Lost World WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    bord
      @bord
      MembervipContributorModerator

The project:

I recently came across a pristine scan of a Lost World (Bally 1978) playfield. This would be a great companion to Paragon; similar art style, colors, era. It isn’t next on my projects list but I’d like to collect all of the resources so I can work on it when I clear my plate of a few other things.

The entire game will be modeled from scratch in Blender (no using past resources) and will use 100% raytraced textures in VP. I already have the playfield, rails, and plastics modeled.

The request:

If you are proficient in Illustrator/Inkscape and have an eye for detail, please consider volunteering some time to redraw the plastics from scratch. The upper plastics are mirrors of each other, the color palette is limited and I have a very accurate template for you to draw on. The most difficult part of the redraw looks to be the sling plastics.

The timeline:

Honestly, this project will just sit until someone can work on the plastic art. Maybe it will be you. The time between complete plastics art and having a playable game should be no more than 2 months unless you catch me in a really busy season. It isn’t that complicated of a game and I already have a good start on it.

Qualify yourself:

There are some tremendously talented people on this forum with a great eye for detail. If you know Illustrator/Inkscape, like games from this era, and can follow-through on projects you sign on for this project might just be for you.

Disqualify yourself:

Looking for vectored art, not stretched art from available photos. If you can’t use a bezier curve tool this project isn’t for you.

Get in touch:

Let me know if you are interested publicly or via PM and I will get you the template and a copy of the PF for color reference.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 4.56.21 PM

bord
        @bord

Gonna call out @jmreedy and @cyberpez right off the bat. Lots of other good candidates. If you know of someone qualified please tag them in a reply.

jmreedy
        Participant
          @jmreedy

@bord Yeah man, I would love to take a stab at it. Send me the scans and I’ll see what we are working with. We are expecting baby #2 around Christmas and trying to finish the basement before then so it might take me a few months when I can squeeze things in here and there, but I’m always down to help out.  :good:

bord
            @bord

@bord Yeah man, I would love to take a stab at it. Send me the scans and I’ll see what we are working with. We are expecting baby #2 around Christmas and trying to finish the basement before then so it might take me a few months when I can squeeze things in here and there, but I’m always down to help out.  :good:

Love it! So glad to be working with you again. And congrats on baby #2!

I’ll get you the resources later tonight.

cyberpez
            Participant
              @cyberpez

@bord. I’m disqualified….  Don’t tell anyone but vectors make my head spin….  Could never get the hang of them.

Good luck guys!  I know the whole project is in great hands!

bord
                @bord

@cyberpez, what?! That makes your redraw accomplishments all the more stunning. Hope we can work together on a project someday.

miguelcerca
                Participant
                  @miguelcerca

@bord

hope this helps…

Bally Lost World (1978) resources

bord
                    @bord

What?! Man, first Fashion Show resources and now this? @miguelcerca, you are awesome.

Hey @jmreedy, you may have gotten a reprieve…

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    jmreedy
                    Participant
                      @jmreedy

Ha, well hot damn. These look mighty fine. If they don’t work for you @bord, at the very least they will make my job much easier. Thanks @miguelcerca!

BorgDog
                      Participant
                        @borgdog
                        MemberContributorvip

So, there is locally to me someone selling a package Lost World and Paragon, if someone wants to donate the $1900 for both I will gladly buy them, strip them down and scan everything  :)  just saying.  Actually very tempted to buy them, but have no time, money or space for two more pins sadly, need to finish the 4 project pins I already have.

bord
                          @bord

Ouch. Time to build a new pinball garage or something. It is a cool pair, although I’d probably end up selling the LW to finance the Paragon.

BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

see and was thinking of selling the Paragon to fund the Lost World.  I prefer non-widebody pins generally, although Paragon is the better game of the two by most people.  Planning the forever pinball room (with house attached), only 4 years 9 months until we sell it all to make it happen, not that I’m counting.

bord
                              @bord

plastics_done

Plastics are placed. This will go into hibernation now for a while so I can finish some other projects, but great to know the critical art assets are completed.

miguelcerca
                              Participant
                                @miguelcerca

What?! Man, first Fashion Show resources and now this? @miguelcerca, you are awesome.

Hey @jmreedy, you may have gotten a reprieve…

No problem. These came from @digable. He brought the playfied and plastics over to scan.

Offer still stands for anyone wanting to bring playfied or plastics to Iowa City, I’m happy to scan for you!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                bord
                                  @bord

Well, it was a short-lived hibernation.

All modeling is complete except the apron. Word on the street is that @borgdog recently acquired a LW and will help out when he starts working on the machine.

For now this is where it sits:

render2

4k version of the render can be viewed here.

Now back to my regularly scheduled projects.

Schreibi34
                                  Participant
                                    @schreibi34

I might sound like a broken record…….. AWESOME!

BorgDog
                                    Participant
                                      @borgdog
                                      MemberContributorvip

Well, it was a short-lived hibernation.

All modeling is complete except the apron. Word on the street is that @borgdog recently acquired a LW and will help out when he starts working on the machine.

For now this is where it sits:

render2

4k version of the render can be viewed here.

Now back to my regularly scheduled projects.

BorgDog’s laundry room line up denies any knowledge any help expressed or implied.  ;-)    Now with representation of all the big 4 manufactures of the time :yahoo:   and yes that really is my laundry room :)

IMG_20191020_174420

bord
                                        @bord

What a lineup! I used to think having a laundry room with a 5 gallon carboy of 5 year cellared Russian Imperial Stout was cool. Not anymore. You win.

Also: THANKS! One step closer.

apronrender

Not compressed to death version here.

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

Nice, looks like you cleaned up the rest of the tape residue too :)

The stout sounds good too.

bord
                                            @bord

render3

Thanks, @borgdog! Modeling complete, I’d say.

8k here.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?