Lesser known features of VPinMAME – alternate soundtrack remixes

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    CarnyPriest
    Participant
      @carnypriest

Yes, you can read about it at Pinside. Search for Endprodukt and his White Water reorchestration project. Would have been nice.

vogliadicane
      Participant
        @vogliadicane

… (in my source there is only jingle music and sfx – no voices) F1 in VPX and set Sound Mode 1 worked for me (and voices are there, maybe taken from the original ROM, because missing) …

Just for the record: My statement that if sounds are missing, those from the ROM are used instead is BS, sorry. I now have the voices folder and they are definitely NOT played at all, when missing (I compared both situations).

But: these from the Pinsound altsound are really really quiet. Anybody a solution or volume adjusted ones?

Now let me download “The Getaway” :yes:

Edit: Oh I could extract them from the original ROM (same folder structure, I assume) and use and share those. I have to search for that thread…

CarnyPriest
        Participant
          @carnypriest

You might have to resort to SoundMode=2 and use PinSound Studio to boost the voices channel. Or look into adding a gain.txt file for a global boost for the voices channel. You’ll have to Google it. I haven’t played around with it that much to fine tune a mix. But the capability exists to do this within the system without jumping to boosting in Audacity or re-extracting the samples from the game code.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Be noted. I have to download pinsound 0.8 to use mode 2 for Data East tables.

I don’t know, I keep switching back and forth on JP. Almost too much orchestra at times. Would be better with louder “voices”. So much to tweak in a VP cab :whistle:

toxie
            Participant
              @toxie
              VP DEVMember

It looks like if sounds are missing, then it will play the rom ones. I just tried with Indiana Jones, with Sound Mode 1 but removing the altsound folder.

Only if the whole folder is missing, otherwise there is no ‘mixture’ of ROM sounds and alternate sound done, as it’s way too hard (impossible even??) to implement correctly.

toxie
              Participant
                @toxie
                VP DEVMember

For the time being you need soundmode=2 plus the PinSound Studio software to run any sound mixes for Whitestar tables.

Yes, unfortunately the PinSound team decided to do some secret sauce sound/music mapping for the Whitestar audio packages, which they do not want to reveal at the moment, so i cannot reproduce it for soundmode=1. Understandable from their side, but also a bit sad.

LeChucksBeard
                Participant
                  @lechucksbeard

It looks like if sounds are missing, then it will play the rom ones. I just tried with Indiana Jones, with Sound Mode 1 but removing the altsound folder.

Only if the whole folder is missing, otherwise there is no ‘mixture’ of ROM sounds and alternate sound done, as it’s way too hard (impossible even??) to implement correctly.

Interesting, but doesn’t this make most of those mixes bad unless they have absolutely every single bit of sound in there? It’s pretty clear that most don’t.

CarnyPriest
                  Participant
                    @carnypriest

To be fair, it is a bit like dumping dmd frames for colorization. You capture samples by playing through the game either with emulation or the real machine. Hard to know if you have covered every single possible event.

If you know for sure something is missing, don’t just moan about it. Fix it!

LeChucksBeard
                    Participant
                      @lechucksbeard

I don’t know, and I’m not moaning, I just like to know how things work :) This is all in principle really, as we can’t really know what’s missing. At least I can’t, not enough experience with any of those tables.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

@toxie I tried to use “shortcut” ( aka – linux softlink ) between altsound/romname/destination and the pinsound folder. Didn’t work. I had to move the sound files. If I didn’t do that incorrectly, I would love to see that implemented B-)

Would make it much easier to have several rom alternatives but only needing one sounds resource.

TerryRed
                          @terryred
                          MemberContributorModerator

I originally had pinsound studio launched before each table is loaded, then closed after exiting a table and this worked ok with SoundMode 2 method.

I wanted to have it so that pinsound studio launched when pbx opens, and is always running in the background, but the problem is that when i exit a table, pinsound studio is still playing the last music track continuously until i launch another table with pinsound support.

Anyone have a way around this besides opening and closing pinsound studio with each table?

vogliadicane
                          Participant
                            @vogliadicane

so I’ve played around with the gains in the JP pinsound voice folder. It has some effect, but it is minor (some max, which is not enoughh here).

So I decided to increase all voice wav’s volume by +9 db (foobar2000 is your friend here) and it is much better now. Get the whole folder from here https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alb15rCwgHxXkpRDXFKLa6_lF6LZIQ.

There are still some, which are a bit too quiet, so maybe we can track them down together and I’ll adjust the gains (there is one for each and everyone of the 150…)

And: if you want them to be louder change the gain.txt in the folder.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                            Manples
                            Participant
                              @manples

There are a few tables for which it doesn’t work in Mode 1. Lord of the Rings, Diner…

Same thing for me, LOTR, IJ Endprodukt  and Starwars trilogy don’t produce any sound with soundmode 1 (while most other tables work).

Sure I could use Pinsound Studio but why use an additional software when vPinMAME can handle it flawlessly?

I feel it’s related to the subfolders structure and naming, see this side-by-side IJ remixes (Endprodukt on the left):

Capture

Attachments:
                              LeChucksBeard
                              Participant
                                @lechucksbeard

Same here. The Endprodukt version for Indiana Jones does not work in Mode 1, but the OST track does. That is a good improvement in sound quality. I don’t want to run the extra application, with the added issues. That said, many tracks do work, and at the very least they fix the problem of bad quality and crackling audio.

Manples
                                Participant
                                  @manples

Indiana_Jones_OST_By_PinHead works but the effects are too loud and the music, not enough…

I’ll try to play with @vogliadicane’s foobar2000 and try to see if I can level the levels ;-))

CarnyPriest
                                  Participant
                                    @carnypriest

I checked between current and previous sound mixes for IJ and the mapping is different. It looks like you are going to be SOL on SoundMode=1 in the near future. PinSound has been quietly pulling and re-posting the original soundtracks for several tables over the last few days. I refer you to toxie’s post above.

Seems isolated at the moment to Bally/Williams. And it was perhaps done because of licensing issues with Planetary Pinball who now own the rights to those tables. They are pretty aggressive about protecting their IP at times. Thankfully, virtual pinball is too small a niche.

I have already moved on to SoundMode=2. It’s the only way to get Whitestar support, so if you are going to install and use PinSound Studio for Whitestar then you might as well use it for other systems.

CarnyPriest
                                    Participant
                                      @carnypriest

There is an upside or two to these developments. The re-posted sound packs might be assets straight from the vaults. I’ve looked at a few and where before the samples tended to be compressed ogg, the samples in the new packs are uncompressed 16bit PCM wav files, 44.1Khz rate, 705kb/s (mono, of course, as all the tables were back then).

Not saying voices sound THAT much better, but this is probably as good as we’ll ever get it, barring re-recording in HD like Endprodukt. Speaking of re-dos, PinSound has also made available a remastered soundtrack for Funhouse with re-recorded callouts. Spoiler alert: It ain’t Ed Boon. But the re-mastered music does sound better.

These are protected by license but still free for personal use. You have to provide a valid email to obtain a link for a sound pack. So if you are not comfortable with having these downloads tracked…

PinSound is also offering a brand new Funhouse soundtrack but that will cost you. Regularly $19.95. It’s now on sale for $9.95. You can listen to the YouTube demos and determine for yourself if this is something you want to purchase. It would be an easy decision if I had a real Funhouse and a PinSound board. Otherwise, I don’t know.

There are now packs for some tables that have never seen a pack uploaded, like Radical!

TerryRed
                                        @terryred
                                        MemberContributorModerator

Yup, I just have Pinsound Studio load with each VP table, and shut down on exit. Works fine on Sound Mode 2.

Dustin
                                        Participant
                                          @fwiler

Sorry to bring up an older thread.

Before I try another mod to my tables, is there a reason to start and shut down Pinsound Studio after each table, instead of leaving it running in the background?  I’m assuming yes judging by CarnyPriest and TerryRed’s comments, but want to make sure.

CarnyPriest
                                          Participant
                                            @carnypriest

You can leave it running in the background if you want.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 74 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?