Installing Buttons on Cabinet

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Conehead
    Participant
      @conehead

Hi all!  Last year I ordered the “Ultimate Cab-Builder’s Button Kit” from VirtuaPin because I thought I would build my open cab.  Since then, and many hours of research later, I realized the folly of my ways (primarily the folly of my ambitions), and decided to order a “WPC-style Widebody Virtual Pinball Cabinet – Fully Trimmed” cabinet instead.  However, I still have the buttons from my original purchase.

My question is, once I receive the cabinet from VirtuaPin (sans buttons), will it be fairly straightforward for me to install them myself?  Or should I send the button kit back to VirtuaPin and ask them to install them for me at the same time as they’re building the cab.  I suspect it’s the former, i.e. easy to install myself, but I wanted to check with the community as well.

Thanks!

Tom
      Participant
        @armyaviation
        MemberContributor

Cancel both orders, build your own and save thousands.  Was that one of the options?? :scratch:

Conehead
        Participant
          @conehead

Unfortunately I have neither the space nor the tools to build my own cabinet, and once I added up the cost of everything it wasn’t that much of an incremental cost to order a custom cab.  Plus it would be done professionally and it will look amazing.  Fortunately I’m in the position where money isn’t that much of an issue if I get good value for it, which I don’t mind paying for.

Dodger
          Participant
            @dodger1980

Installing the buttons is not that hard. I don’t see the need to send them back.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Mike DA Spike
            Participant
              @mikedaspike

You should do what Tom said.

I’m not very handy with wood, I have a small house and build the cabinet on my attic.  I really love the result.

I wired all myself, all is working, including coin door with their switches.

Just the fun that you build it yourself and can show what you accomplished.

Btw, why want to swap buttons, if you bought a complete cabinet ?

Conehead
              Participant
                @conehead

I wouldn’t be swapping the buttons.  I didn’t order them with the cabinet build.  I agree that it’s a blast putting this thing together, unfortunately my skills are more on the electronics side than the woodworking end.  We can’t all be good at everything.  :)

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

Yes you can

Conehead
                  Participant
                    @conehead

Tell that to my wife!  And then let her know that I want to buy some tools to build the cabinet, and to leave the car outside for the next few months while I use the garage as a workshop.  ;)

Mike DA Spike
                    Participant
                      @mikedaspike

You dont need that ammount of space or tools !

The backbox I build on my attic, just 9m2 in totall with an extra bed in it, arcade cabinet and a corner to have my workplace.

For the cabinet, only used a handsaw and a drill and a small electric saw for the coindoor.

Mostly build outside in the garden. I hade it done in 2 weeks. Moved it to my attic and did the rest over there.

On gamex site, I have my build progress with some pictures

https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/22347-my-virtual-pinball-cabinet-build/

As I said. Im not handy with wood, but the electronic part was easy

JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

Garage as a workshop.  Good starting point.  Tools?  You should have already had those, so you may have to barter some foot rubs with the wife to acquire them now.   Is Bath and Body Works still open?  That would help as well.

Diguelo
                        Participant
                          @diguelo

Here’s a thought. In the UK, we have a manly costom that is VERY popular. Its called the GARDEN SHED. Either buy one ready made or build it custom. Making a pibnball table (assuming its less that Hercules in size) you could easily have an outdoor man cave say 5m x 4m or indeed one that is just big enough to work in. Mine is a sublime 3m square, but it doesnt take up the garage, the wife doesnt complain the garage floor isnt fit to park a car on, the kids cant get in there when its locked and my tools are safe and protected as well as easily accesible.

Attic building Ive had a go and ended up slapping a Dorma window in it got sick of banging my head and as soon as that got done its “Oh baby, that new room will be great as a bedroom” NOOOOOOOOOOO! Whereas a shed is a mans domicile, go in lock door sink into armchair and contemplate the next creation while chugging on a cold one, just for refreshment you understand.

Adding buttons to a custom build is easy enough, so long as the board connections are there, player selection available, screen toggles, mounting them should be a case of having some paper tape and the right size drill bit. In my arcade period, we had a hole saw that you stuck in a drill, similar to a lock saw for drilling doors. Cheap enough from your hardware store, take the switch with you they can measure it and provide the right tools.

One issue we used to come across regularly was the front or side boards were too thick, so buying a slightly larger bit and drilling part of the way from the inside to the outside made for a much better fit so the locking tabs could locate on the inner surfaces. After that a little judicial soldering or plugging in was needed and you had a professional job.

Silver ball go that way, as eyes went this way, GAME OVER !!

BazzaLB
                          Participant
                            @bazzalb

Looks to me like you answered your own question. You don’t want to do the button job and you don’t mind paying someone else to do it.

Conehead
                            Participant
                              @conehead

Not at all.  Based on the responses I will be adding the buttons myself since a) I already have them, b) I didn’t ask the cab maker to install them anyway, and c) it’s clear that it’s not that difficult to do.  In regards to the other suggestions of using the attic, buying a garden shed, etc., unfortunately not all solutions are possible for everyone.  But I absolutely appreciate everyone’s input because I did get my original question answered!  :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?