Jack-Bot (Williams 1995)

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    roccodimarco
    Participant
      @roccodimarco

I just did some quick testing and I do see some very slight stutter, but absolutely no frame drops.  It’s behavior I’ve seen on some other tables and seems to be somehow related to playfield reflections.  Try turning off playfield reflections and see if that fixes it.

I can confirm that my playfield reflections are off.  Jackpot seems to be the culprit for me. I’m not sure why, maybe it’s time to upgrade soon.

STAT
      Participant
        @stefanaustria
        MemberContributor

FPS 60 and when i get “Jackpot” or Comes to some Action like “Pinbot goes open”, then in goes down to 50-45,
        with small Ball Stutters, again: small, not the big Issue – it’s Overall full playable for me :good:
        PF Refl. off, EOD Slider doesn’t matter, more or less, the same.

I noticed, i have the same with FUNHOUSE when the Ball rolling down in the Wire Ramp & much Lights are in Action ( from up-right  to left-down).

Changed FPS Limiter to 1 ( was -1 ), and Looks like a Little bit better … :unsure:

For example on Indiana Jones, also when more Balls on PF ( in some Modes ), no Stutters at all.

Could it be something have to do with the “Triangles” ?

Onevox
        Participant
          @rooster

Super work as always. I got to cross off one of the last remaining tables still on my VPX wish list.  Thank you, sir.

Onevox

casimir
          Participant
            @casimir8740

Is there anything new about fast flips?

Thanks

Jon Osborne
            Participant
              @jonosborne

There is absolutely no stutter for me at 4k 120 hz. It’s probably an underpowered system causing it to stutter. We’re rapidly approaching the point of no return. Get ready for system upgrades!

dreamtrap
              Participant
                @dreamtrap

wow those outside lanes are murder 80 % of the time the ball goes near them you lose it. nudges don’t seem to help either.

i tried to move the rubber above it down a little bit just to get the ball to at least bounce into it instead of going straight down the lane but the rubbers are all grouped or something i can’t just select one.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus
                  ContributorMemberModerator

It is very easy. Hold down shift when you select and only ONE of the elements in the group is selected. But, I advice you. Don’t touch this game at all. It plays absolutely fantastic.  Pinball was always and still are made to rob you of your hard earned bucks and it is very seldom we do get to see tables that plays as close to the real deal as this one.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                  randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

Completely agree with thalamus! pinball should not be easy :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                    for IOS and Android

dreamtrap
                    Participant
                      @dreamtrap

Pinball was always and still are made to rob you of your hard earned bucks and it is very seldom we do get to see tables that plays as close to the real deal as this one.

yeah but this is just ridiculous. i remember playing this in vp8 and 9 and it was never this bad the ball litterally heads straight for it after launch coming out of the bumpers. the nudge doesn’t seem to help either. i see the ball heading straight for it nudge like mad but it doesn’t seem to move it at all?

bord
                        @bord
                        MembervipContributorModerator

yeah but this is just ridiculous. i remember playing this in vp8 and 9 and it was never this bad the ball litterally heads straight for it after launch coming out of the bumpers. the nudge doesn’t seem to help either. i see the ball heading straight for it nudge like mad but it doesn’t seem to move it at all?

I don’t think VP8 and 9 are good references for how pinball should play. Watch some non-pros play real pinball on YouTube and see how long ball time is. I generally try to tune a table to match my average ball time as I’m a very average player. VP8 and 9 (and X) are notoriously easier than real pinball, but some people really seem to like that. Personally it isn’t to my taste. Fortunately you can tune this thing up to suit your skill or difficulty preference. Once it is out there it is yours to tweak.

Your description of your difficulties also seems extreme. Are you getting good frame rates etc? If more than one ball in three is a house ball something may be off for you.

bord
                          @bord

v. 1.1 is uploaded. I fixed some of the backwall textures that had been referencing older renders I had done (oops). @draifet also made the upperPF much prettier. Thanks!

Re: FastFlips – @djrobx took a look and FF for JB wasn’t supported in vpinmame. It will be supported with the next update so keep solenoids=2 for now and it will work for you when you update vpinmame. Thanks, Rob!

3 users thanked author for this post.
                          dreamtrap
                          Participant
                            @dreamtrap

Are you getting good frame rates etc?

yes it runs perfect. it’s not doing it now in the update?

Mark70
                            Participant
                              @mark70

Thanks for the update of the holy grail :)

Regarding the difficulty level of this table, I totally agree with Thalamus, RandR, Bord.
                              I don’t think this table is too hard, I would say it’s exactly like the real thing, and what else when not that is the optimum!? I played about 70-80 games on a real Jack Bot last winter. If a VP table is too easy it gets boring very quickly. But on this table it’s really hard to not start “another last game”…. just like on the real thing.

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

I hope the update don’t break @rothbauerw and his dual leaf switches! Ha ha!

thanks bord!

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

********************************************************

rothbauerw
                                  @rothbauerw
                                  ModeratorContributorMembervip

@randr It’s tough being on the bleeding edge!

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

bord
                                    @bord

It’s tough being on the bleeding edge!

sax

Schreibi34
                                    Participant
                                      @schreibi34

Thanks for the update, guys!

STAT
                                      Participant
                                        @stefanaustria
                                        MemberContributor

Thanks again also bord :good:

The Loafer
                                        Participant
                                          @theloafer

On the difficulty subject , I’ll restate it again:  We have a lot of great authors in this hobby and Bord is one of the best.  he truly gets what makes pinball the wonderful game it is.

If anyone disagrees and believes the table should be easier, please consider the reasons WHY its difficult.

For those unaware, no one intentionally sets out to piss people off. The design of the table is made for us to spend quarters but also to highlight certain parts of the tables, with some that specifically aim at making you lose your ball.  So a history lesson is in order:

– outlanes are bad, keep the ball as far away from the Outlanes as possible

– slingshots are bad, keep the ball as far away from them as possible.

– center targets that entice you?  Those are designed that if you hit them wrong, plunk, SDTM it goes

– ramps have post protectors on either side.  But.. those posts also deaden the ball or will cause it to go off in unpredictable angles.  So if it’s a ramp shot close to the middle guess what?  Either a missed shot goes STDM OR it heads towards the slings which can result in the ball heading towards the outlane.

For sure, some games the pin owns you.  BUT, when you get in the zone, when you get on a roll and end up hearing a couple of knocker sound effects, when you target getting the extra ball and you get it, then you feel rewarded.  Strangely enough, just about every table from Bord frustrates me when I have a few straight to the outlanes or SDTM shots but then boom, everything falls into place and the euphoric feeling is real.  Yes, the exact same feeling is felt as when I’m playing a real pin.

The best compliment I can give Bord?  When I play some of his tables, I have to use the exact same technique that is required to beat the table by the pros.  If I don’t, the table usually kicks my ass.  If I use the proper technique, then I have a decent chance to kick it’s ass…

… at least once in a while :)

great job,  thanks Bord!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          bord
                                            @bord

That is all terribly flattering. Thank you.

Rob, you really nailed my litmus test for knowing physics are right for a game. There is so much trial and error. I bet I played 600+ games of Pin Bot during development, the whole time looking for stuff that looks improbable in real pinball but even moreso for that one particular feeling, the rush you get from knowing that you are succeeding at beating back a formidable foe. If the balance between difficulty and success is out of whack you just never get the feeling. Test and test and test and all of a sudden you find yourself smiling and unable to resist starting another game. Then you’re getting close.

It is totally subjective, of course and I think a lot of it relies on how much real pinball you play. I get the sense that the majority of the VP bystanders don’t play a whole lot of real pinball or only play a specific era of real pinball. That subset of the community will be looking for a totally different thing than what I’m chasing and that’s cool. Plenty of super-easy VP games out there.

If you’ll permit me one last bit of verbosity before I crawl back behind my keyboard and keep building games, I think a lot about why pinball is so appealing. To me pinball is a micro existential drama played out with every game. In contrast to video gaming where there is a possible victorious conclusion, a game of pinball is a tiny chance to confront your latent existential dread, actively keep it at bay for a time, and then, true to real life, succumb to it – but with a chance to confront and delay the inevitable even better with your next game. If that manifestation of existential struggle isn’t there the game no longer hits the same nerve. It’s so cathartic to confront an unbeatable foe and learn to enjoy the challenge of it despite the fact that you can’t win in the end.

That was over the top, wasn’t it? Haha. Game on.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 151 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?