Is it possible to run Pinupsystem with Systems/Tables etc on another drive?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bonoscot
    Participant
      @bonoscot

Is it possible to just have Pinupsystem on my C drive? But have everything like Tables/Media/Systems/Video packs etc on another drive for it to work?

Do you need to have the video media on C drive to work?

I have a lot of media and tables but im running out of space on my Main C drive…..So i was thinking of just having the basic PinupSysetm installed on my C drive and everything else on another drive to help me.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

I’m quite confident that you can use so called directory junctions to make eg. c:\blabla point to d:\whatever. Need ot be admin most probably and run

mklink /D c:\whatever d:\whatever

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

jso
        Participant
          @jso555

For what it’s worth – a few months ago I attempted to use the “make a Directory Junction to another drive” approach described above by Thalamus and it did not go well.

I initially installed on C: on my new vpin PC, but realized I had too many files to copy over to its 256 GB SSD from the external HDD connected to the HTPC that I had been using in my cabinet prior to buying a dedicated system, so I tried to mklink to D: and copy everything to there.

It didn’t work. I think there was an issue with file permissions when it tried to reference relative file paths that were not part of an allow-list generated when registering VPinMame etc via all those .bat files you run when you first install everything.

I should note that I cannot remember if I attempted a Directory Junction vs a Symlink vs a Hard Link. I think I tried more than one option and got errors with external files being reported either as missing or lacking the appropriate permissions. Those same files worked fine on C:

Also of note for others who still want to try – maybe you have to have links created for every single file? I was only making links for the root-level folders (Pinupsystem, Visual Pinball, DirectOutput, etc; no subfolders or any other contents within). I’m comfortable enough running recursive commands from a prompt, but unless I could find a way to track and mirror changes, making a link for every single file seemed like it would quickly become an unmanageable mess soon after files were added, removed, renamed…

You might be able to get away with a mklink based solution for Popper frontend media (not PuP-Packs, because I think they can be referenced by table scripts). I haven’t embarked on linking media to my Popper database yet and wasn’t planning on trying it anyway so I cannot confirm, but the frontend media is among the few assets that aren’t ever called from VPX, so I can’t imagine a case in which they would be referenced by relative file paths etc and encounter the issues I described above.

Good luck if you do try it, I’d love to see someone pull it off!

gtxjoe
          Participant
            @gtxjoe

You can use this utility to easily create a symbolic directory link

https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

Surprised. I haven’t tried it for my popper media, but, I have other directory junctions for altsound that works perfectly here. Mind you, I’m running Win7, and I’m local admin.

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

You could prob pick up a 500gb SSd on ebay for like $30.  Clone your drive and poof, plenty of space

jso
                Participant
                  @jso555

You could prob pick up a 500gb SSd on ebay for like $30. Clone your drive and poof, plenty of space

That’s what I’m planning on doing, now that I’ve more or less given up on trying to use a second drive – except I’m thinking of picking up a 1TB or 2TB to hopefully future-proof my cab’s storage needs.

I have a spare 1TB m.2 on hand already from a work machine that I upgraded to 2TB, but I’m concerned that there might be software licenses still tied to the hardware ID of the drive, as I seem to recall having issues with that in the past when migrating to larger drives, so I’ve been putting off the cloning process because there are a lot of licenses that I will have to audit.

I may have to do it pretty soon though – as of last night I’m now under 10GB free on my C: (zoinks!).

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

I have a lot of pup packs and over 800 tables and just over half full.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?