Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DBrown67
    Participant
    @dbrown67

I’m completely new to building a VP cabinet, so apologies for another build thread. But I’ve done loads of Mame stuff before so I know some stuff about building things.

But all my projects are bartop/mini cabs because of lack of space. I’m thinking of building a VP cab using a 4K 27″ IPS monitor. I really like the look of the 4K tables in VPX. I’ve never owned a 4K display so I can’t test this for myself. Would it be worth doing? I don’t know if many people build “mini” pin cabs. 27″ seems to be the most populated size with plenty of manufacturer choice.

I’d be hooking up to my desktop PC to save money. It’s current specs are Ryzen 5 2600 with GTX1070 and 16Gb RAM. I tend not to play AAA titles much now so it’s not pushed to it’s limits. I could just hook the cab monitors externally from that PC. Portability would be sacrificed till funds allowed for a dedicated set up. What screen for the backglass would you guy recommend? I wouldn’t be going with a separate, dedicated DMD. I’d just use the inbuilt one.

Having played about with the software on my current 1440p screen lowest fps I’ve seen is upper 400s. So 4K should be OK?

Schreibi34
    Participant
    @schreibi34

I have a 27″ bartop cab. Your PC is 4k ready! All i can say is that if you start to dive deeper into VP, all you want for christmas is a 43″ 4k fullsize cab. Try to build a low cost BT cab (monitors from ebay) and see if you like it.

If you want to spend a little more try to get a 21:9 monitor for the playfield. It’s closer to the ~20:9 ratio of a real pincab and gives you some extra space for the modern tables with high toys/ramps. There is a WIP out there for a 21:9 cab. Can’t remember who did it. Looks really cool!

Keep in mind that without the legs you can’t use a nudge sensor. You need 3 buttons on each side for flipper, magna save and nudge!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW