Internet connected cabinet

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    tmpc
    Participant
      @tmpc

Should i leave my cabinet connected to internet or disable wifi ?

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

I̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶k̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶s̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶s̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶k̶̶̶e̶̶̶e̶̶̶p̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶c̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶e̶̶̶c̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶ also disable Windows anti-virus (permanently – if not it can turn itself back on).  I download all files on a separate computer and transfer them over.

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Define internet. If it is behind a router of sorts, like a wifi access point, then your wifi is the router, and it probably has some kind of firewall enabled, then again, you are behind a NAT and if you aren’t explicitly downloading crap, making the machine into a zombie that connects to a master and gets controlled like a bitch, your just fine keeping it up and running.

Whow. That was a fun sentence. If I didn’t confuse you, then your’e fine. If I did. Well, then turn it off when you don’t use it and done use it to surf regular sites one and you’ll be fine.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

Since this topic will catch the attention of those with better knowledge than me, I’m curious to know if anyone runs CCleaner or other tools to defrag or to do general maintenance.

tmpc
            Participant
              @tmpc

I download and test on another pc and get occasional b2s on cab but that is all. So far windows updates seem fine and haven’t screwed anything up yet.

I don’t have any anti virus on cab either.

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

That’s another good question about updates.  I’ve read threads where a Windows update had caused problems.  Are other users updating?  The pc I’m currently using has been offline for a bout a year and is working fine so I haven’t messed with anything but am curious what others recommend.

Gwen
                Participant
                  @gwen

I have been running my cabinet connected since I built it without any related issues.  I’m running Windows 10 and have auto updates on.  If I do run into problems I can always do a checkpoint restore.

Gwen
                  - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

I’m on the unsupported Win7 now. And, hey, you know what. It hasn’t blown up on me just because it isn’t updated. It all depends on what common sense to be perfectly honest. Yes, if my network got hacked and my pin was not updated it could probably be infected with something. But, the way I see it. It is all over anyway by then. I would have to re-install everything anyway. There is no reason to update your computer – especially automatic like I’ve heard that many of you Win10 guys do. Sure, there is no harm in doing it either. But, don’t come running – questioning why something all of a sudden stopped working. M$ have shit their leg more than once before and you are kind of gambling every time there is an update that the computer will work perfectly after each update. IF it works great. Don’t update, and down be stupid when you browse from it and you’ll be just fine. It is much better to at least, turn off automatic updates. Then you won’t be among the first and maybe can wait a while if that last patch is very bad. Common sense, again.

It is very very different though, IF that pin of yours isn’t dedicated. You used it for work, game and ++++ which we probably should not mention. Then you NEED to keep it updated and I honestly believe you should re-installed it on a regular basis, not just to keep it “safe”‘er, but, to clean it of all the crud that you don’t use anymore but still is left behind. There is a reason why eg. CCleaner exists. But, re-install is much more effective.

Dark
                      @dark
                      vipMemberContributor

I run win7 and I often have it connected to the internet, I’ve done all windows updates with no issues.  The reason I have it able to connect to the internet is I have shared folder set up over the network, so when adding tables/media I can do it all from the comfort of my work station down the hall.  Since I potentially have a lot of pc’s connected to the internet, I can get bandwidth issues or IP conflicts if too many are connected at once so I usually only have it online when I’m adding tables.

3dcreation

tmpc
                      Participant
                        @tmpc

Thanks everybody for the reply’s,i think i will  disconnect the cab from internet for now.

Badazzwi
                        Participant
                          @badazzwi

I have an ethernet port on the back of my cab so i can plug and unplug as needed.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

I have been running my cabinet connected since I built it without any related issues. I’m running Windows 10 and have auto updates on. If I do run into problems I can always do a checkpoint restore.

If Gwen is keeping the Tesla cab connected and updated I’ll have to rethink things.  And Thalamus and Dark going all rogue with unsupported 7?  Funny, I have around 10 other internet connected devices, including one still on 7, that I barely worry about.  But man have I been careful with the cab.  Back-up regularly to separate storage device tmpc!

Gwen
                            Participant
                              @gwen

Yeah I do regularly make backups of my pinball related files to an external 3 TB drive.  I should probably start doing full system backups.

Gwen
                              - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

tmpc
                              Participant
                                @tmpc

I do backup the visual pinball folder along with the registry entry’s after i add just a couple new tables to two external devices.

Is this all i need to backup?

Teahaus
                                Participant
                                  @teahaus

No internet for my cab.  Was connected once when windoze decided to do an update and I had issues with B2s server after that……..got it sorted out and disconnected the internet.  No issues since.  Anything I want to update is done remotely.  I don’t do anything but VPX so don’t need the internet.

Oldschool4
                                  Participant
                                    @oldschool4

I disabed Win10 antivirus, grab my files from seperate computer,transfer via usb. it does windows updates,i backup system image weekly,seperate drive.

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

What is actually much more scary is things like JR started to mention. Other devices. And it will be getting worse in the future as you connect more devices. My robot vacuum pr. example. It is also connecting to my wifi, and it is connecting to the producers cloud.  It is linux based, and if it gets hacked it would be a perfect attack surface to my internal network. Or as a device to attack others. In the last case, I would probably get blamed. Don’t forget to patch your other devices too, and disconnect/shutdown completely devices you don’t use anymore.

grunger
                                      Participant
                                        @grunger

Mine isn’t – I transfer new tables over via USB stick.

That way I can fully disable Windows Defender and not ever worry about needing to do windows updates.
                                        It hasn’t connected to a network in 5 years.

If it was connected then the usual rules would apply, keep it patched.

@Thalamus
                                        – yes indeed, IoT devices are a real problem as quite often they are not that well supported in terms of patches from the manufactures, I have a separate VLAN for my IoT devices and guest users with ESSIDs that are mapped to the VLANs

Any IoT devices get rate limited bandwidth and can only access they internet, they have no route into my internal LAN, likewise I have a guest network for visitors again with no route into my internal LAN

I’ve done this the real way with L3 switches and enterprise end access points, but many consumer APs allow the creation of a Guest wireless network with a few clicks, it’s not as good at the proper solution but it’s much easier and has the same effect in terms of device isolation

tmpc
                                        Participant
                                          @tmpc

So this is my plan, since i have VP installed on three different pc’s i will have my cab not connected and when updates are installed on the other pc’s and VP work fine on those i will update my cab and then disconnect again.

LynnInDenver
                                          Participant
                                            @lynnindenver

Yeah, we’ve just changed over to making Radiant Silverball internet connected again as an experiment, just to see how things work with FX3, Zaccaria Pinball and the like.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                            Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                            Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?