Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (Sega 1995) v1.0

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Shannon
    Participant
      @shannon1

https://youtu.be/enYZT7DGOj0

I hope this helps…..because all of my other tables are working. Any thoughts?

DJRobX
        @djrobx
        MemberModerator

DJRob gets credit for this too. He showed me this awhile back. I guess there are a few variations, and to be honest, I have no idea what is required and what isn’t. I copied over a textbox from another table.

Dim DesktopMode: DesktopMode = Frankenstein.ShowDT

TextBox.visible = DesktopMode

dim UseVPMDMD:UseVPMDMD = DesktopMode

And for some reason it appears to make a difference where it is inserted. It always needs to go before the LoadVPM line in the script.

This is the fully proper way to do it, and will work with both desktop and FS modes.    What I wrote prior was a quick hack version that just turns it on.  :)

DJRobX
          @djrobx
          MemberModerator

I am having trouble with the rom “frankst”. I updated to the new VPinMame 3.3 and installed, but the sound is extremely garbled and repeats itself.

Garbled sound on VPM tables usually means your CPU isn’t keeping up.    This one has a big DMD.  If you aren’t using Freezy’s DLL, you should switch.  The built in DMD of vpinmame is very slow.

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

@Dark : It is possible to get the ball up the ramp from the right flipper. But, yes, very hard. I’ve done it just a couple of times and stopped trying for it as it too often ended up with a drain straight down the middle. However. I agree in that the ramp is hard to get, from both flippers. I’m however struggling more with getting that shot when the ball is in motion than from a trapped one. I keep hitting the posts, on either end of the ramp, most of the time. :wacko:

@guruchoc : I experience the same a the author. Well, maybe 7 out of 10 times it locks. So, I would not have it any other way to be honest.

Again guys, such a fun table !

Yeah I have a tough time getting a clean shot without it hitting a target or side of ramp and slowing, though I have an easier time hitting it with a rolling shot than a cradled one it seems.  I’ve managed to actually get a few in a row with the ball rolling.  The vector for hitting that shot is very tight.

3dcreation

GuruChoc
            Participant
              @guruchoc

@thalamus backhand up the right ramp is a tough shot, on a real machine it is damn near impossible to do (but I do remember in a tournament having two balls trapped on the right flipper, one up the ramp and one into the captive hole, guy I was playing against ranked number 6 is OZ at the time couldn’t believe it when i did it, said he had never seen anyone do that before) I think it plays fine off the left flipper, I have combo’d it 6 times (a personal record) on this table, it is a hard shot in real life too, I think it is just about right the way it is.

I’ll also try hitting the Ice Cave a few more times this arvo and see if the sticking improves.

G

Herweh
              Participant
                @herweh
                vipMemberContributor

FYI, guys: The LUT init issue found by @skitso and the trapped ball under Frank found by @kds70 are addressed in this update version 1.0.1 too.

And another FYI: It‘s worth to check out the script options at the beginning of the table script, especially the ‚AnimateFranksHead‘ option. We have added a few modes to let Frank move his head, from no movement over randomly moving around to watching the nearest ball (very funny during a multiball) or looking at a triggered switch or a fired solenoid. The current default is that one @dark mentioned earlier, taken from some YouTube videos, moving the head around in some kind of a repeating pattern.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Meek424424
                Participant
                  @meek424424

I am a little late posting but wow! What a great addition to the collection. This table plays so well and is so much fun. Thank you so much for all the hard work that went into this and this wonderful contribution to the community. This one went right into my favorites. I really appreciate everything that you all do for this community. :)

The Loafer
                  Participant
                    @theloafer

@Dark

I don’t really feel like the angle is the main problem. The main problem is the head movement and the reflections not moving with it. If you really think about it VPXI would not be the solution for this. It would eliminate the angle POV problem, but with the camera not moving the reflections would still look like a decal! BAM headtracking or VR in combination with VPXI would be the only 100% solution!

Yeah that’s more or less what I was getting at being so POV dependent but even without any head tracking, on your HOT TIP table for example, there isn’t too much to ‘give away the effect’ like the dmd on Frank. So technically if we stand in front of cabinet and stay relatively still our immersion shouldn’t be jarred too badly but the dmd reflection being static ruins the immersion even if standing still.

I really like how the table turned out but I seem to struggle with the plastic ramp shot, it’s really hard to hit with a cradled ball, the vector/trajectory to hit the ramp is such a small window. I think this is probably fairly realistic to the real table but I think it should maybe have friction reduced on the ramp part slightly or something to make it more possible to hit it with cradled balls without it rolling back down, maybe the guy in the game play video I watched was just really good but he doesn’t seem to struggle hitting it with cradled balls so much. While it’s not impossible to hit the ramp with a cradled ball, it’s far more likely to successfully hit it with a rolling ball.

Just wanted to chime in with some comments on the “cradled shot from the left flipper”.   I’m a little confused from your following posts.  Are you referring to only cradled shots from the RIGHT flipper or does the above reflect the left flipper?  if it’s left flipper I tested this yesterday and was able to hit that shot cradle many times.  Sometimes VPX physics can be a bit finicky, especially when using nudging boards that I think could impact this shot.  I use one myself, maybe it’s helping ME with the cradle shot ;).

The Loafer
                    Participant
                      @theloafer

FYI, guys: The LUT init issue found by @skitso and the trapped ball under Frank found by @kds70 are addressed in this update version 1.0.1 too.

And another FYI: It‘s worth to check out the script options at the beginning of the table script, especially the ‚AnimateFranksHead‘ option. We have added a few modes to let Frank move his head, from no movement over randomly moving around to watching the nearest ball (very funny during a multiball) or looking at a triggered switch or a fired solenoid. The current default is that one @dark mentioned earlier, taken from some YouTube videos, moving the head around in some kind of a repeating pattern.

Yeah Frank following the ball is what I chose. Thank you for providing some nice script options, fantastic table.  I dare say, I wish I still had access to a real Frankenstein because I like it more now then I did when I played it and it’s all because of this outstanding release.  So cool to see Frank’s head move, then damn thing is always broken on the real pin!

mikebtech48
                      Participant
                        @mikebtech48

Really impressive work thanks for this table, it looks and plays great on VPX a winner.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        Dark
                          @dark
                          vipMemberContributor

@Dark

I don’t really feel like the angle is the main problem. The main problem is the head movement and the reflections not moving with it. If you really think about it VPXI would not be the solution for this. It would eliminate the angle POV problem, but with the camera not moving the reflections would still look like a decal! BAM headtracking or VR in combination with VPXI would be the only 100% solution!

Yeah that’s more or less what I was getting at being so POV dependent but even without any head tracking, on your HOT TIP table for example, there isn’t too much to ‘give away the effect’ like the dmd on Frank. So technically if we stand in front of cabinet and stay relatively still our immersion shouldn’t be jarred too badly but the dmd reflection being static ruins the immersion even if standing still.

I really like how the table turned out but I seem to struggle with the plastic ramp shot, it’s really hard to hit with a cradled ball, the vector/trajectory to hit the ramp is such a small window. I think this is probably fairly realistic to the real table but I think it should maybe have friction reduced on the ramp part slightly or something to make it more possible to hit it with cradled balls without it rolling back down, maybe the guy in the game play video I watched was just really good but he doesn’t seem to struggle hitting it with cradled balls so much. While it’s not impossible to hit the ramp with a cradled ball, it’s far more likely to successfully hit it with a rolling ball.

Just wanted to chime in with some comments on the “cradled shot from the left flipper”. I’m a little confused from your following posts. Are you referring to only cradled shots from the RIGHT flipper or does the above reflect the left flipper? if it’s left flipper I tested this yesterday and was able to hit that shot cradle many times. Sometimes VPX physics can be a bit finicky, especially when using nudging boards that I think could impact this shot. I use one myself, maybe it’s helping ME with the cradle shot ;).

I was saying I have a really tough time hitting the ramp with a cradled ball from the left flipper.  Not necessarily saying it’s wrong or anything, just commenting really to see what people think.  Two people including yourself with lots of hands on experience with the real table saying it feels right is all I needed to hear.

3dcreation

The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

no issue Dark, wasn’t sure if you meant right flipper cause I sure can’t get it up that ramp from the right flipper :).  Also, I’ve noticed a few posts recently discussing some physics issues like ball not falling into the plunger lane properly, balls stuck that can’t be replicated so kind of just wondering out loud if such a calibration issue could impact tough shots like that that ramp or some of these oddities a few seem affected by

Schreibi34
                            Participant
                              @schreibi34

Maybe we should limit the ball jump value so they don’t fly all across the table?

No gamepads and nudge sensors on my cab and no issues. So it’s possible.

Thalamus
                                @thalamus
                                ContributorMemberModerator

Nothing on this table needs to be changed for me ….. ( lots of periods – ;-) )

The Loafer
                                Participant
                                  @theloafer

For me (can’t specify that enough), any attempt at changing any physics probably means I’m not deleting the existing version until I’m satisfied it’s an improvement. That’s how much I’m impressed with the current state of this monster pin.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    ContributorMemberModerator

Well said ! :good:

I’m still absolutely in love with release. I start the pin, I play a game. I get annoyed at the result, then a 4 player game, me being the 4th player against bowen, keith and gagno.

Then if I don’t won – its a new round ;)

Rajo Joey
                                    Participant
                                      @joey2001

I played many games and I think, it is working great. And yesterday I played it in VR and I’m blown away.

For me the physics are perfect. And the quality with my Quest is very good. In a few weeks I hopefully get my Valve Index and I’m sure, that’s a eyeopener. Can’t wait. ???

Shannon
                                      Participant
                                        @shannon1

Sorry to bog down these posts. I now have the DMD working on my backglass instead of my pindmd3.  I finally got it to work by just unticking use external dmd(dll) on VpinMame. It is weird because it never affected the play on the table just the music and sounds?  I wonder if there is a problem with the newest version of Freezy’s 1.73. Anyway this is a masterpiece and thank you to all involved!

Blacksad
                                        Participant
                                          @blacksad

Thank you to the whole team of members involved in the realisation of this marvel and thank you for sharing your work :heart: !

Scotty VH
                                            @scottt
                                            ModeratorMember

I’ve played the real version of this table *A LOT* in the last 10 years.  I can’t praise the realism and physic enough!  It will be fun to share it with my friend that owns the real one after the Corona-virus thing has passed to see what he thinks.

I played with the settings on the flippers a bit to see if I can get make my percentage of completed ramp shots close to what I remember.  I did increase the power just less than 10%, and that seems to get it closer to the experience on both the left and right flipper (yes, you can backhand the ramp from the right flipper).

One thing I noticed but couldn’t tweak is the angle of the ball as it comes out of the upper scoop (Sarcophagus).  When the right flipper is held, the ball should hit above the tip of the flipper and roll up the flipper a bit.  Currently it bounces off the tip of the flipper, often going right back into the Sarcophagus scoop, which I don’t recall happening on the real table.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 175 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?