Joust PinMAME sound ROM

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    AD72
    Participant
      @ad72

Is there a way to get all the sounds on a system 7  ROM file? I am looking to rip all the sounds from a 1983 William Joust head to head game for an MPF build I am doing also to get the sounds to work in the Joust VPX game.

IPDB

Pinside

I noticed that the Joust VPX does not have most of the game sounds mapped. I don’t know how it works if that is something that needs to be configured or if they are not mapped in the PinMAME ROM.

I found this tutorial on trying to find the sounds.  M1 does not have Joust and I tried the PinMAME approach and put in a few hex values but came up with nothing.  It will be tedious to type in each hex code and hit the space bar like suggested in the tutorial.

Is there a way to find out those values and get them to work in VPX?  Is there a way to look into the code of the ROM? Cheers.

Here is a video of some of the sounds on a friend’s machine.  So far I used a digital sound recorder and stuck it next to the speaker.  I got some of the sounds but of course get background noise of the game.

Cheers.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

@CarnyPriest or @djrobx you have any hints or links?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

DJRobX
          @djrobx
          MemberModerator

I looked into this briefly hoping to be able to rip TAF sounds.    My quick conclusion is there is no easy way.   If you need command codes, you can snoop on a playing table using SoundCommand and VPX’s debug window.

If you download 32Assassin’s “Game show” table you can see how to hook it up.  Game Show uses sound commands to drive the chase lights.

*edit*: I remembered Thalamus wanted details so I described how I did it, which even has the debug prints.   Check this post:

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/bally-game-show-the-bally-1990/page/2/#post-129723

1 user thanked author for this post.
          AD72
          Participant
            @ad72

Thank you.  I am new to this so am not following what you do with the script, where you put it and where you get the output.  So should I ope the VPX of Joust and put the code into the script?  Thanks.  I feel like a complete noob.

NewSounds = Controller.NewSoundCommands
            If Not IsEmpty(NewSounds) Then
            For ii = 0 To UBound(NewSounds)
            Snd = NewSounds(ii, 0)
            if (snd AND &HE0) = 0 then
            debug.print “snd ” & ByteToBit(snd) & ” (” & Snd & “)”
            end if
            Next
            end if

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

Start the game. Press D for the debug editor – not press that small arrow near “editor ?” – well, might be called something else. You will then get a window where you can see these debug.print lines – once the event happens.

AD72
              Participant
                @ad72

I have an error Variable is undefined:’NewSounds’

Am I putting it in the wrong place in the script?

Thalamus
                  @thalamus

Add above the line with error.

Dim NewSounds, ii, Snd

See if that helps.

AD72
                  Participant
                    @ad72

Thank you.  That worked and I got some debug info but it all said:

Request to play “0”, but sound not found.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

Those messages are unrelated to what you’ve added.

Your’s would say ‘snd’ xxxx

AD72
                      Participant
                        @ad72

I guess it is not working.  Nothing with SND in the debug.  I hit all the switches.  The only sounds that work properly from the original audio are the spinners, the hidden drop targets and the flippers.  The hunter targets and the lava pit ball eject play the wrong sound.  The 3 bank drop targets don’t play any correct sounds.

Thalamus
                          @thalamus

Bare in mind – I haven’t tried this. Have you pressed F6 ? Any options to change dips ?

AD72
                          Participant
                            @ad72

Dip switch 1 was unchecked and 2 was checked.  I checked switch 1 and got a majority of the sounds.  Thank you!.  The lava pit does not work.  The pterodactyl sound is gone too so it seems some of the sounds are swapped.

Still no luck with the snd hex.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Yeah. You might need the manual for the switch settings.

AD72
                              Participant
                                @ad72

I asked a friend with a Joust to check the switches.  Both switches on the sound board are on.  There are no other dip switches on the main control board.

When i select both dip switches, the sounds for the 3 bank drop targets and stationary targets are correct but the flippers and hidden drop targets are wrong. The flippers no longer make the flap sound.

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus

Yeah. I’m sorry, but, without the manual it is more of a black art than anything else. Here is more info about dips and how they are implemented in vpm.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=16902

AD72
                                  Participant
                                    @ad72

Hmm.  I have looked over the manual.  There is a list of options and what jumpers need to be connected/disconnected but there is nothing about hex code or dips.  https://www.ipdb.org/files/1316/Williams_1983_Joust_Instruction_Manual.pdf

AD72
                                    Participant
                                      @ad72

I found this description of what jumpers are connected on the sound board.

Attachments:
                                    Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?