Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    The Loafer
    Participant
    @theloafer

Yes, definetly a nitpick ;-) but let me explain this:

The reflection is alot more intense then people would think is real. But it’s actually not. It all depends on what is reflecting of whatever surface under certain lighting scenarios! When you look at the picture below you can see how the DMD is reflecting of the glas when using the (almost) same low room light as i did for the rendering. In real life there is a glas covering the playfield and what it does is reflecting light rays before they reach an object on the table. So it’s very unlikely IRL to have my BG reflection on that transparent plastic. For a couple of reasons such as noise and fireflies in the render which result in high render times we don’t use the PF glas as a render object. With no PF glas the BG light rays will reflect of the plastics alot more then on a real table. I decided to keep this to somehow make up for the missing PF glascover. Does it look realistic? NO! Does it look shiny? Yes it does if you keep your head still. And this is the point where you as a render guy have to decide whether you ignore this imperfection in the whole system or if you stop prerendering stuff for hundrets of hours and wait vor VPXI. I decided to wait already about half a year ago but couldn’t resist on this one! I could have used a different material for that plastic but it also looked somehow “wrong”. Same goes for the sidewalls. I had to make three textures from different angles so it looks at least halfway decent when changing the POV! This is all alot of work for reaching an imperfect perfection!

Thanks for bringing up a good point Rob! It was about time to explain why we have to take that next step in VP! I know that the Devs will work their asses off the next couple of years to make this happen! So my thanks goes out to all the guys who do the important stuff behind the scenes! :good: VPX is great, but for pushing the limit you will also have touch it and therefore you have to be close to it! If you know what i mean….

Screenshot_20200411-190930_YouTube

I totally get that. The bottom line is it comes down to either you do reflections or you don’t. I think the right decision was taken here lol. This table is very much on par with any other table as far as the complete package.  Superb job.  I think my snaps of Frank may have still been used by Dark for his new render, so I’m allowing myself to feel a bit proud (like 3.4% proud LOL) on this release eheh

#172309 Report
    Schreibi34
    Participant
    @schreibi34

Yes thats true! The process of rendering the PF with a perspective makes it necessary to rotate/ stretch the PF from a trapezoid to it’s original rectangular shape. In Krita this can only be done manually as more of an analog process. Thats the closest i could get. If anybody with PS knowledge wants to correct that go for it!

#172311 Report
    Schreibi34
    Participant
    @schreibi34

This was for @Skitso

#172318 Report
    Skitso
    Participant
    @skitso

Private message sent to Schreibi34 :-)

#172324 Report
    Schreibi34
    Participant
    @schreibi34

Tha ks, man! I will use them in the next update! :good:

#172327 Report
    947er
    Participant
    @947er

Some years ago i sold the original table. A wrong decision. Thank you for giving it back to me. The best Easter egg ever. Fantastic work!!!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    #172331 Report
    vogliadicane
    Participant
    @vogliadicane

Great release! Thanks a lot Schreibi, Herweh and all others involved. :good:

#172334 Report
    bord
    @bord
    MembervipContributorModerator

Schreibi, Herweh: Just top notch work all around. Knowing each of you and your strengths it is easy to see where each of you shine on this project. Honestly seeing all the flashers and lighting states and thinking about all the work it would take to pull it off like you did gave me a bit of builder’s anxiety, then I just sat back and enjoyed it. It looks excellent. It plays excellent. I like this game an awful lot more now that I’ve had a great version to get to know.

Thanks to both of you, Dark, Dids, and the other list of top notch contributors for pulling this together. Not a simple project to say the least.

#172344 Report
    bietekwiet
    Participant
    @bietekwiet

I have an issue: the ball is brown/black, never shiny silver no matter if I replace ball image and/or decal.

I am sure the brown is not an “easter egg” is it?

Is there a way I can solve this?

#172346 Report
    Schreibi34
    Participant
    @schreibi34

Hmm! I really don’t know whats wrong. You seem to be the only one? A screenshot would maybe help!

#172379 Report
    TNT2
    Participant
    @tnt2

I have the same. But I assume it’s because the light/dark shader is already slid far to the left. It’s not the pinball image.

#172393 Report
    Schreibi34
    Participant
    @schreibi34

What you guys could try is to move the Day/Night slider to the right. All visible prims have the Disable Lightung set to 0,75 which means that the ball will get bright much faster then the prims. If the table gets a bit to bright you could replace one of the LUT images with one that makes the table slightly Darker again.

#172405 Report
    GuruChoc
    Participant
    @guruchoc

Yep! So it’s not a rom that you used on the VP9 version?

Nah, never run the VP9 version at all, figured I didn’t want to look backwards in my new cab :)

G

#172407 Report
    GuruChoc
    Participant
    @guruchoc

I’m asking because i had a 6 Ball MB about a day or two before release!

I’ll play it some more today and see what happens, it will be on twitch so it will be recorded.

G

#172425 Report
    Shannon
    Participant
    @shannon1

I am having trouble with the rom “frankst”. I updated to the new VPinMame 3.3 and installed, but the sound is extremely garbled and repeats itself.

#172426 Report
    sebcemoi
    Participant
    @sebcemoi

What a fantastic release …
    Thank you so much @schreibi34 and all you guys involved in this masterpiece. Well done !!! :good:

#172440 Report
    Dark
    @dark
    vipMemberContributor

I had considered doing back glass reflection effect in the past but the reason I decided against it was it would be so POV dependent.  As Loafer mentions how far the reflection reaches depends on POV.  It doesn’t take a trained eye to know when something feels out of place.  However it has trade offs, the big win for it is it really adds to the impact of the GI turning off.  While all the lights are off the back of the table feels as though it’s bathed in the shadows and in combination with the 3D nature of Frank sitting center stage, it really gives a sense of 3D space.  It also really helps illustrate to the viewer how reflective the plastics can be under the right circumstances, if GI’s off the reflection is strong on the plastic, but less so if a light is on under it and mostly transparent when all lights on, these state changes are what help give it a more dynamic experience, it’s along the same lines of what I tried to achieve with JPark.  In a lot of ways making these tables is like trompe l’oeil paintings “to fool the eye” into thinking a flat image has depth.  I was thinking the DMD was integrated into the table for CoV, maybe this sort of effect could be done with the dmd mirrored in the future, if the dmd text was active it wouldn’t ruin anyone’s immersion.

3dcreation

#172446 Report
    The Loafer
    Participant
    @theloafer

So… I gave her a spin in VR. The moving frank head, the flashers, the look of everything, that steep right ramp and on the index everything is so clear   My god it’s an  incredible achievement, thank you all

#172453 Report
    JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

AND…zoiks…the flippers!  I just had a ball about to slowly drop off the tip of the left flipper and drain.  Quick flip created enough friction/spin?.. it went up and over to right flipper.  Nice.

#172461 Report
    bietekwiet
    Participant
    @bietekwiet

I have an issue: the ball is brown/black, never shiny silver no matter if I replace ball image and/or decal.

I am sure the brown is not an “easter egg” is it?

Is there a way I can solve this?

I fixed it by copying the ball and light settings from the TOTAN table.

Biggest culprit on the lighting settings were ambient and emittive color of lighting not set to black.

It looks like this now:

IMG_20200413_125705

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW