Jungle Girl fpx (preview release)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    shiva
    Participant
      @shiva

I suspect it’s the top inline targets that still have the “superbounce”. I ran out of objects and would have gone over the object limit to add a proper constraining system or I would have added it in.  :)

I did give the timer interval a bit of leeway so it looks better than just stopping the ball, but still, considering how piss poor the Stock FP physics can be, getting it to screw up 1 out of 10 times as opposed to 1 out of 3 times is still a major victory in my books.

You can change the lighting, I have 2 settings, a bright and dark lighting set up. This is new code for me that I never used before, and of course I made it more complicated than it needed to be, and I never did separate settings for the lights based on how bright the table is. The table is set to fpxBAMpfLighting=2, but 1 will brighten the table. The settings are right below the main variable settings.

fpxBulbBrightness=1:fpxBulbGlowRadius=45:fpxBulbGlowBrightness=.9 ‘ sets bulb intensity
      fpxLensBrightness=2.5:fpxLensGlowRadius=35:fpxLensGlowBrightness=.75 ‘ sets light lens intensity
      fpxPlasticBrightness=4:fpxPlasticGlowRadius=50:fpxPlasticGlowBrightness=.1 ‘ sets plastics intensity
      fpxBulbBGBrightness=8:fpxBulbBGGlowRadius=100:fpxBulbBGGlowBrightness=6.9 ‘ sets bulb intensity

This stuff is very new to us in the fp community, so I threw it in last minute.

Brightness (FP default is 1) is the one that handles the overall intensity. AS a example, if you set fpxPlasticBrightness=4 to fpxPlasticBrightness=1, the plastics become very dim, while setting fpxPlasticBrightness=10 may cause blindness.

Glow Radius is exactly the same as in the editor, though I believe we no longer have the forced max setting as set by Black.

GlowBrightness is the center “hot spot” of a light. You can make the Halo very bright, but it seems some model based lights like bulbs have problems with that. great for lens lights if you don’t want a halo overwriting your graphics, you can set it to 0 or .1

The Flashers though were one of my experiments, you can change the bulbs with  fpxBulbBrightness, but there’s 2 flashers in there and a hologram, so you might not be able to change it. At least you only need sunglasses, and not welder glasses. :)

If it wasn’t boisterous, then it wouldn’t be me doing it then. :)

Fathom was one of my favorite games, and you can see some of my other favorite Bally games in there, Centaur, Viking and EBD. I added a couple twists to it, jazzed it up “a little”, added my excessive lighting, and then decided it was too boring so greatly increased the speed and the challenge compared to to normal Bally tables. I did Star Trek xse (at PN now) and that is far closer to bally play even though it doesn’t use BAM as it’s very slow compared to JG or other games I have done.

Hope you enjoy it, wish I had a cabinet or VR (which I have been told looks great). By all means play around with the settings, and if you come up with better settings, send them to me. I put this thread up in the middle of enemy territory for that reason. We are only scratching the surface with BAM, and a lot of it is us just trying to figure it out so far. VP went through years of people doing the same thing before it developed into what it is today, so it’s just nice for us FP people to finally have the same capability and a plaything.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Peter222
      Participant
        @swietlikowa

I’ve recently painfully found out that the FB tables are not welcome on this forum (Buccaner topic). It surprises me a lot, because there is a dedicated FB section here. So why this aversion? With the BAM FP works pretty well so don’t worry about the comments – your work is brilliant, looks and plays great.

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Stop being a Jerk @swietlikowa

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Peter222
          Participant
            @swietlikowa

I love your factual answers @thalamus ;) You have the incredible ability to make hell of the most innocent conversation.
            As a forum moderator, you don’t make the atmosphere too friendly :(

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

I’ve recently painfully found out that the FB tables are not welcome on this forum (Buccaner topic). It surprises me a lot, because there is a dedicated FB section here. So why this aversion? With the BAM FP works pretty well so don’t worry about the comments – your work is brilliant, looks and plays great.

I don’t know, man. That thread seemed to stem from a misunderstanding of what you were asking. Did you get banged around a bit? Yeah. No one was sounding off about FP there at all.

Peter222
              Participant
                @swietlikowa

I do not know @bord. Maybe. Maybe I was misunderstood? (I believe it). Maybe this is due to the language barrier (I speak English poorly). However, I have the impression (not from today) that FP is a sensitive topic here.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus
                  ContributorMemberModerator

It is not sensitive except for when I drinking and seeing people spend too much of their spare time on the engine. ;-)

Even though a better looking FP version is out there – doesn’t mean that we should just steal resources from it without asking the original FP author about it. Sure, you can do it on your own. Actually. It isn’t much of a job. You have a VPX, you take resources from FP and replace them into that version. Will it be better ? Probably, will it be great ? Maybe not. It will not be as good as if a proper author did it or a genius like Bord did it with new blender lighting etc. One thing that is always true though. If you don’t try to experiment with the software. You will never ever be able to do anything yourself and most people are just like that. Just leeching of others, and some are even complaining about the job being done not good enough.

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

Honestly, I couldn’t tell if you were looking for that game in VPX or looking for someone to mod it or just hyping the FP version, all of which are fine. Some folks are prickly about FP but it has some ardent defenders, too. Guys like shiva and Terry are a good example.

As far as I can tell it is not only welcome here but this site also hosts some FP stuff you can’t find anywhere else. You just have to know you’ll get some needling from Thalamus about it…

Oldschool4
                    Participant
                      @oldschool4

Thanks, really hope you do, lots of love poured into this one.

So you got the high res graphics in? Hows it look compared to the 2048 by 1024 ones? Is it a bit more clearer and noticeable. I don’t have a cab, but maybe one day I will be able to play JG on one, would love that.

Didnt use the Hi res graphics, stills looks good though. :good:

TerryRed
                        @terryred
                        MemberContributorModerator

FP tables are welcome here.

I asked randr if they would be welcome way back when I started doing DOFLinx mods to them years ago…. so that’s why you see them here. You will be seeing more in the Future when I get more time to update tables to modern BAM standards as well as any PinEvent mods I do. (The 3 I have are still currently wip).

For the most part… while relatively quiet…. the FP tables and others topic are quite friendly.

I really like seeing what people come up with to get around the limitations of FP and VPX. It’s fun seeing something and actually not knowing how it was done on occasion.

shiva
                        Participant
                          @shiva

Not ardent, just annoyed. I don’t like it when people just jump in a thread, do nothing but trash FP as if they are getting paid to do so, and then state that they don’t even play my game or others, for years. Don’t think the other FP devs don’t notice that one as well. I’m not upset, just makes me want to make those people eat their words down the road, that is all. The comments here are certainly no where is as bad as at the other forum, I just want people to try it out and tell me what they liked and what they don’t like so I can make it better. I don’t post at the other forum, because they don’t want me or fp to be better. In fact, neither does any other major fp dev really post there. Think that should tell you something.

JG plays just as good or even better than a lot of vpx games. Other people may feel differently, but that’s how I feel. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, and maybe a couple people may change their mind and actually play FP, and then tell me exactly where I went wrong. FP has had a enormous and very positive impact on VPX in it’s own way, and maybe it’s about time VPX returned the favor.

It does matter who does the game, (look at how many different versions of TAF there actually are and how they play compared to each other,)  but the biggest thing is the amount of time you put in to it. A lot of games end up being played just once and then end up stored on a hard drive never to be played again, and that is usually the mistake that is made. Just not enough time spent on the game.

BTW, I work in FP because the FP community makes it better for me. I really want nothing to do with vpx or really just some people in it, but I don’t object to anyone  who thinks that they can do better with a vpx version and wants to do one.

shiva
                          Participant
                            @shiva

Both FP and VPX are running on very old software…. and they both respectfully have been having their life extended long past what many thought would be possible.

This is not a bit of an exaggeration. I keep hoping a new alternative will show up that solves the inherent problems in each of them. I’d be the first person on board. But hey, we each get to pick our own poison around here, right? No need to whitewash the limitations of either platform.

Great to see you working on stuff again, @Shiva! I remember your VP stuff from way back in the day.

View this post on Instagram

‘Cuz #pinball

A post shared by Tor Caracappa (@the_middle_man) on

We can only dream can’t we?

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

Yep, went ahead and installed on our (still unfinished) pincab here. And yes, I think it’s definitely worthy.

RS Installing Jungle Girl

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                              Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                              Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

This turned into a fascinating thread.  Lot’s to review and give some thought to.  ..in the mean time..

shiva
                                Participant
                                  @shiva

Yep, went ahead and installed on our (still unfinished) pincab here. And yes, I think it’s definitely worthy.

RS Installing Jungle Girl

That looks good. More interested in the game beside it though.  :)

shiva
                                  Participant
                                    @shiva

This turned into a fascinating thread. Lot’s to review and give some thought to. ..in the mean time..

play pinball?

Yeah, threads do have a tendency to go sideways, it’s a very long standing tradition in the community. If you think there’s a lot going on there in the script, you should have seen what I decided to remove.

Quite some day though, with the new editor announcement. Great for you guys, but unfortunately not for me with my skill set. They had to pick the most insane and complex stuff to even learn on to be used didn’t they? Unity is a major pain, C is a lot tougher than VB, vpx is way more difficult to learn than FP, and Blender… yikes. I would die of old age before I learned all of that.

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

That looks good. More interested in the game beside it though. :)

20200215_094933

Gottlieb’s Solar Ride (1979, System 1)

We’re running a LISY1 board in it as the MPU was succumbing to battery damage. My husband thinks it’s history is Home Use Only.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

shiva
                                      Participant
                                        @shiva

Played it more than a few times myself. Weird game, the backglass looked like it was done for a completely different game than what they attached it to, and the last minute they just threw it on because they had nothing else. Not really a huge Gottlieb fan, most of my experience with them is walking into my local arcade and seeing them sitting in a corner with a “Out of Service” sign on them. :)

LynnInDenver
                                        Participant
                                          @lynnindenver

I think part of the problem is it is the “not enough on the playfield to tie into the theme” issue. The gameplay is pretty shallow, but the ways to get there are intricate. It is basically “get the bonus and multiplier up, then collect the bonus”. I only realized how intricate when I reimplemented the rules in MPF on the LISY1. There are three ways to increase the multiplier:

Hit the lit upper lane.
                                          Drop all five drop targets.
                                          Roll the ball through the right inlane.

Three star rollovers, each drop target, and all the upper lanes add one level of bonus. The upper gate, and all the lower lanes, add three (in five ball) or five (in three ball) levels of bonus.

The only way to collect the bonus except for draining is to hit the upper kickout. And you can do this at any time, one of the few System 1 games to do so; many of the others require you to perform another task to light the bonus collect.

You also want to try drop all four white targets and leave the red, which lights the special on the red target, and the drops don’t auto reset once they’re all dropped, you have to then hit either kickout to reset them. Or, well, drain the ball.

All that said, I’d spend my money on another System 1 before another copy of this one so that I’d have a little more variety. Although I can’t complain, we got it for free, and I brought it back from the dead (bad 5V connector to the MPU).

shiva
                                          Participant
                                            @shiva

Cool, my 2 favorite games from that year were Playboy and Star Trek, love the classic designs.

Glad you got Jungle girl working, hopefully no issues. If I can ask, I’m working on a very old table I co-authored on. It’s a truly great game, but a absolute bitch at the time and even bigger one now as several major issues need to be addressed (Or ignored as I decided). One is the cabinet DMD, which just doesn’t work at all.

I really don’t want to spend a year fixing everything, would even have to redraw the graphics from scratch but I would need someone with a cabinet to test out if I have fixed those issues down the road. Pretty sure you would be interested in getting a game to play before everyone else.

Still, be a while. I’ve had to throw out the lighting and script completely from the table and redoing it from scratch at the moment. (It’s a real old game) so could be “more than a while”.

I had to pick the worse possible game in FP history to update didn’t I? Sigh…

_____________________________________

_____________________________________
                                            Latest Project: fpxEngine Table Builder

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 61 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?