King Kong (Data East 1990)

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Bob Albright
    Participant
      @bobalbright

Just spent over an hour with the new 1.03 and it played without a hitch. The ramp shot is a lot more reasonable now, but the game is still a SOB to get a high score on (love it :))  Thanks for your continued efforts on this table!

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

You probably are playing it wrong. Once you hit the “jackpot ramp” – wait for the dmd animation and stop it at the 1,000,000 point instead of 25k. One way of getting a high score is learning the rules for any game.

Bladeof
        Participant
          @bladeof

Thanks for the table and ramp fix. Two things I have noticed are: 1) the A.P.E rollover skillshot is not registering correctly when making the lit letter, it should award 100,000 points (times the ball number of the shot) for a successful skillshot plunge, and 2) when the Jungle Bonus light is lit(top right of table) a successful shot to it should award the bonus but doesn’t, but a shot to the A.P.E ramp does award the bonus.

Thalamus
            @thalamus

Hmm. If that is correct. Sounds like some switches got mixed by each other.

Bladeof
            Participant
              @bladeof

Hmm. If that is correct. Sounds like some switches got mixed by each other.

Could be. Played some more games and noticed that the Chicago Loop shot doesn’t register when successfully hit either. Also I don’t know what triggers the 3 value lights in front of the A.P.E ramp(25k,50k,100k) yet, but I have only seen the 25k light lit up.

cyberpez
              Participant
                @cyberpez

I can’t look at the table right now, but try changing the hit height of the switches from 50 to around 75.

DJRobX
                  @djrobx
                  MemberModerator

It seems to have something to do with gate3.   The APE rollovers work fine, but when you shoot for the skill shot, as soon as the ball passes through the gate, the game assumes you missed.

It could be a timing thing too – DE games are really really really fussy about switch sequences.     When I worked on Star Wars DE, there were so many weird quirks and delays I had to insert for things to behave like they ought to.

Very nice job on the table Javier and Cyberpez!

DJRobX
                    @djrobx
                    MemberModerator

Ah, I found it… sw32 is in the wrong place.  It’s supposed to be the right loop but it’s on surface 75h so it gets hit when the ball goes up the APE ramp.    Just change the surface of sw32 to none.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                    cyberpez
                    Participant
                      @cyberpez

Ah, I found it… sw32 is in the wrong place.  It’s supposed to be the right loop but it’s on surface 75h so it gets hit when the ball goes up the APE ramp.    Just change the surface of sw32 to none.

That makes sense, but there is still a switch in that location on the upper playfield.  Looking at the switch numbers I stole from another site (now located at the top of the script…) looks like the missing switch would be #28   “28 Ape Lane Ramp”  Maybe?

on the subject of fixing switches (and things).. maybe someone has an idea on these things…  ….My troubleshooting skills only go so far….

There is a target to the right of the bumpers.  Currently it does nothing, and I didn’t see anything that stood out as a reference to it.

I’m also not 100% sold that the back wall lights are correct.  Sometimes I hit 125k and get 1mil..  I feel like 1mil (the cage) should light up in that sequence, but it does not currently, It’s tied to the same lamp/flasher that sits under the tall metal ramp.

sw questions

Bladeof
                      Participant
                        @bladeof

I posted earlier about 3 playfield lights in front of the A.P.E ramp entrance marked(25k,50k,100k) that I didn’t know what triggered them, @djrobx fixed the other issues I posted about but I still have that issue, could the missing switch control them? Here is a youtube overview and gameplay video of the real machine:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaS3qztxXI&t=803s

DJRobX
                          @djrobx
                          MemberModerator

That makes sense, but there is still a switch in that location on the upper playfield.  Looking at the switch numbers I stole from another site (now located at the top of the script…) looks like the missing switch would be #28   “28 Ape Lane Ramp”  Maybe?

on the subject of fixing switches (and things).. maybe someone has an idea on these things…  ….My troubleshooting skills only go so far….

There is a target to the right of the bumpers.  Currently it does nothing, and I didn’t see anything that stood out as a reference to it.

I’m also not 100% sold that the back wall lights are correct.  Sometimes I hit 125k and get 1mil..  I feel like 1mil (the cage) should light up in that sequence, but it does not currently, It’s tied to the same lamp/flasher that sits under the tall metal ramp.

sw questions

Switch 28 is already there.  It’s connected to Gate3 in the script.

Both 28 and 32 were going off at the same time, causing the game to think you missed.

Bladeof
                          Participant
                            @bladeof

Does anyone know what triggers these 3 lights(25k,50k,100k) in front of the ape ramp entrance as I don’t think they are working correctly. Except for the 1st ball plunge when the 50k lights up, during game mostly only the 25k light is lit, but making the shot to the ramp doesn’t score the lit value. IMG_20190607_145451

cyberpez
                            Participant
                              @cyberpez

Does completing the A-P-E lights do it?

Bladeof
                              Participant
                                @bladeof

Does completing the A-P-E lights do it?

Completing the a.p.e lights AND hitting the 1 million bananas ramp shot does move the light off of 25k and onto 50k but only for a very brief time, than it goes back onto 25k. I say I think the lights aren’t working correctly because this gameplay video of the machine shows the lights switching between the 3 values throughout the gameplay, but I can’t tell what is triggering them, gameplay starts at the 6:40 mark. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaS3qztxXI&t=803s

I was mistaken on my previous post about the scoring of the lit value when making the ramp shot, It DOES register the score of the lit value with the successful ramp shot.

EDIT: Can’t make the gameplay video address linkable. A Linkable gameplay video address is 4 posts up above this post.

Sliderpoint
                                Participant
                                  @sliderpoint
                                  MemberContributor

Flippers change the APE lane lights.  However it’s doing it with 2 lights lit at a time for me instead of 1 at a time (as shown in the vid).

-Mike

Bladeof
                                  Participant
                                    @bladeof

Flippers change the APE lane lights.  However it’s doing it with 2 lights lit at a time for me instead of 1 at a time (as shown in the vid).

-Mike

Yes the flippers control the a.p.e lane lights. I Watched the video again and it does show two ape Lane lights lit blinking until a successful shot changes it to one. That feature is working correctly in the VP version. Still trying to figure what triggers the 3 lights in front of the ramp marked (25k,50k,100k). IMG_20190607_145451

R AND D REPAIR
                                    Participant
                                      @randdrepair

Can I mod this?

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus

Not with 10K images ;)

Contact the authors via PM is my suggestion.

rudil24
                                        Participant
                                          @rudil24

AMAZING table and intricate b2s work. Congratulations! and THANK YOU!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?