Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Schreibi34
    Participant
    @schreibi34

I could do the metal stuff and maybe a shadow layer?

#188400 Report
    cyberpez
    Participant
    @cyberpez

Getting super close!!  Schreibi34 came through with shadow layers and reflections for the metal walls.  Turned out exactly how I hoped it would.  Flupper is hard at work on the “black” ramp.  Sorry for tying him up ;-)   The samples I’ve seen are worth it though!!!

While those guys are hard at work. I’ve finished up the playfield re-draw.  Tweaked all the lighting, “Wired” up the switches. Also been fine tuning and adding in lots of missing bits.  Still a handful of things left to do but close!!

kk9kk10kk11

3 users thanked author for this post.
    #188407 Report
    Badazzwi
    Participant
    @badazzwi

That looks damn good. Can’t wait to play it.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

#188426 Report
    bord
    @bord
    MembervipContributorModerator

It’s looking great!

#188435 Report
    Thalamus
    @thalamus
    ContributorMemberModerator

It plays great too ! B-) ;-)

#188506 Report
    Mlager8
    Participant
    @mlager8

Looking damn fine!

#188552 Report
    Shannon
    Participant
    @shannon1

It’s going to look awesome in my cabinet!

#188580 Report
    pinguy77
    Participant
    @pinguy77

Looks amazing, really looking forward to this one!

#188586 Report
    Flupper
    Participant
    @philippe

I uploaded my ramp/textures to Cyberpez, here is a screenshot of the ramps textures (and there are also 2 slight different primitive ramps, so all in all 4 textures x 3 primitives = 12 variations):

2 users thanked author for this post.
    #188625 Report
    bord
    @bord

Looks awesome, @philippe. Would love to hear your thoughts on using Octane. I saw you used it on the F14 ramps.

#188819 Report
    Flupper
    Participant
    @philippe

@bord:

I really like octane; For me there are (at least) 2 big plusses to Octane and several downsides. On the plus-side:

• When you got it working properly in a scene Octane looks more awesome (I can’t think of another word that that) then Cycles; I don’t know what it is, but it seems like the difference between a real light bulb (old style with real glowing wolfram wire) vs a “warm” led (in theory the same, but …); My latest Whirlwind renders sure look nice, but I might be able to get it more awesome with Octane. But look below why I might not go there.
    • The baking camera. That is really something, Blender’s bake feels really limited compared to this. In Blender you bake a texture with a “bake camera” which is always facing a face from its normal. That way you cannot bake reflections or anything like that. In Octane firstly the baking works with a baking camera which works like any other camera. You can preview it for instance. Secondly,  you can bake from the position of the camera (like X,Y,Z somewhere in your scene, it is called “use baking position”), this renders a bake like it is a normal render from a certain viewpoint including reflections, correct bumpmaps, etc. Again, very awesome!

Also, you can see in Octane’s settings that it is used by commercial firms (lots of optimisation options, tweakability, etc). But combined with the first minus point, is not always helpful.

Then my minussus (?):

• documentation; there is almost none (Blender Octane). At least compared to Blender/cycles or eevee. There is a very limited forum on Blender/Octane on the otoy site and there is an even more limited manual. If you though that the standard Blender manual is cryptic, try the otoy one. Even the C4D/Octane manual is mostly more informative for blender users, even though C4d does not use nodes (I think). There are some youtube guides, but not so many.
    • There are some (very very very) stupid and unfindable default settings for Octane, which you have to change before it works properly. Look below in the video link for some guidance on these.
    • Rendering works in a separate render executable service which need to be running. This can be troublesome; if you forget to start it, it does not render. If windows crashes in certain conditions, you have to unblock your rendercore on the otoy site. And the free version only allows one GPU to render on (so I cannot use my three 2080Ti’s… just kidding, I have only one GPU, a 1080Ti).
    •  If you expect Octane to behave like cycles when changing settings, it does not. Sometimes the viewport is updated with your changes, sometimes it is not. Best is to go back into solid viewpoint shading, change your settings, enabled rendered preview again. This is quite annoying when experimenting to understand all aspects of octane (see my first issue, documentation).
    • There is a nice library of preset materials, but again: no documentation (even names of materials) and no search (huh).
    • Cycles nodes can get very complex, you can do weird stuff with them. My transparent ramp above in the screenshot is made with cycles, the other three with octane. Octane uses nodes, but it’s like: you can, but it is sort of inconsistent. Using a bump map is very easy (one texture connect to a glossy shader), but rotating your environment image needs three nodes, and I spent an hour looking for how to do it, just a lucky find solved my issue with someone casually posting on a forum somewhere how that works. Also emission in a material works through a diffuse material (?) with an emission attached (?).

And of course, I spent way more time with Cycles then with Octane up until now, so maybe that’s causing my troubles. But to be clear: If somebody wants to start with Blender, just start learning Cycles or Eevee. Only after spending some time with that, try Octane (unless you already know Octane).

Today I found this guy’s video, it is one hour of information on the basics of Octane for Blender and he points out the strange defaults Octane Blender has which you should change.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    #188874 Report
    bord
    @bord

@philippe, thanks for the detailed write-up. You’re right. Documentation on this is absymal.

Sounds worth it for the baking cam alone. I know Blender’s baking was supposed to get an overhaul eventually. Right now it is a real weak point. Going to give Octane a shot this summer and see if I can figure some of it out.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW