Lights on vertical surfaces

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    walamab
    Participant
      @walamab
      MemberContributor

I thought I’d toss this topic out there because I’d like to know how other people handle this.  I’ve seen alpha ramps used and I know about using primitives for bulbs turned sideways. Since the halos around VPX lamp objects are flat and horizontal it seems there should be a way to do this vertically e.g. Creature lights on MB.

Thoughts?

Walamab
      Table Developer Wannabe and general arcade geek!

nFozzy
      Participant
        @nfozzy

Probably a combination of lights and flashers. Maybe just flashers – really, the only thing lights can do that flashers can’t is transmit. With flashers you have to feed in the image shape manually (use a greyscale image with additive mixing) and handle the fading through the script, but otherwise, they can be used basically the same way as lights.

walamab
        Participant
          @walamab
          MemberContributor

I guess I’ll have to do some experimenting. Not being a true “graphics” guy, I’m not certain what you mean by additive mixing. I know that is an option when I apply effects and such in PS or AI but I’ve never truely known what that means.

Thanks for contributing to this topic. Hopefully I will be able to as well…eventually :-)

Walamab

Walamab

walamab
          Participant
            @walamab
            MemberContributor

You know I don’t think I’ve ever used a Flasher object. Maybe I should try it before I ask silly questions :-)

Walamab

Walamab

walamab
            Participant
              @walamab
              MemberContributor

Ok…I’ve really been struggling for no reason with this. I see what you mean about gray scale and additive blend… fade it in and out with the script and it just works :). Use the gray sale to “feather” the edges (so to speak) and, voila, you have a “lamp” on a vertical wall.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction

Walamab

Walamab

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?