LOTR (Stern 2003) VPX WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Paulo Carvalho
    Participant
      @paulohotline

Coindropper, just tried your latest build. Getting better and better!

1) The auto-plunger switch for me is still not working, I may have to adjust it. On multi-balls and ball saves the balls are not auto-plunging and getting stuck in the shooter lane. I need to manually plunge.

2) When the ball drops from the path of the dead onto the Arwen plastic its at least a 1 ball height drop which adds to the randomness if the ball is going to fall into the shire or onto the playfield. Right now, there is no ball drop and the balls just rolls from the path of the dead right through the Arwen plastic onto the shire.

I will keep testing :)

[Paulo Carvalho Mobile - 204-294-4389]
      http://www.pinballowners.com/paulohotline
      "Life is like pinball, your always trying to keep your balls in play, but in the end, they drop down the middle :)"

blisse
      Participant
        @blisse

Sweet! We are replacing our old Stargate with LOTR at my workplace before xmas. Now I can learn the rules beforehand and humiliate my coworkers. Thanks Coindropper!

Paulo Carvalho
        Participant
          @paulohotline

Hey Coindropper, thanks for letting me know you uploaded a new build of your LOTR WIP. I like the aesthetic changes you made to the switches on the POTD. It’s shaping up nicely.

– Hey I noticed the Plantir switch now registers a hit by moving and giving feedback, that is new and its awesome.
          – Balls are now auto-plunging on multi-balls, thanks!
          – I noticed this before but did not report on it. During 3 ball multi-balls the table does stutter badly when all 3 are in play. When it drops down to 2 balls it plays fine. Have you tried using a different HDR image to see if it improves performance? Got this info from this thread on VP10 performance issues on the Space Station VP10 Table:
          http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30784&page=125
          “On a GTX 980 with 4GHZ I7 I was getting dips to around 70 FPS near the flippers. I replaced the HDR image you used with one I use in my tables and started seeing frame rates of around 250fps in the same area. Looks like that image is causing a frame rate issue.
          “Environment Emission Image. It’s the HDR image file that is used to light the whole scene. You can try different ones by loading a table and seeing what the author has used and then exporting it from the image manager and then importing it into the table you’d like to try it on.”

– Is there a script change I can make (line number?) to use the sound samples instead of the ROM sounds, it is cracking pretty bad when I start of the multi-ball modes.
          – As well, in my testing so far, I have not made the ring ramp shot successfully. I have hit the ring to start a mode maybe 3 times, but the ball has not actually gone through. The magnet has never grabbed the ball in my testing. I am not sure if you need to increase the flipper strength or reduce the friction on the ramp, but the shot for me right now is not possible. In the real pin installed the PinballLife LOTR flipper kit to give it the extra power needed to make that money shot every time :) I could basically start a mode every time when I had the ball trapped on either flipper.

I will keep testing. But it’s coming along nicely.

"Life is like pinball, your always trying to keep your balls in play, but in the end, they drop down the middle :)"

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

agreed looking better and better. I will say I can not hit ring ramp deal its like impossible for me. maybe check physics of that ramp. great to see progress though keep the updates coming!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

Vinthar
            Participant
              @vinthar

No music with lotr or lotr9 rom.
              Ring shot is impossible to achieve.
              I played only 2 games, needs some work, but looks very promising, keep up good work and thanx.

Ray
              Participant
                @vpfan

The spinner on the Orthanc shot (I think that is the name, the center ramp shot) only spins and registers for me when the ball is rolling back down that ramp from a botched shot, when I fire up the ramp there is no movement of the spinner. I didn’t see anyone else mention that, perhaps a tweak I need to make to resolve, though I don’t see how mine would be unique there? (only tried with beta 2409)

Great table though, I prefer it to the PM5 older version I had, which doesn’t quite look as nice and lacks some of the visual depth that this version seems to have. Great work.

Coindropper
                Participant
                  @coindropper

WIP has been updated again. Still a lot of work left to do, but it seems to play better (thanks for the HDR Tip Paulo!). Let me know if you guys find any other major issues. Thanks for everyone’s patience on this. I still have a lot to learn!

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

Will try it out tomorrow night!Love a playable wip! thanks coindropper

for IOS and Android

Paulo Carvalho
                    Participant
                      @paulohotline

Coindropper, just downloaded and played your latest WIP. Man is it playing smoother and the physics nicer! Thanks for continuing to update this table!

I can make the ring shot now on demand with the right flipper (just like the real pin) The ring shot while now makable now has these bugs:

1) If I shoot it hard enough, the ring will not hold the ball, the ball will roll through (happens in real pin sometimes) and the mode will not register (never happened in real pin, mode always registered). I was able to do this 3 times in a row.
                      2) Ball got stuck at top of ramp, I could not nudge it off and it ended up tilting, had to restart table
                      3) Ring mode started, I tapped both flippers to skip animation and start mode, ball was released and disappeared! (only happened once). I have not duplicated this bug, will let you know.
                      4) When starting a mode, shots required to complete mode light up on table but do not flash. Hopefully this is something you are aware of.

I know I asked this before but is there a script change I can make (line number?) to use the Rom sound samples instead of the sampled sounds, it is cracking pretty bad when I start of the multi-ball modes and I want to test it that way as it also sounded better on the VPX Sopranos using Rom Samples.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Vampirolatino2
                      Participant
                        @vampirolatino2

Thanks for the constant updates!

Coindropper
                        Participant
                          @coindropper

Sorry guys, but a new update is up (again). Added sound samples and made the switch for the ring shot larger to cover as what Paulo referred to. Thanks again everyone! I’ll keep working until this thing is right!

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

Glad your updating! Don’t mind trying a new version at all so keep them coming and looking forward to another update! ;) thanks again coindropper

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

TNT2
                            Participant
                              @tnt2

Finally on this last version I get music and voices. Any ideas why previously those didn’t work?

Coindropper
                              Participant
                                @coindropper

It’s because this one uses samples for the sounds instead of the ROM (it can be changed in the script). That’s why the file is a bit bigger than the others. Hopefully it stops the static in the sound also.

TNT2
                                Participant
                                  @tnt2

Played with the table for a few minutes tonight. It is a lot more fun when you have full audio! There was a little bit of static but that only happened a couple of times.

With multiball there was some slight stuttering for me. When I noticed that I turned on monitoring and I was getting 400fps so that is awesome.

I have noticed with each iteration the quality of the table keeps looking better and better. I know most of you play on your cabinets and in full screen but I play on my desktop. How awesome does this look?

Coindropper
                                  Participant
                                    @coindropper

TNT2, your settings look great! Would you mind posting so I can add them for the next update?

TNT2
                                    Participant
                                      @tnt2

Sure. They may need further tweaking but these were the settings when I took the screenshot.

Attachments:
                                      TNT2
                                      Participant
                                        @tnt2

It just occurred to me you were probably talking about the lighting.

Attachments:
                                        Sliderpoint
                                        Participant
                                          @sliderpoint
                                          MemberContributor

This is looking great!

I have a problem where if I shoot the ring to start a mode and then shoot the ring again, the ball gets stuck in the ring magnet and won’t drop out until ball search.

Also, There is a lot of strange ball behaviors. I suggest you should probably put in some hidden VP objects and ramps and disable collision on the primitive objects. VP just isn’t quite there yet for handling those complex collisions on the many faces of the primitives.

Lastly you need to up your playfield friction value to eliminate some of the ball “crawling” up and around the rubbers and posts. Something like .2 should help.

Excellent work so far!

-Mike

Coindropper
                                          Participant
                                            @coindropper

New WIP is up, I made a bone head move and accidentally deleted the original upload, but hopefully (I know it’s been a slooooow process) the ring shot is working better. Please give it a test and report any and all bugs/recommendations for me to work on (besides lighting… still don’t know how fren does it!). I appreciate everyone’s words of encouragement along the way! Let me know what you think.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?