Lesser known features of VPinMAME – alternate soundtrack remixes

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    LeChucksBeard
    Participant
      @lechucksbeard

Hi there,

I have a question on this as a user. I’ve installed a number of sound tracks and I’m using them with Sound Mode 1. In the case of several pinballs, that has fixed the cracking/bad quality audio issues. Are these files/sound tracks cumulative? As I tried a newer one for Jurassic Park, the whole Sfx and Voice folders were missing. I looked back into the sound tracks for the other tables, and there are quite a few instances where sound file numbers are missing from one archive or another. What happens when that’s the case? Does VpinMame play the ROM sound or nothing at all? Are you supposed to install the base track first then a newer one on top of it in order to get all the files?

CarnyPriest
      Participant
        @carnypriest

Short answer:

Don’t mess around. Just use this one. I still have it hosted:

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/topic/85-jurassic-park/&do=findComment&comment=661 B-)

LeChucksBeard
        Participant
          @lechucksbeard

Thanks, yes, that’s the one I downloaded, and it’s missing those folders, which is why I asked :)

STAT
          Participant
            @stefanaustria
            MemberContributor

Works well here … put the Subfolders in /altsound/ROMNAME/(jingle, music, sfx, voice )

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Wait so your telling me i just put this in vpinmame/altsound/XXXX/ and it will work? Sorry i never tried pinsound mods on VP :wacko:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                @terryred
                MemberContributorModerator

Wait so your telling me i just put this in vpinmame/altsound/XXXX/ and it will work? Sorry i never tried pinsound mods on VP :wacko:

Yup, that “should work, if you choose the correct Sound Mode in PinMAME settings for that table. Worked for me with the JP VP9 version. I gotta stop DOFLinx testing and get on trying your new amazing VPX version!

One thing though…and maybe Carney can answer better…  you don’t have control over that various volume levels with pinsound using this method, whereas if you have PinSound Studio setup and running, then you can have total control over that.

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Is this in the WIKI? i will play with this tonight :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                    @terryred

Is this in the WIKI? i will play with this tonight :good:

Not sure about the wiki, but I think Carney details all of it in some of his posts in this topic on page 1.

Sound Mode: 0 = standard built-in PinMAME emulation   1 = built-in alternate sound file support (store the alternate sound files in a PinSound-like directory structure (incl. text files for ducking and gain), within a new PinMAME directory subfolder ‘altsound’ and there within the machines shortname subfolder. Ex. for ij_l7: ‘C:\PinMAME\altsound\ij_l7’ OR for an example alternate sound file for tz_94h: ‘C:\PinMAME\altsound\tz_94h\jingle\000064-load_gumball_pt_1\load_gum__LEGACY.ogg’) [this was the initial implementation and the option was retained basically because of inertia, I think. It works, so why take it out, etc.] 2 = external pinsound [this is the latest implementation that bridges between PinSound Studio and VPinMAME. Through PinSound Studio you get the same features and functionality of their hardware solution including individual gain controls for each channel. I have not messed around too much with the channel gains. This does require that PinSound Studio run in the background. For PinballX users, you would either just always keep it running in the background, or you will need to code a launch script in AutoHotkey to manage the different programs. PinSound Studio was not originally coded for virtual pinball users. It always starts maximized, so you would need your script to wait until PinSound Studio is active and then minimize the window. ] 3 = external pinsound + psrec sound recording (must have PinSound Studio 0.7 or newer running at the same time: make sure that the Windows permissions match between PinSound Studio and Visual PinMAME/Pinball, In other words, if one is using admin permissions when running, then both need to be started with that) [for developers/authors to access and dump rom soundtracks]

LeChucksBeard
                    Participant
                      @lechucksbeard

There are a few tables for which it doesn’t work in Mode 1. Lord of the Rings, Diner, and I’m sure I have at least one other but I don’t remember which. It doesn’t seem that much is known though. It seems to work fine for the rest, but how do you know if a sound is missing that should be there?

LeChucksBeard
                      Participant
                        @lechucksbeard

It looks like if sounds are missing, then it will play the rom ones. I just tried with Indiana Jones, with Sound Mode 1 but removing the altsound folder.

Thalamus
                          @thalamus
                          ContributorMemberModerator

There are a few tables for which it doesn’t work in Mode 1. Lord of the Rings, Diner, and I’m sure I have at least one other but I don’t remember which. It doesn’t seem that much is known though. It seems to work fine for the rest, but how do you know if a sound is missing that should be there?

I don’t play with pinsound daily. But, I believe that if you run the application you’ll see if there is something that isn’t correct in the console. Since you are using mode1, I believe you can’t. For mode2 I’ve at least seen a few indications that not every sound is found. Not that I’ve noticed while playing though.

The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

Wut?  I thought I was almost done with the pincab redo :(

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

For the time being you need soundmode=2 plus the PinSound Studio software to run any sound mixes for Whitestar tables.

vogliadicane
                              Participant
                                @vogliadicane

as STAT wrote:

in the rar you find audio/JP Reorchestration

put all the 3 folders into the path STAT mentioned (in my source there is only jingle music and sfx – no voices)

F1 in VPX and set Sound Mode 1

worked for me (and voices are there, maybe taken from the original ROM, because missing)

Edit: I’m all for the original usually, but in case of JP Endprodukt’s soundtrack is superbe. I was never a fan of Data East’s cheap MIDI trumpet sound, so…

STAT
                                Participant
                                  @stefanaustria
                                  MemberContributor

Strange, i have also a /voice Folder, all is 1.06 GB, 495 Files, unziped

Aehm, why Sound Mode 2 ?

CarnyPriest
                                  Participant
                                    @carnypriest

Download from the MEGA link I posted to get the complete sound mix including voices.  I posted it because the one available for download at the PinSound community forums is broken.

Sound mode = 2 is based on the latest devlopment but it does require the PinSound Studio Software to be running in parallel. For PinballX I use an AutoHotkey launcher script to start Pinball Studio and then minimize. I know that it is a pain in the ass and it is not pretty (PinSound Studio starts full screen maximized so it will flash on your screen before it can be minimized), but that’s the price that must be paid to remain in the bleeding edge. And it is the only way to have support for sound mixes for Whitestar tables. Jurassic Park is not Whitestar, so you should be able to run it in Sound Mode = 1.

LeChucksBeard
                                    Participant
                                      @lechucksbeard

Thanks, I’ll re-download it from your link then. I ended up downloading the original one, then copying the new mix over it for a more complete set, but the full thing might perhaps be better.

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Download from the MEGA link I posted to get the complete sound mix including voices. I posted it because the one available for download at the PinSound community forums is broken. Sound mode = 2 is based on the latest devlopment but it does require the PinSound Studio Software to be running in parallel. For PinballX I use an AutoHotkey launcher script to start Pinball Studio and then minimize. I know that it is a pain in the ass and it is not pretty (PinSound Studio starts full screen maximized so it will flash on your screen before it can be minimized), but that’s the price that must be paid to remain in the bleeding edge. And it is the only way to have support for sound mixes for Whitestar tables. Jurassic Park is not Whitestar, so you should be able to run it in Sound Mode = 1.

Could you share that AutoHotKey code? I run PinSound, but didn’t know how to minimize it from an AHK script.

I convinced Adultrey to fix some bugs in QuickLaunch for PBX, so he is actually updating it!  A script to minimize PinSound Studios would be usable for me now.

CarnyPriest
                                        Participant
                                          @carnypriest
                                          LeChucksBeard
                                          Participant
                                            @lechucksbeard

It looks like there was also a version of Terminator 2 by Endprodukt, but nowhere to download it from now. Do those tracks disappear for a legal reason?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 74 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?