Jack-Bot (Williams 1995)

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    The Loafer
    Participant
      @theloafer

No, that was pretty bang on, you are an excellent writer, totally get what you are saying!  First and foremost to me, it’s the skillset used to play pinball. With Videogames of course skill matters but videogames is very much the Wizard behind the curtain, always with someone directing you to the end goal.  There is very little “random” when playing a video game.  With pinball it’s skill vs physics vs ruleset and boom, out you go, try and beat it.  I find that incredibly alluring and ultimately addictive like no other “game”, with I guess VR coming in close if only because it helps blends gaming/experience and life a lot more because of the emersion factor. IE: we are fooled a bit more than standard gaming.

With video game pinball, it’s not quite as fantastic as real pinball but it’s really come a long way and a finally tuned table definitely hits the same emotional experience as the real thing and in fact on occasion fools me.  I mean, the physics and the ball weight and the randomness isn’t quite like real pinball but when tuned well, the negatives fades away and only the gameplay and experience remains.

Now we can go back to the regularly scheduled thread :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      rothbauerw
        @rothbauerw
        ModeratorContributorMembervip

@bord and @theloafer

You guys get me  :heart:   :rose:   :heart:

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Draifet
        Participant
          @draifet

Easy is boring, u get a mega score on the few first games, beating all the objectives that the table have to offer and that’s it, no more motivation to play again and improve your latest score. On easy tables I only enjoy the tables from a technical point of view, but I usually press the exit button before ending the game, when I want to have fun with virtual pinball, I play only the ones that make u scream when the ball sneaks malevolently by the middle of the flippers or the side drains, and bord never disappoints.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Thanks for the update @Bord

Scooby
            Participant
              @scooby

Thanks again Bord for this fun table and thanks to Carney for the updated VPM build over at VPU. FastFlips is working great on this table!

Thalamus
                @thalamus

A mention of DjRobX would be nice as he is the guy that actually made it possible.

Scooby
                Participant
                  @scooby

I thanked DjRob on the the VPU thread, but I see I forgot to do so here as well. Thanks again, Rob!

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

Woot, @djrobx!

DJRobX
                      @djrobx
                      MemberModerator

Thanks guys!

I don’t think this table is too hard, I would say it’s exactly like the real thing

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it’s important to keep in mind that real tables, especially of this vintage, all play differently, so different people may have different perspectives on what “the real thing” plays like.

I remember playing a row of brand new, out of the box Stern Star Wars machines, and even some of those played differently.  One of them in particular, everyone kept commenting about how much more difficult it was than the others.      Maybe it wasn’t leveled quite the same or something, but point is there may not be one “true” answer about how this is supposed to play.

Jack Bot plays fairly to me.   The kickout from the upper left saucer sometimes drains on exit which seems kind of evil, but according to Bowen Kerins “it happens a lot” on a real table, so it’s probably accurate.   The good news is in vp land you can probably fix it by finessing some numbers in the script if you really hate it.  :)

DJRobX
                        @djrobx
                        MemberModerator

Awesome work! Love this series! I too get some small stutters during multiball and jackpot. Other than that, no problems. GREAT release

I’ve seen that once in a while and I’m on an RTX2080, so it should chew through anything. In the script we flash everything once at load to cache all the flasher stuff being used so it won’t bog down at a major flasher event. Not really sure what else to do to minimize the stutter.

The “other” major cause of stutter if it’s not your video card, is the collision engine which needs CPU.   I have a suspicion that the new technique of using a primitive PF is introducing some new stutter choke points.  I see it a lot on the new TAF.

Mark70
                        Participant
                          @mark70

Thanks guys!

I don’t think this table is too hard, I would say it’s exactly like the real thing

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it’s important to keep in mind that real tables, especially of this vintage, all play differently, so different people may have different perspectives on what “the real thing” plays like.

I remember playing a row of brand new, out of the box Stern Star Wars machines, and even some of those played differently.  One of them in particular, everyone kept commenting about how much more difficult it was than the others.      Maybe it wasn’t leveled quite the same or something, but point is there may not be one “true” answer about how this is supposed to play.

Jack Bot plays fairly to me.   The kickout from the upper left saucer sometimes drains on exit which seems kind of evil, but according to Bowen Kerins “it happens a lot” on a real table, so it’s probably accurate.   The good news is in vp land you can probably fix it by finessing some numbers in the script if you really hate it.  :)

True, I should have add that the table I was reffering to was well maintained, prober leveled, with a fresh set of rubbers and new flipper coils.
                          But even then, I have also played two brand new machines of the same game which did not feel the same.  So you are right.

Btw. Thanks for making Fast Flips possible

hatred69
                          Participant
                            @hatred69

I just wanted to pass this comment on to you because if i was involved in making this table i would want to hear it.  I had an old friend come by today, and although he has seen my cab about a year or so ago, he had never seen YOUR table on my cab.  I let him play for about 10 minutes, and when done he turned to me and asked me honestly, So there is no ball in there AT ALL?

When i answered no, he was gobsmacked.  He proceeded to ask me if i had updated the table since last he had seen it, i answered nope except for the Pin Bot table.  Not sure if there is a better compliment about your tables physics that that my friend,  so enjoy and of course thank you thank you thank you.

L0stS0ul
                            Participant
                              @l0sts0ul

I got to play a real Jack*Bot yesterday and I have to give some major props. The virtual table plays very true to life. If anything the real table is a bit easier to play.

This table has become one of our favorites to play on the vpin. Thanks!

IMG_20190525_142606628

Mark70
                              Participant
                                @mark70

After more then three hours of fun playing Jack*Bot, I thought I’d grab a cold beer and say cheers! Bord and all Jack*Bot friends.

bord
                                  @bord

After more then three hours of fun playing Jack*Bot, I thought I’d grab a cold beer and say cheers! Bord and all Jack*Bot friends.

Cheers! Feels good to find a game you like and really dig in, doesn’t it? I don’t do that often enough.

Torre
                                  Participant
                                    @torre

Just WOW! What a beauty! Big thank you to you and the hard working team! Can’t wait to try it out!

The flippers don’t work for me either  :unsure:

Mark

bord
                                      @bord

Requires 10.6.

shaman
                                      Participant
                                        @shaman

Wonderful work as always bord! Thank you for your countless hours. Also thanks to djrobx, rothbauerw, Sliderpoint, the beta testers and everyone else who helped along the way. Such amazing talent everywhere. :good: :yahoo:   :yahoo:   :yahoo:   :good:

ashleyb
                                        Participant
                                          @ashleyb

Is anyone having some issues with ball stuttering and the rom resetting to factory settings message after closing VP and restarting for new game?

Did you solve the ROM resetting problem as I’m having the same issue?  On the latest 10.6 beta,  also tried downloading the rom again.  But get a factory reset every time the table starts and doesn’t save scores.  I think the nvram file isn’t being written to, so tried deleting that and it creates a new one but doesn’t write to it after the initial creation.  This is the only rom I’ve ever had this issue with so not sure how to fix.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus

What you are describing is either a permission problem or a crash problem. I’ve never had issues with this table at all. I don’t have anti-virus installed and my cab has AUC turned off so I’m admin all the time. Mind you. It is a dedicated pin, I don’t use it for anything on the internet except occasional download and login to the main 3 vp sites.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 151 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?