Lesser known features of VPinMAME – alternate soundtrack remixes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    CarnyPriest
    Participant
      @carnypriest

Most are aware of Stern SAM soundtrack remixes that were done using Pinball Browser – links to some patches and/or patched game code here:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forums/topic/2380-list-of-vpm-rom-remixes-and-mods/

But support for PinSound-based alternate soundtracks has been included in the last two releases and I very rarely see anyone mentioning it. It’s virtually untapped territory for updating/upgrading existing tables. There is currently support for Data East, Williams System 11 and WPC. The developer team is currently working on adding Whitestar.

It’s very easy to add the feature.

Download Windows version of PinSound Studio here:

PinSound Studio

Like every other pinball-related program, this should be run as admin.

There is online support to download alternate soundtracks directly through the program. Offline, you can go to the community website and download zip files for tables. The program allows you to import from zip.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?act=idx

Wait for the program to extract and process the sound files from the zip.

When the program is ready, select the Visual Pinball tab on the left hand side of the window.

Type in the PinMAME rom set that you want to associate with the sound package that you imported.

Now, in the VPinMAME game settings for the rom. Set the value of Sound Mode to 2.

Settings28b

That’s it!

Some that I really like:

TAF – remastered music and voices

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=126

TZ – the lost Chris Granner DCS soundtrack

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=127

Attachments:
      3 users thanked author for this post.
      RustyCardores
        @rustycardores
        MemberModerator

I’m not a big fan of the alternate sound tracks, but I love the remastered originals. I use them when the original originals are crackly or distorted.

CarnyPriest
        Participant
          @carnypriest

Agreed. Some of the remixes are not that good. That’s why I’ve curated three outstanding ones. Don’t have to use alternate soundtracks for everything, but no one should miss these.

And I’m not saying these are the only good ones. I have not gotten close to trying all that’s available.

TZ – is the original soundtrack from Chris Granner which was pulled from production and replaced when the DCS technology was not ready to go

Jesperpark
          Participant
            @jesperpark

Another track through Pinsound I am a fan of is Tommy.  I’m not sure if it is an alternate, but definitely better quality tracks IMO.

Is there a good instruction Manual on Changing tracks?  From what I have found seems to be light on info.  Pinball Browser is really easy to change but have not had much luck in figuring out pinsound

Great to give a little love to sound improvements.  Thanks CarnyPriest

Al
            Participant
              @alandee

Thanks, look forward to trying this out. I had no idea this was a thing.

Cheers,

al.

CarnyPriest
              Participant
                @carnypriest

Another track through Pinsound I am a fan of is Tommy. I’m not sure if it is an alternate, but definitely better quality tracks IMO. Is there a good instruction Manual on Changing tracks? From what I have found seems to be light on info. Pinball Browser is really easy to change but have not had much luck in figuring out pinsound Great to give a little love to sound improvements. Thanks CarnyPriest

I haven’t done it myself. In the community forums the developers upped a zip file for most tables that are supported. It’s usually the first file that was uploaded for the table. I believe it contains a dump of the soundtrack by channel. Doubtful that any remastering has been done at all. It is meant to be a template. Just substitute an existing sound file with one of the same length.

Now picking the right alternate sound, mixing it to be the same levels as the others, etc. sounds like the real work.

senseless
                Participant
                  @senseless

Great topics on the Vpinmame options CarnyPriest! This will help out in spreading the word on all the great features Vpinmame has to offer. I’ve been using the alternate pinsound files since the beginning and there are some great examples out there. Timing is everything and some are better than others. The Tommy example is a very nice one. GnR is also a very nice one.

I’m triggered by the actual setting. I thought (and am using) I needed to use 1 as setting for the alternative sound track. Can you explain me the differences in using 1,2 or 3 as option for the Sound Mode? Thanks!

CarnyPriest
                  Participant
                    @carnypriest

Sound Mode:
                    0 = standard built-in PinMAME emulation

1 = built-in alternate sound file support
                    (store the alternate sound files in a PinSound-like directory structure (incl. text files for ducking and gain),
                    within a new PinMAME directory subfolder ‘altsound’ and there within the machines shortname subfolder.
                    Ex. for ij_l7: ‘C:\PinMAME\altsound\ij_l7’
                    OR for an example alternate sound file for tz_94h: ‘C:\PinMAME\altsound\tz_94h\jingle\000064-load_gumball_pt_1\load_gum__LEGACY.ogg’)

[this was the initial implementation and the option was retained basically because of inertia, I think. It works, so why take it out, etc.]

2 = external pinsound

[this is the latest implementation that bridges between PinSound Studio and VPinMAME. Through PinSound Studio you get the same features and functionality of their hardware solution including individual gain controls for each channel. I have not messed around too much with the channel gains. This does require that PinSound Studio run in the background. For PinballX users, you would either just always keep it running in the background, or you will need to code a launch script in AutoHotkey to manage the different programs. PinSound Studio was not originally coded for virtual pinball users. It always starts maximized, so you would need your script to wait until PinSound Studio is active and then minimize the window. ]

3 = external pinsound + psrec sound recording
                    (must have PinSound Studio 0.7 or newer running at the same time:
                    make sure that the Windows permissions match between PinSound Studio and Visual PinMAME/Pinball,
                    In other words, if one is using admin permissions when running, then both need to be started with that)

[for developers/authors to access and dump rom soundtracks]

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    senseless
                    Participant
                      @senseless

Thanks for the explanation. I still use setting 1 but will play around with setting 2 and some sound files to find out the power of Studio.

Unclewilly
                      Participant
                        @unclewilly

Could this be used to retheme a table while still using the game logic.  For instance,  if i wanted to retheme tom to hellraiser,  i could change all the sounds.

CarnyPriest
                        Participant
                          @carnypriest

Yes. That said, I haven’t delved deeply enough into it to say how easy it would be to tie events to a particular sound. It looks like each sound is assigned a number but I don’t know that the number has any particular meaning. It may wind up where you are relying on your own familiarity with the table.

Does nothing to retheme the DMD, of course. So you’d hear pinhead, and I guess he’d be pulling off a hat magic or something. UltraDMD?

toxie
                          Participant
                            @toxie
                            VP DEVMember

Yup, basically each sound has a code that is remapped to the sound file.

I can also recommend the new JP remaster, plus the MM remaster from the original sources (e.g. MMR).

MnHotRod
                            Participant
                              @mnhotrod

I was reading up on Pinsound last month but never took the plunge. Thanks for the tutorial Carny. I’ll give it a try in a day or two.

RYSr (Rich)
                              Participant
                                @rysr

Sound Mode: 0 = standard built-in PinMAME emulation

1 = built-in alternate sound file support (store the alternate sound files in a PinSound-like directory structure (incl. text files for ducking and gain)

Carny,

The sounds when using pinsound ( option 1 or 2 ) is much lower then then the table sounds. You mentioned the txt files for gain above, can you give an example of a text file and it’s contents, that would control the gain of the pinsounds for mode 1?

Thanks for the explanations of the modes.

Rich

CarnyPriest
                                Participant
                                  @carnypriest

I haven’t run into volume issues using Sound Mode 2. Of course, I haven’t tried all of the available remixes. If you do use, PinSound Studio then you may be able to simply make those adjustments using the individual channel gain controls in the Advanced tab. Otherwise, I have seen gain txt files included with some of the remixes which you can use as a starting point.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    ContributorMemberModerator

Thanks you very much Carny for these articles. I wish there were more of them. Getting info from the sources like you, toxie, djrobx, fuzzel … supplied with very long time experienced members ( here I don’t want to mention anyone especially – the list is darn to long and I don’t want to forget anyone ) is invaluable to the community. Thank you for the awesome work you’re doing almost every day, free of charge for this community !

Just make sure post like these become sticky – that’s all I’m asking for. Might save us all from replying to the same questions again and again.

CarnyPriest
                                    Participant
                                      @carnypriest

toxie did relay a couple of additional tips based on items in the VPM Settings dialog that I have not touched on yet:

VPM / VPinMame Optimal Settings

Good info.

MnHotRod
                                      Participant
                                        @mnhotrod

Carny —

How do I pull up the “VPinMame game settings” menu?

Now, in the VPinMAME game settings for the rom. Set the value of Sound Mode to 2. Settings28b

Jesperpark
                                        Participant
                                          @jesperpark

Carny — How do I pull up the “VPinMame game settings” menu?

1) For the default settings you go to your Vpinmame folder then double click “setup” then click on “setup defaults” and screen above will show up

2) When a table launched and want to adjust a specific table pressF1 and menu will pop up if not in exclusive fullscreen

CarnyPriest
                                          Participant
                                            @carnypriest

PinSound Studio was quietly updated to  v0.9. I don’t know what has changed but 0.9 is a bigger number than 0.8. So, it must be good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?