This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Fulltilt 3 years, 11 months ago.

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
     randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Fren what got you started in building tables and how did you get so dang good at it?!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

freneticamnesic 
    vipModeratorMember

I have a ghost writer

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Seriously. this is serious

freneticamnesic 
    vipModeratorMember

ok ok.
    I was at a restaurant one night and they had Sharkey’s Shootout. There was a bunch of people playing it so I didn’t get a chance to. When I came home I looked for it on VPForums and found one but it wasn’t really up to my “standards”, it was a playable game but the graphics were rough. So I started working on it that night, it took about a month and I had to ask a lot of people for help. In the end the game looked pretty terrible but I felt like I had accomplished something. It didn’t take long to pick up the scripting, since I use Excel at work every day I was pretty comfortable with VB script, it was just a matter of learning how it worked with VP. Another thing that helped is the idea that, everything you need to do to make a table has already been done before. A lot of making a table is copying and pasting code. I used a lot of archaic techniques in SS though… when I made 24 everything had improved greatly and I could spend more time making it look pretty. I tend to ignore SS when thinking about the tables I’ve done but it’s probably my most important one.

freneticamnesic 
    vipModeratorMember

is what my ghost writer told me to write

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Now that is actually very interesting! And your ss was a huge improvement to the one I had before so I thank you for that. Funny that’s what got you started but you knew of vp I assume before that then?

freneticamnesic 
    vipModeratorMember

Yea a bit. I was looking up info on a pinball machine my father used to own when I was 9 or 10, Gottlieb’s “Fast Draw”, and I found these virtual simulations of the game. Future Pinball first, then Visual Pinball, and from there it opened up a whole world of interesting games. I actually wasn’t real big on pinball before that, but since then pinball has been one of my biggest hobbies. I know all the great spots in the area (thankfully Portland is an arcade and pinball town) and spend a lot of time playing real and virtual pinball. I themed my mini pin after Fast Draw actually, but replaced the stenciled characters on the sides with Gumby and Pokey – no real reason other than it was something to do, and who doesn’t love Gumby…

Fulltilt 
    Participant

Nice idea Randr for these interview threads, I enjoy reading and learning a little about some of these amazing table authors. Actually it was Frens StarTrek that brought me to this site after seeing his video for it on youtube. I still think it is one of the best examples of what VP10 can do and sets a new standard, but that’s just my opinion. I enjoy all the new tables and ofcourse respect every author for everything they do. I thank you all very much again :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account