. I just advice you to try something else than 2.1 IF that is what yours are set to right now. I believe that the first option, under the regular 2.1 is the one that might improve it even for regular 2.1. Remember to restart completely after changing that.

vogliadicane 
    Participant

@thalamus

My audio setup is this:

Ice Fever Sound

And: I checked it out now with headphones and yes, they are actually a bit differently panned. Not much but definitely different. I think in a speaker setup and given that each slingsound is overlayed by that mono non-panned booooom sound from the ROM, it wasn’t so easy to hear. I think that’s ok and no reason to make big changes.

For the adjusted sound I still agree, it should be used. :)

Thalamus 

Ok. Well, I believe that Rob said that one could try front is front on cab to see if that improved it for regular 2.1 users too. As I understand it, and I might be wrong on this though. Lets play with the idea that we have 4 slingshots in each corner. In 2.1 you hear them left and right. In that mode you still hear them left and right, but stronger for the priority of the y axis. If that makes any sense ?

I see that some authors still are using rightsling, leftsling with difference in the channel output, and it makes sense I guess. But, it is not accurate, it is basically often implemented as the very left or the very right. How accurate you are going to get it all depends on your implementation I guess. There is no lying that exciters pr. example steal some of the clarity from the sound. But, then again. Table sounds isn’t something we sit down and listen to, they are there to improve the realism of a machine. I’m will not swap them out for regular speakers, that’s for sure :)

Boomerang is one tables people should take a closer look at for table sound. It is done quite different from most others.

I agree that in this case, your improvement to the timing is enough. But, please prove me wrong. I’m no expert at this.

vogliadicane 
    Participant

Improvement of timing is enough, yes. Definitely.

Thalamus 

Yeah. Well, I did some more testing and sent updated samples of your fix to Tom in case of an update. ( I did add a slight left/right pan to the samples as well).

millansoft 
    Participant

Amazing table and a fantastic work. Just a question, I use just one screen on the wall rotated 90º, when I use the full screen version with the B2S disabled, I get the score over the table, is there any way to remove it? Thanks!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  millansoft.
     Tom 
    Participant

I am not familiar with that setup.  Maybe someone else can chime in and answer sorry.

BTW update to sound will be soon, been busy

Thalamus 

@millansoft : There is several ways of doing that. The most crude, but effective one is to press the backglass button. Now you see the object that you’re struggling with. Now, use the mouse and draw a rectagle area around all the objects. Next, use shift+arrow key to move them all “outside” of the playfield. It might be that some of the object won’t budge. That can happen if they are “locked”. Unlock them with right click after being selected. Obviously, this is a change. So, maybe save the table with a new name in case you want to play it on a desktop later on without needing to download it again.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Thalamus.
     millansoft 
    Participant

Thanks a lot both of you, now I got it working :)

flstclasic 
    Participant

I always use your scripts also @thalamus. Much thanks for them.

Thalamus 

Happy to hear that.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account