Is this the new Best Bang for the Buck 43″ 4K Playfield Screen?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vestaviascott
    Participant
      @vestaviascott

I’ve been casually researching 4K playfield monitors for a while now. Now that I’ve pulled the trigger on a cabinet and finally decided to commit to building a virtual pinball machine, I’ve switched my search into high gear.

To that end I’ve settled (for now) on what I believe may be the best bang for the buck 4K 43″ playfield screen. After comparing the specs and considering a budget of less than $500, my choice is the LG 4K 43″ UN7300. Costco.com says it should arrive sometime next week. Until then, I’ll have to depend on research to speculate on its performance for virtual pinball and in particular to do justice to the increasingly growing crop of jaw dropping, meticulously crafted 4K playfields, generously made available for our use.

The UN7300 is an RGB based IPS panel and from the few posts I could find discussing it (and its previous model), it performs remarkably well as a virtual pinball playfield screen. Input lag is a very impressive 9.7ms at 4K resolution @60hz in 4:4:4 chroma, It extremely impressive off angle viewing (no doubt helped by the IPS display), and it has excellent reflection handling (all according to rtings.com)

The kicker for me was this from the rtings.com comparison guide:

The Samsung Q60/Q60R QLED is a slightly better TV than the LG UM7300.

Considering the Samsung 43″ Q60 QLED is currently selling for a cool $995 at Amazon, compared to the LG 43″ UM7300 at $299 Costco, um, yea. I’ll take the LG or if I’m spending that kind of cash, I’ll probably opt for an Asus Strix ROG 43″ monitor and end my search for the best virtual pinball playfield monitor available as of January 2021.

Anyway, curious if anyone has experience with this TV or any of the ones mentioned here or in the virtual pinball 40-43″ 4K comparison spreadsheet. I created that spreadsheet as part of my search (one that’s ongoing as new technology continues to push the boundaries of realism in 43″ 4K-8K tv/monitor screens). Hopefully it helps others and feel free to add or edit if I’ve missed one you’d like to see there.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by vestaviascott.
      KiwiBri
      Participant
        @kiwibri

thanks for posting this. I’m not in an urgent hurry or need to upgrade my 1080P setup, but wanted to know more about 4K screens should I need to get one in the future or come across a deal on one as prices drop new and used.

Interested in hearing what you think of the LG screen.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by KiwiBri.
        vestaviascott
        Participant
          @vestaviascott

Will do. The LG is in shipping tonight and suppose to arrive tomorrow. My PC power supply died and my replacement is suppose to arrive around mid week. Once I get everything set up (still have to install virtual pinball per Terryred’s “Start Here” tutorial) I’ll definitely share my thoughts here along with pics and videos.

Hopefully others who may have this LG (or any similar 4K TVs) can also share their experiences.

Badazzwi
          Participant
            @badazzwi

I voted ips because that’s what my lg is and it has performed well for me. I cant really say which is best because I never used any of the others.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

vestaviascott
            Participant
              @vestaviascott

Which model LG do you have? I’m awaiting my new 43″ 4K UN7300 (IPS) to arrive today from Costco (via UPS)

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

Also interested in other’s experiences.  I’ve been eyeing that 40″ Vizio ‘4k’ on eBay (40″ being a tricky size to find) – – but are these cheap 4k TV’s really 4k??

What video card are you going to use?  Look forward to your report.  Have fun with build!

Badazzwi
                Participant
                  @badazzwi

43UK6300 I’m pretty sure is the model I have

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

njk70
                  Participant
                    @njk70

IPS should be better as you are looking at the screen at an unusual angle. In theory at least.

I believe that is the TV I have going into my cabinet (which is on the slowest build in history). My only complaint so far is that the back of the TV is not flat so it does not lay flat without some form of spacer support on one side (depending on the kind of mounting platform you have). This may be a common issue, I don’t know.

The other issue I had was the cable I initially used caused the TV to not show up as a 4K screen on my computer. When I switched from displayport to hdmi it worked fine. It may have just been the quality of cable I had, just one I pulled out of my box of spare computer parts, I didn’t look into it too far.

vestaviascott
                    Participant
                      @vestaviascott

Sounds good. You are referring to the LG 4K UN7300?

For  the curved backed monitors, one solution I’ve seen is to use very long (4-8 inches) “L” brackets, 2 on each side screwed down to the side of the cabinet at a height that allows the top of the TV to sit at your desired depth down in the cab .

The L brackets can be placed at different levels to accommodate an uneven back TV. You just lay the TV/monitor on the brackets (no fancy rotation though)

njk70
                      Participant
                        @njk70

Yes. LG 4K UN7300. Not curved. When oriented like a normal TV the base is thicker then the top (which makes sense if you want it free standing). So when you lay it on its back one side sags unless you add support or your mounting otherwise adjusts for that. I just added a piece of side wood on my cabinet that holds up unsupported end.

Kabs
                        Participant
                          @kabs

this is the most important part of your vpin, get a monitor not a tv

Numiah
                          Participant
                            @numiah

I went for a 4k samsung 49″ UE6400 coming from a decent LG47″ 1080p
                            The difference in quality is fenominal. I should have upgraded much earlier.

Bally widebody - i5-4690 - 16Gb - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF - Nvidia GTX1660Ti 6Gb - 256GbM.2 - 60Gb SSD (Win10Pro) - Samsung 49" 4K UHDR - 30" LG Backglass - 17" LCD dmd - iPad as topper - Ledwiz - Teensy - iPac32 - 8 Contactors - 5 Flashers - Gear - Shaker - Knocker - Addressable strips and matrix - 2 Strobes - RGB under cab - RGB buttons - 3-axis Tiltbob

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

I got a Samsung UN43TU7000FXZA at Best Buy for $300.  Any critiques on it, haven’t got it yet

Spelly88
                              Participant
                                @spelly88

I’ve been casually researching 4K playfield monitors for a while now. Now that I’ve pulled the trigger on a cabinet and finally decided to commit to building a virtual pinball machine, I’ve switched my search into high gear.

To that end I’ve settled (for now) on what I believe may be the best bang for the buck 4K 43″ playfield screen. After comparing the specs and considering a budget of less than $500, my choice is the LG 4K 43″ UN7300. Costco.com says it should arrive sometime next week. Until then, I’ll have to depend on research to speculate on its performance for virtual pinball and in particular to do justice to the increasingly growing crop of jaw dropping, meticulously crafted 4K playfields, generously made available for our use.

The UN7300 is an RGB based IPS panel and from the few posts I could find discussing it (and its previous model), it performs remarkably well as a virtual pinball playfield screen. Input lag is a very impressive 9.7ms at 4K resolution @60hz in 4:4:4 chroma, It extremely impressive off angle viewing (no doubt helped by the IPS display), and it has excellent reflection handling (all according to rtings.com)

The kicker for me was this from the rtings.com comparison guide:

The Samsung Q60/Q60R QLED is a slightly better TV than the LG UM7300.

Considering the Samsung 43″ Q60 QLED is currently selling for a cool $995 at Amazon, compared to the LG 43″ UM7300 at $299 Costco, um, yea. I’ll take the LG or if I’m spending that kind of cash, I’ll probably opt for an Asus Strix ROG 43″ monitor and end my search for the best virtual pinball playfield monitor available as of January 2021.

Anyway, curious if anyone has experience with this TV or any of the ones mentioned here or in the virtual pinball 40-43″ 4K comparison spreadsheet. I created that spreadsheet as part of my search (one that’s ongoing as new technology continues to push the boundaries of realism in 43″ 4K-8K tv/monitor screens). Hopefully it helps others and feel free to add or edit if I’ve missed one you’d like to see there.

I’m in the same boat as you now.  I’m committed to building one of these but not sure about the playfield.  I’ve been looking at 43″ 4k monitors over tv’s, but they seem to run a few hundred more.

How is your LG performing?  Are you happy with it?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                AODqw97
                                Participant
                                  @aodqw97

WOuld be really interested to hear how you get on with this Samsung UN43TU7000FXZA screen Tom.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by AODqw97.
                                  Guto
                                  Participant
                                    @guto

I am using  a Vizio 40 inch 4k from Costco and i am happy with it so far, lots of adjustments that i had to do to work  with my Nvidia RTX 2070 with 3840 by 2160 (i think)  but i think it is more video card settings   than anything else

Also using Dell 21 in for b2s and Dell 17 for dmd and topper

beachgarcon
                                    Participant
                                      @beachgarcon

Anyone has experience with this LG : 43UN6951

Seems like it’s the predecessor to the 43UN7300 with an IPS screen and is currently on sale in Canada for 348$ .. that’s about 28$ USD :)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?