KK VUK

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    cyberpez
    Participant
      @cyberpez

For those not in the know I’ve fallen in love with this table.  After Javier posted his table I immediately jumped in to help with what I could….  While scouring for resources I found enough good pictures to piece together a template to redraw the playfield…  but…  in doing so came to the conclusion some DE tables were only 42in long and not all 46…  So my dilemma..  resize Javiers table to 42, or start fresh.  ….  I’ve went with start fresh, but I’ll do the VUK version to keep things interesting.

So I have a 90% (and ugly) functional table up and running.  I’m about 80% done re-drawing the top 2/3 of the table.  So far I’m really happy with how the redraw is going.  I really hope that all of these cab builders are putting 4k TV’s in their cabs…  I’d hate to have someone paying for tables miss out on all the details…  Heck the half-tones alone took a week to get “sorta” right.

Anywho, just hit a milestone with the redraw and wanted to show it off, here are a few snippets.  It’s definitely passed the proof of concept stage and moved onto full on redraw.

Fun fact..  I dropped my bttf color ramp into KK and it was a darn near perfect fit!!! About 5 minutes of copy and past and the VUK with ball lock was in and working.

kk1kk3kk2

9 users thanked author for this post.
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Unbelievable work. So glad to hear you are tackling this.

Dark
          @dark
          vipMemberContributor

Yea wow big project!

3dcreation

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Amazing! Such a rare table too so really worth the extra effort I think.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

That looks really great Cyber – not the first time you go all in. The mutant ninja turtles redraw is fantastic. :good:

Really looking forward to this release. I wonder, did you figure out all the switches in the end ?

cyberpez
              Participant
                @cyberpez

Thanks guys,  It’s got such a classic DE art style I just had to give it a go.  I was lucky there were enough decent pics to get started on the playfield.  Not sure what I’ll do for the plastics…  Not as many good shots of those, but I haven’t dug into them much yet.  I have a layout started for the upf..  It won’t end up being 100% perfect, but should turn out pretty good.  Will just need the fine tuning when placing all the objects.

Also, still not 100% certain on all of the lamp #’s.  I did find that the Sears Tower lights down the middle all have two bulbs, but in videos it seems only 1 lamp lights.  (for the little I noticed)  I’m wondering if its sorta like in tmnt or bttf..  some of those have two lamps that light independently..  The Kong Cage also has two lamps in it..  might explain why the videos and vp table don’t always seem match up.  Haven’t looked into either real hard yet.

Scotty VH
                  @scottt
                  ModeratorMember

Those half tones are very convincing!  I’d love to learn more about your technique.

Shannon
                  Participant
                    @shannon1

Your tables are always top notch….can’t wait for this one :yahoo:

cyberpez
                    Participant
                      @cyberpez

Those half tones are very convincing!  I’d love to learn more about your technique.

Thanks,  They are not 100% accurate, but I don’t think I could get them much closer….  It’s honestly a lot of trial and error, but the gist of it is…  I use photoshop..  not sure if the steps in gimp would be similar or not.

Create a black and white gradient (hardest part to get right).

Apply the Color Halftone filter  (Filter -> Pixilate -> Color Halftone)  I use a small dot size..  4-5-6-7 or 8..  depending on the size of the original dot..  the other settings are all set to 45.

That should give you a nice black and white halftone.  Then I create a layer (two) on top of that and do a color fill of the colors you want..  (one color per layer) then change the layer from normal to..  ex Darken or Lighten (or whatever looks right)  this part is trial and error again..  Some color combos are easy..  some are a pain..  the red to dark blue to med blue drove me nuts..  it’s actually split up into a few different halftones and colors.

These took about a week of off and on frustration to get sorta right.  I decided that Halftones were the reason this table never went into production.  The guy went wild with them!!!!!

In other news..  I’m onto something with the Sears tower lights down the middle.  I was right, the two lamps are definitely on separate circuits.  Someone on another site had went through the rom menus and pulled out all the switch / lamp /solenoids numbers and these seem to match up:

‘5 BG Tower 25000
                      ‘6 BG Tower 50000
                      ‘7 BG Tower 100000
                      ‘8 BG Tower Ex. Ball
                      ‘9 BG Tower Million

At least then seem to not light and light up at the right times.  so…  progress!!!!

cyberpez
                      Participant
                        @cyberpez

Making great progress on the redraw.  Worked on the lower left side of the playfield the last few weeks.  Just need to finish up some of the orange highlights and text!!!

Looking for a second set of eyes to watch a few videos…  I’ve been working through trying to get all the lights right..  Working on the left and right out/in lanes now.  I’m thinking….  that the “Lites City Bonus” and “Lites Jungle Bonus”  (Guy with mask on either side)  Might be tied to the GI??  In this video they (can only see the left side) seem to stay lit most all the time except with the GI flashes…  Still not sure on the “Extra Ball when lit” skulls..  might be Special Left and Special Right from the test menu????  Those lamp numbers (48 and 56) are what’s been used in previous tables for all of the in/out lanes…..

kk4

bord
                          @bord
                          MembervipContributorModerator

Those inlanes are definitely tied to the GI. Event when hit (10:00) they don’t change except with the GI state.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          cyberpez
                          Participant
                            @cyberpez

Still chugging away.  I took a little break from the playfield redraw and have been working on getting the table fully functional with all the post and things in place.  I also did some quick and dirty plastic redraws and have been roughing in their placements.  Anywho, here is a first look at the table.  Please don’t mind all the placeholder objects and lighting..  still early :P  (or the cruddy tablet screenshot)

kk-vuk1

Anywho, Wrd has the table right now and is working on fine tuning some things and getting the physics a bit more reasonable..  but…  I’m looking for a couple alpha testers…..  I think I have all the lights and things correct, but I’m still not 100% sold on some of my changes.  If you have some free time to study a couple videos (because that’s all there is)  and then compare that to my table hit me up.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                            Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Absolutely awesome that we get this table for VPX and by top guys like yourself and wrd1972. We’re in good hands and I have no problem waiting with the older release that is good on in itself. Looking for alpha tester ? Look no further ;) Pretty please ;)

BrandonLaw
                              Participant
                                @brandonlaw

In4AlplhaTesting!

"Fuck this game. I love it."

JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

Wow, so only nine of these were made?…and never completed??  Very cool project to bring to life cyberpez!  Looks fantastic..  Thanks!!

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

Sorry for the stupid question but what is VUK

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

Vertical Up Kicker. It’s basically a kicker unit that kicks the ball straight up, typically into a scoop, or out of a deeper playfield hole.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation
                                        MemberContributor

Ahhh thanks

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

You missed on creative use of words there Tom! – – ‘what the vuk is VUK??’

cyberpez
                                          Participant
                                            @cyberpez

Yeah like Lynn said.  Vertical up kick.  There were only 9 prototypes of the table made.  I’ve seen 3 forsure maybe a 4th. On one of the early prototypes the guy that did the restore changed it a bit.  The most obvious difference is one version has a steep ramp to get to the ball lock ramp and standup targets in the middle.  The second has a VUK to get to the lock ramp and drop targets.  Among other things…… I think the VUK version was earlier..  Before the restore it had some pretty roughed in plastics and things.  Also, at least in the pics it looks to use the same ramp as bttf.  It was a spot on drop in from my bttf table at least ?.

It’s interesting comparing pics from the different versions.  In some you can see where they moved a post 2-3 time.  Lots of little drill marks like that.

Just got the table back from wrd.  I’m going to give it a little play and pass it off to team alpha in a day or so.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?